Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel-Dengue Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
Firstly, sorry to interrupt the Tesla information flow.

My family plans on going to the Big Island this month, and although there is no official travel advisory, I was wondering what the 'locals' are saying with respect to the Dengue Fever outbreak? I tend to be a skeptic and tourism is so big in your state, I imagine it would take a lot to put in a travel advisory.

I have two small kids, and although there only a five per cent chance or so of having 'hemorrhagic' Dengue, (if they get it) I just would like to make a well informed decision on whether to go or not.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMO, it's safe to travel to the big island...the number of new cases has slowed significantly and when you consider that the big island has about 30,000 tourists a day plus a resident population of about 190,000, the 250+ denque fever cases is nominal....just be sure to bring mosquito repellent.

http://health.hawaii.gov/docd/files/2015/12/Travelers-to-HI_2015rev.pdf

Thanks nanimac. That information is helpful. It's hard to get an ideas Omarion's websites wether things are slowing or picking up. Hopefully for residents and visitors it stops soon. I believe it is Puerto Rico where 95 per cent or so of the population has had it. We are all biased by personal experience, and my friends brother had really bad hemorrhagic dengue, hence my inquiry.