TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trip planning with one SC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ldgrmnmc, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ldgrmnmc

ldgrmnmc Member

My first real highway trip in my Model S. Seems we've avoided Hermine. So, I 'm driving from home to the beach (where I won't necessarily have any easy connectivity to charge). I can easily get to a SC along the route 145 miles from home, then another 50 miles to our destination. So, is there any reason NOT to charge up to my max of ~240 miles of charge at home before leaving? Or should I just leave home with about 185 miles of charge and replenish at the SC? Thanks

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

If you won't have access to charging at your destination, I would always account for vampire drain and charge before I get to my destination.

So, take a few minutes and stop at the SC to boost yourself and cover the vampire loss for the trip

3. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Range charge if you want. It is certainly not necessary for this trip.
    Let`s say you want 150 rm to get from the SC to the beach and back to the SC. If you start at 240 and get to the SC with say 80, it'll take around 10-15 minutes to get to 150. If you start a 185 and get to the SC with 25, it'll probably take 15-20 minutes to get to 150.

• Like x 1
  4. bxr140

bxr140 Member

100%, or at least near 100%. There's no reason not to.

If you don't have destination charging, it's really a two supercharger trip. The extra charge at the start will decrease your total trip time, cover any off nominal things like weather or side trips, and pad against any charging speed anomalies.

5. Stiction

Stiction Member

Agreed. It's not required to do but it will save you a bit of time at the first SC. Get plenty there so you can go out and back and doodle around at your destination.

• Informative x 1
  6. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

I nearly always range charge for a similar trip but I don't stress if I don't get there. Try to time it up but if you are 5-10 miles short - doesn't matter much.

At the beach, I've done 120V - which was fine to get to full. I've used L2 when out to lunch. And I've fought ridiculously hard to get a resort to move their golf carts from blocking the Tesla HPWC's on the wall.

• Like x 1