Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Troublesome noise at ~50MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a list of cosmetic things that need work on my X that I picked up 10 days ago. Also my brakes will produce a high-pitched squeal occasionally. However, one is more worrisome and wondering if anyone has experienced it.

When my car accelerates normally to around 48-51 MPH, there's a grinding noise that appears to be coming from the passenger side back wheel. It lasts a few seconds if I stay in that speed range. I was able to reproduce consistently this morning and had been hearing for a while but thought it might just be something in the trunk. I did note that if the noise happened and then i slowed down to like 40 MPH and then accelerated through 50 MPH, then it wouldn't happen. It seems to be happening when going from low speeds to 50 MPH.

It's hard to hear in this video with the background noise, but it starts as the car hits 49-50 mph.

• Funny
Reactions: Southpaw
Sounds like rattling to me, as if something is loose and 50mph generates the resonant frequency required to make it vibrate. It may be something that's inaccessible to you, but I would go over everything near the area and ensure it's all tied down firmly, especially anything in the lower trunk.

I suspect you won't find anything and it's something that Tesla is going to have to investigate.

That grinding noise could be your rotors being scored. My X in back in the shop right now my brake pads and rotors are being replaced due to scoring. There's only 30 miles on my car.

Mine will make that noise when sitting in the garage waking up as the spoiler stretches and yawns, but becomes more pronounced when I hit 45 mph and the spoiler changes positions. It is making a grinding noise then there is a rattle. Waiting for a call back from the SC. Not optimistic that it can be fixed quickly. It has been going on for more than a month, but I do not like the loaner S's as my wife won't ride in them.

Last edited:
Mine will make that noise when sitting in the garage waking up, but becomes more pronounced when I hit 45 mph and the spoiler changes positions. It is making a grinding noise then there is a rattle. Waiting for a call back from the SC. Not optimistic that it can be fixed quickly. It has been going on for more than a month, but I do not like the loaner S's as my wife won't ride in them.

Sounds like the spoiler for sure. Mine is misaligned too, although I don't notice it at speed - only when the spoiler goes from closed to open. The technician said it was definitely the spoiler when I mentioned the noise, and pointed to where the spoiler rubs against the glass when he came out to replace our 3rd row seats. It is fixable, but will unfortunately need a trip to the SC to get it done. Mine sounds like it's getting a little worse now, too, and you can see the groove it's scraping on the spoiler leg.

Sounds like the spoiler for sure. Mine is misaligned too, although I don't notice it at speed - only when the spoiler goes from closed to open. The technician said it was definitely the spoiler when I mentioned the noise, and pointed to where the spoiler rubs against the glass when he came out to replace our 3rd row seats. It is fixable, but will unfortunately need a trip to the SC to get it done. Mine sounds like it's getting a little worse now, too, and you can see the groove it's scraping on the spoiler leg.

EXACTLY! I too can see the scratched area. Timing not great as I will have to do a semi-hurried road trip. Don't want to make it in my wife's car. Also, not confident that they will have needed parts when I take it in.

This happened to mine and they had to replace the affected strut, glass insert and top of the spoiler. It turns out that they need to remove the painted skin to replace the strut. Removing it destroys it since it is glued down. When they replaced mine, they did a poor job of gluing the new skin down so they are going to have to replace it again.

This happened to mine and they had to replace the affected strut, glass insert and top of the spoiler. It turns out that they need to remove the painted skin to replace the strut. Removing it destroys it since it is glued down. When they replaced mine, they did a poor job of gluing the new skin down so they are going to have to replace it again.

Uh oh. When you say "glass insert" do you mean rear windshield? Had mine tinted with a pricey tint....

• Funny
Reactions: ptsagcy
Oh gosh...there goes the Xpel and Ceramic Pro???? I hope not.