Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trouble in NC: Senate Bill 327

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doh, thanks for pointing that out, hadn't checked the various 'store' threads for a while so didn't realize we were officially in queue at this point. That would be a good location when compared with Crabtree or Triangle Town Center as far as parking / congestion goes.

I like the choice of Southpoint. I always thought it would be between that and North Hills. North Hills is frequented by higher income shoppers, but Southpoint is frequented by more shoppers. Looks like George wanted the foot traffic to start building up desire for Gen III.

Anybody know of any upcoming activity/debate etc. with this bill? I'm driving to NC next week to visit my Mom and considering stopping off in Raleigh. Interesting side note, I looked up the bill on the NC Senate website and noted that one of the co-sponsors is my Mom's representative. He also happens to be a high school acquaintance of mine.

Anybody know of any upcoming activity/debate etc. with this bill? I'm driving to NC next week to visit my Mom and considering stopping off in Raleigh. Interesting side note, I looked up the bill on the NC Senate website and noted that one of the co-sponsors is my Mom's representative. He also happens to be a high school acquaintance of mine.

It sounds like you have a mission that you WILL choose to accept!

TSLA shows off Tesla S P85 to N.C. lawmakers - Charlotte Business Journal

The high-end electric car from Tesla Motors Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) was on display near the Raleigh legislative building, where company executives were lobbying against a bill that would further restrict car manufacturers from selling directly to consumers, the only way Tesla moves its vehicles.

N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis took the Tesla for a 20-minute spin and declared that “the pickup is unreal.” He also said there would have to be a “strong case” to not allow Tesla to sell in North Carolina, according to a report from the TBJ.

In fact, Tillis said “we should be encouraging” companies like Tesla, which develops and now manufactures nearly all aspects of the car in the United States.

Like many of you before me here, I just heard about this thru Triangle Business Journal. I'm absolutely appalled that it was even introduced, and NOW has been passed by the Senate. House Speaker Tillis is absolutely correct that "we should be encouraging" companies like this. Not just here in NC, but all across the US. So NOW is the time, fellow NCians to raise hell with your House representatives to defeat this bill. This is nothing more than political cronyism at its worst.
And I fervently hope that if the House is dumb enough to pass this, that Tesla will file a federal lawsuit against the state.

Now while they're trying to make it impossible to buy a Tesla, they're going to charge you more for the privilege of driving one if you do get your hands on it:

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/29/north-carolina-drivers-could-face-additional-fee-for-going-green/
EVs aren't paying gas tax which is much of what funds road repair, so a separate tax isn't unreasonable, though I think the gas tax is becoming obsolete and how we fund roads needs to be rethought. Gas was a reasonable proxy for a tax on road use, but as vehicles shift to other power sources like electricity the gas tax becomes a poor proxy.