Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. If the frunk really opened at 115 mph, the car would almost certainly be in the ditch by the time it was stopped. Even at 60 mph going from infinite to zero visibility in less than a second with no warning (think ice fog) is scary.

I had this happen to me in a 1973 Volkswagen Thing on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in 1990. The secondary latch/hook did not catch the plate and the hood (another vehicle with a frunk, interestingly) flew up into the windshield. While scary, I could still drive since I could see the stripes out of either side window. I made it over safely with no problems. That said, I would not recommend doing this.

Alright just here to clear some stuff up, no one has any reason to believe me, here is the whole truth, I'd be glad to answer any questions that any of you have.
I really like tesla brand, I sincerely apologize to all members of this forum who I've offended with my obnoxious behavior, I would never intentionally bash on tesla, ever.
A: I was just "17" at the time of this incident
B: I did fabricate some details of the story, for example, the speed of the incident.
C: I was extremely irresponsible at the time of this incident.
D: No one was put at any danger because of me at any point, nor did I break any laws.
E: This was not a scam, this was not an story full of lies, even though some events were exaggerated.
F: My Parents weren't involved in any of this.
Here the real story of how it all went down - No exaggerations
I asked the dealership to allow me to take the car on an extended test drive, the dealership obviously saw that i was a serious buyer and not someone who was just init for the fun of it. I took the car home, I tried to see if this car would be a good fit in my daily life. I obviously opened the frunk at one point in my driveway. I made sure to close it properly, I was sure that i wanted this car, I was told it would be possible to take delivery of the car I was given. So I got my Macbook pro, and all my banking details and planed to go to the dealership to finalize this car. As I drove out of my drive my way, I did here a series of warning sounds, I immediately tried to figure out the problem, which was just the SEAT Belt warning. After buckling up, I started driving again, then as suddenly the frunk flies open, for sakes of accuracy, I was going in between 0-35 MPH, not 115 like I stated earlier, not 65 like I stated before, but nonetheless the frunk did fly open, I didn't accidentally hit the button the key fob, I didn't tap the button on the screen, I didn't pull any manual lever (if there is any). I was immediately able to come to a stop because I wasn't going at insane speeds. The hood only had 2 points of damage, the creases on both sides of the hood. CHP or Hayward police did not contact me, although that would have made an interesting call. My parents haven't ever bailed me out, because i haven't ever been in need of bail. It wasnt my dad paying for the car, It was ME, as unrealistic and ridiculous that may sound. Continuing, I arrived at the dealership, they came out took pics, i left the car and left. I call my insurance company explained to them that a car i was on a test drive, the frunk flew open and got damaged badly. Tesla has not responded to my insurance company, Tesla has seeked any damages, only reason that i can think of is that after reviewing the logs, they realized i was not at any fault. Anyways, i am no longer that irresponsible, lying, idiot i was, I am now a proud owner of a p85d. any i would like to rectify the situation in any way i can. once again i appologize for the lies. Tesla did not threaten to sue me, i was not contacted by legal. Please ask any questions that I did not clear up.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not a troll sitting behind a computer, i am just an average 18y/o. I did lie, not to troll, just trying see if it has happened to anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know who icewoman is, i just know i am PriusMPG on n prius chat, once again, my parents couldn't care more becauause i earn my own money, i spend it responsibly, i dont cause any trouble, my mommy and daddy did not spank me.

- - - Updated - - -

Update, turns out my insurance did pay and close this claim, here is an atached estimate
Capture.PNG

Alright just here to clear some stuff up, no one has any reason to believe me, here is the whole truth, I'd be glad to answer any questions that any of you have...

... I am now a proud owner of a p85d. any i would like to rectify the situation in any way i can. once again i appologize for the lies. Tesla did not threaten to sue me, i was not contacted by legal. Please ask any questions that I did not clear up.
- - - Updated - - -

I dont know who icewoman is, i just know i am PriusMPG on n prius chat,

I'm sure you can understand that some people would probably like to see some proof that you're really who you say you are, in light of all that has transpired, and in light of the fact that you acknowledge massive exaggerations and even lies in your story in the past.

That being said, with some reasonable proof provided, I'd be willing to believe you are who you say you are. It makes sense to me that if you do now own a P85D that you would want to be able to participate in Tesla Motors Club forums.

There are still many parts of your story that I wonder about, but as a pretty simple start, how about posting some pictures to help us believe you? For example, a screenshot showing yourself logged in to Prius Chat as PriusMPG and to this forum as ItwasME would be a good start. Perhaps a photo of your P85D window sticker, with personal information blocked out if you feel the need. And you could also share the last digits of your VIN, as many of us routinely do in our sig files.

You seem to be making an effort to set things right. If you really are who you say you are, and get people to believe that, I expect you will find yourself welcomed to the forum. But I'm sure you can understand that in light of where you are starting from, people are probably going to want to see some evidence that you really are who you claim to be.

Let me add that I'm just writing as a regular forum member. The moderators may feel differently. This is just my opinion. I know in the past moderators have often said anyone is welcome and we should generally believe people's stories rather than doubt them, etc. I'm only suggesting some simple proof in this situation because ItwasME basically offered to provide it.

Edit: I was posting this before ItwasME edited his post to include the insurance claim.

ItwasME - I have to say, your adding the insurance claim makes me believe you less. How is it that for months you've thought your insurance was not involved and then just after you decide to finally post about it on the forum you suddenly realize that your insurance did pay? That makes absolutely no sense, and, to be honest, makes about as much sense as Tesla allowing a 17 year old to take a car on an extended test drive. (That was one of the parts of your story I still had a major problem with.)

I'm now sorry I've spent this much time on this.

Last edited:
True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand n...

Alright just here to clear some stuff up, no one has any reason to believe me, here is the whole truth, I'd be glad to answer any questions that any of you have.
I really like tesla brand, I sincerely apologize to all members of this forum who I've offended with my obnoxious behavior, I would never intentionally bash on tesla, ever.
A: I was just "17" at the time of this incident
B: I did fabricate some details of the story, for example, the speed of the incident.
C: I was extremely irresponsible at the time of this incident.
D: No one was put at any danger because of me at any point, nor did I break any laws.
E: This was not a scam, this was not an story full of lies, even though some events were exaggerated.
F: My Parents weren't involved in any of this.
Here the real story of how it all went down - No exaggerations
I asked the dealership to allow me to take the car on an extended test drive, the dealership obviously saw that i was a serious buyer and not someone who was just init for the fun of it. I took the car home, I tried to see if this car would be a good fit in my daily life. I obviously opened the frunk at one point in my driveway. I made sure to close it properly, I was sure that i wanted this car, I was told it would be possible to take delivery of the car I was given. So I got my Macbook pro, and all my banking details and planed to go to the dealership to finalize this car. As I drove out of my drive my way, I did here a series of warning sounds, I immediately tried to figure out the problem, which was just the SEAT Belt warning. After buckling up, I started driving again, then as suddenly the frunk flies open, for sakes of accuracy, I was going in between 0-35 MPH, not 115 like I stated earlier, not 65 like I stated before, but nonetheless the frunk did fly open, I didn't accidentally hit the button the key fob, I didn't tap the button on the screen, I didn't pull any manual lever (if there is any). I was immediately able to come to a stop because I wasn't going at insane speeds. The hood only had 2 points of damage, the creases on both sides of the hood. CHP or Hayward police did not contact me, although that would have made an interesting call. My parents haven't ever bailed me out, because i haven't ever been in need of bail. It wasnt my dad paying for the car, It was ME, as unrealistic and ridiculous that may sound. Continuing, I arrived at the dealership, they came out took pics, i left the car and left. I call my insurance company explained to them that a car i was on a test drive, the frunk flew open and got damaged badly. Tesla has not responded to my insurance company, Tesla has seeked any damages, only reason that i can think of is that after reviewing the logs, they realized i was not at any fault. Anyways, i am no longer that irresponsible, lying, idiot i was, I am now a proud owner of a p85d. any i would like to rectify the situation in any way i can. once again i appologize for the lies. Tesla did not threaten to sue me, i was not contacted by legal. Please ask any questions that I did not clear up.

- - - Updated - - -

Im not a troll sitting behind a computer, i am just an average 18y/o. I did lie, not to troll, just trying see if it has happened to anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know who icewoman is, i just know i am PriusMPG on n prius chat, once again, my parents couldn't care more becauause i earn my own money, i spend it responsibly, i dont cause any trouble, my mommy and daddy did not spank me.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships and they certainly don't normally let a 17 year old take one of their cars home for an extended test drive. If you are telling the truth now why the need to lie about the speed and the other details? You could have just asked if this had happened before not made up a story for attention. An average 18 y/o doesn't buy s P85D with their own money (or anyone else's money for that matter).

Last edited:
I dont want to post my vin details or windows sticker because i dont want me or my car ever being identified, other than that I will gladly post me logged into priuschat. I would think posting a picture of the insurance estimate would be enough.
Capture1.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

The story is true, some of its details arent, I didnt realy think of it as such a big deal. Tesla did allow me to take the car home I wonder how I can prove it to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Last I logged into my insurances website was when i was still insured by them, After posting this, idecied to send a message to my adjuster and see where were at, then realizing that they had issued a payment and the case was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

I obviosly stqated that none of you guys havve any reason to belive me, I am who I am, I posted the insurance estimate to show you that it is real, what would you believe? a picture of the car in my drive way?

Sure, first of all this isnt my only car, The cars i currently own, are a 14' Gx, 07' Rx, 14' Es, 14' PiP aside form the tesla. I saved up money since I was 16, well since late 15 y/o, I worked allot of hours at my dads shop, management and repairing cars, I practically own that shop because of how many permits are in my name, Ive always loved the roadster on my wallpaper, so instead of a Lamborghini or a Ferrari, Tesla was my dream car. I just saved up and around 50k, then I started investing it in used cars to buy and sell, cars that sell fast, i would buy them in poor condition, flip them, saved about 400k, got depressed at my life, blew it on cars.

What 18yr old can afford a $130k P85D? Either your a genius, which clearly you are not by the way you behave, or it's not your money you bought the car with (daddy's), or you hit the lottery, or you're lying. Regardless, I have no respect for you and could care less about you being on here bragging that you now own a P85D and feel the need to identify yourself "itwasme". Who cares. If I were you and the story were true I'd rather not go around associating your new P85D ownership to the brat that smashed up the loaner. Why do you feel the need to start this all up again "ever wonder what happened to the OP" blah blah blah no I don't. Nobody does. You don't deserve to own a Tesla. I can't stand brats like you. "Gimme gimme gimme". Go return your tesla please there's other dealerships that would rather you give them your money instead.

so either you are jealous, or you cant understand that I made a mistake that i am genuinely sorry about, I lied about the speed, I didn't smash up the Tesla, I worked hard for the money, I didn't have it given to me. I don't need to be a genius to own a Tesla, clearly you aren't.