Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring a Model 3 reservation = no problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He didn't actually transfer his reservation, he just registered the car in someone else's name. We've known this could be done for a while now, but there needs to be a significant amount of trust on both sides to do something like that.

I really dont see why its an issue with Tesla to allow your family and or close friend take your reservation. After all a sale is a sale. If you were willing to hand over to TESLA your reservation fee for over a year then you should be able to give your reservation to a close friend or relative period. I do understand the no resale policy that makes sense but lets be honest only a very small percentage of TESLA reservation are being resold as profit. I currently have a reservation and plan to gift it to a family member or my best friend.

I really dont see why its an issue with Tesla to allow your family and or close friend take your reservation. After all a sale is a sale. If you were willing to hand over to TESLA your reservation fee for over a year then you should be able to give your reservation to a close friend or relative period. I do understand the no resale policy that makes sense but lets be honest only a very small percentage of TESLA reservation are being resold as profit. I currently have a reservation and plan to gift it to a family member or my best friend.
ok then how do you prove to tesla who is a "friend". you cant, this is stupid.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I transferred my first Model 3 reservation to a friend and it was painless ... :cool:
all of the new owner information was uploaded to the Tesla owners site after the configuration was completed.

Not a problem ... no verification is required. :cool:

ok then how do you prove to tesla who is a "friend". you cant, this is stupid.

upload_2018-2-2_19-40-5.png

There is perhaps a significant PR problem with not allowing 'friends' to use your reservation. Even though homosexual marriage is allowed, it's still a very touchy issue for some gays. Life partners might not wish to make their sex lives a matter of public record. Somebody buying a car for their common law spouse is not unusual, and should not be rejected.

So they would have to either allow no transfers at all, or include 'friends' as immediate family.

Reactions: xhawk101
Seems like most auctions on ebay are going for 2-3k$ now, some higher. Doesnt seem worth it.

But, what are the auctions of exactly?

The reservation? How they heck does one pull off selling a reservation on ebay? I wouldn't go for one even at $200 because it's likely a scam.

If it's a used Model 3 car itself then $2K-$3K over price paid is actually closer to $10K if you factor in the federal tax credit. Which anyone selling a used Model 3 would likely consider taking advantage of. Although I don't know of anyone making that much right now. I tend to think the big demand is either for the higher end AWD version (what I want), or the SR version.

I transferred my first Model 3 reservation to a friend and it was painless ... :cool:
all of the new owner information was uploaded to the Tesla owners site after the configuration was completed.

Not a problem ... no verification is required. :cool:

View attachment 277772
So @FlatSix911, your point is that once your invite was received and you went online to configure, that's the time that you can basically put in whatever owner name you want, whatever DL/insurance info you want for registration, etc. and from there the reservation has effectively been transferred from you to someone else. Correct? This makes sense and seems really easy. So during this configuration process, you had the opportunity to provide a brand new name/email/etc to Tesla that replaced the info they have on you within the RN? I appreciate your feedback because I am considering having my brother in law, who is a Tesla owner, put in a reservation on my behalf (a non-Tesla owner, but day two reservation holder). But he's elderly so I don't have the heart to complicate his life...I'd have to be confident that the process is simple and easy for him before making the ask. I am quite content waiting for my Mar-May delivery (Troy says July, also fine), but I suspect that soon enough I'm going to get bumped beyond 9/30, which means losing $3750. That's a lot to lose. Thanks for your clarity/thoughts.

So @FlatSix911, your point is that once your invite was received and you went online to configure, that's the time that you can basically put in whatever owner name you want, whatever DL/insurance info you want for registration, etc. and from there the reservation has effectively been transferred from you to someone else. Correct? This makes sense and seems really easy. So during this configuration process, you had the opportunity to provide a brand new name/email/etc to Tesla that replaced the info they have on you within the RN?

I appreciate your feedback because I am considering having my brother in law, who is a Tesla owner, put in a reservation on my behalf (a non-Tesla owner, but day two reservation holder). But he's elderly so I don't have the heart to complicate his life...I'd have to be confident that the process is simple and easy for him before making the ask. I am quite content waiting for my Mar-May delivery (Troy says July, also fine), but I suspect that soon enough I'm going to get bumped beyond 9/30, which means losing $3750. That's a lot to lose. Thanks for your clarity/thoughts.

Yes, you just enter your information in the system and you are good to go. You could even do it for him if he prefers ... :cool:

Has anyone ever confirmed whether the priority-holder must be physically present at delivery? Is there anything that needs to be done that can't be accomplished at my local Tesla store or by overnight mail or fax? I'm trying to pass my priority reservation to my parents, but they live about 5000 miles away from me so there is substantial cost to traveling, particularly last minute.

I called the Costa Mesa CA Delivery Center yesterday and asked about Tesla Policy in regards to reservation transfers. They told me it is totally acceptable to transfer your Reservation to an immeditate family member . Wife, children, siblings and parents. So this should mean your all ok for them to take delivery on their own.

Has anyone ever confirmed whether the priority-holder must be physically present at delivery? Is there anything that needs to be done that can't be accomplished at my local Tesla store or by overnight mail or fax? I'm trying to pass my priority reservation to my parents, but they live about 5000 miles away from me so there is substantial cost to traveling, particularly last minute.

You do not need to be present for the delivery. You will just need to transfer the vehicle from your Tesla web account to their new one.

Reactions: suwaneedad
A possibly related question (and my first post): I have two Model 3 reservations, one I called in late in the game presently scheduled delivery is late 2018. Then a friend told me she was getting one much earlier through a friend who owned an S. So I contacted a neighbor who has an S and he agreed to put in another reservation for me which I just got notified has a delivery of "March to May" and I came here to find out How to get it transfered to me. From what I've read it appears to be no problem and I certainly hope that's true. But since I registered with Tesla and have that account, I wonder if that could cause any trouble when we go to configure my car on my neighbor's reservation?