Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip planning with one SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first real highway trip in my Model S. Seems we've avoided Hermine. So, I 'm driving from home to the beach (where I won't necessarily have any easy connectivity to charge). I can easily get to a SC along the route 145 miles from home, then another 50 miles to our destination. So, is there any reason NOT to charge up to my max of ~240 miles of charge at home before leaving? Or should I just leave home with about 185 miles of charge and replenish at the SC? Thanks

My first real highway trip in my Model S. Seems we've avoided Hermine. So, I 'm driving from home to the beach (where I won't necessarily have any easy connectivity to charge). I can easily get to a SC along the route 145 miles from home, then another 50 miles to our destination. So, is there any reason NOT to charge up to my max of ~240 miles of charge at home before leaving? Or should I just leave home with about 185 miles of charge and replenish at the SC? Thanks

If you won't have access to charging at your destination, I would always account for vampire drain and charge before I get to my destination.

So, take a few minutes and stop at the SC to boost yourself and cover the vampire loss for the trip

Range charge if you want. It is certainly not necessary for this trip.
Let`s say you want 150 rm to get from the SC to the beach and back to the SC. If you start at 240 and get to the SC with say 80, it'll take around 10-15 minutes to get to 150. If you start a 185 and get to the SC with 25, it'll probably take 15-20 minutes to get to 150.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
100%, or at least near 100%. There's no reason not to.

If you don't have destination charging, it's really a two supercharger trip. The extra charge at the start will decrease your total trip time, cover any off nominal things like weather or side trips, and pad against any charging speed anomalies.

I nearly always range charge for a similar trip but I don't stress if I don't get there. Try to time it up but if you are 5-10 miles short - doesn't matter much.

At the beach, I've done 120V - which was fine to get to full. I've used L2 when out to lunch. And I've fought ridiculously hard to get a resort to move their golf carts from blocking the Tesla HPWC's on the wall.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc