Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transfering Ownership, Pin to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning,

Does anyone have any idea how to expedite the change of ownership with Tesla I bought 3rd party? I sent them the V5 three and a half weeks ago and have once confirmed they are taking 3 weeks to change ownership.

With another Telsa S in the news as being stolen because of the key-less entry I'd like to set a pin to drive, but can't do that without Tesla changing the ownership.

How long does it take for someone to type in some details?

I guess if you aren't buying a Model 3 from Tesla they aren't that bothered at the moment. *grumble*

I had the same problem moving from my S to a second hand X. They said it would take up to 6 weeks, once I then asked them to guarantee that the previous owner no longer had access to the vehicle (I did quote GDPR regulations at them) the transfer was completed the same day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pikey and DJP31
I've decided to keep re-sending the same email over and over again till someone either answers me or blocks me, it seems petty but it takes me 30 seconds and I'm reminded every morning when i want to summon the car out of the garage instead of squeezing past a dirty car. It makes me feel better

I've been waiting 6 weeks with no response. I sent several emails to all the Tesla addresses I could find. Still no response.
I bought my preowned Model S on the 5th July and sent off the required info that evening. I got the welcome email on the 21st August and now have full app access

A couple of trips to my local service centre about something else had me asking the staff there, but all they could do was reassure me it would be soon

To simplify my answer...

7 weeks

My change (mid-July this year) was processed in about a week. I did tease the Service Centre staff that it was pathetic that the UK Government could register my ownership digitally in a few minutes but Tesla - one of the world’s great software companies - was going to take a month.

I gave them 3 weeks then got a 2 day commitment on chat, it failed to meet that so I got assertive after I was told another 2 weeks or so, I just kept asking what had changed in the past 2 days outside of Tesla's control. The first chat cut me off, the second did the transfer in real-time.
I'm sure it can do it.

The simple answer is for a "transfer to new owner" field for the existing owner to enter the new owner's email address. No involvement required from Tesla unless an issue occurs.

I gave them 3 weeks then got a 2 day commitment on chat, it failed to meet that so I got assertive after I was told another 2 weeks or so, I just kept asking what had changed in the past 2 days outside of Tesla's control. The first chat cut me off, the second did the transfer in real-time.
I'm sure it can do it.

The simple answer is for a "transfer to new owner" field for the existing owner to enter the new owner's email address. No involvement required from Tesla unless an issue occurs.
So I assume that if you want or need to change your email address on your Tesla account then it can take up to 6 weeks?
Maybe less time making pointless games and fart cushions for their cars and put some programming resources into this.
Shareholders need to ask these types of questions

Persistence paid off!!!!!!!!!

I got on chat again for the 3rd time and asked when I'd get ownership transferred. They said they were processing start of July. I said that was unacceptable, I don't want to get idle fees for no knowing my car is done, and I need to be able to contact service. Still no joy. Eventually it went on the route of how do I call these people and how do I escalate.

I then got told it would be done today. I politely said I hope so but I can't believe that, can I get a ticket number. Got a ticket number.

Got off chat, went to the toilet and came back to my phone with an email saying "Welcome to your Tesla"

If it takes less time to do this than going to the toilet, why are they backlogged 2 months!

P.S Pin to drive now available and my garage is still to tight an opening for summon but at least I can access the car.... Success!

Thanks Gaz_

I genuinely have an issue with one of my key fobs intermittently refusing to work despite changing the battery. On the day I bought my Model S (12th August 2019), I managed to get locked out at the Portsmouth Supercharger with the phone locked in the car and had to rely on a good Samaritan so that I could phone the previous owner and get them to unlock for me using their app.

I received my documents and emailed through to Tesla with photos of the documentation and my licence on 15th August. I followed up with a webchat as suggested here on 30th August 2019 and I got the feeling that the agent thought I may be making up the key fob issue in an attempt to jump a queue (understandable - I was telling the truth but I was also trying to jump the queue). She was very non-committal saying the Transfer Team deal with requests strictly in the order that they are received but that she would ask them to treat as urgent and also refer the key fob issue to the Service Team.

I was duly contacted by the Service Team and the car was added to my account on the next working day. Not sure if that was someone in the Service Team in the circumstances or whether that was the Transfer Team but I am happy either way.

Reactions: Rooster6655