Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump pulls out of Paris climate deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BY:
BEN SHAPIRO
JUNE 2, 2017
An article from a professional climate change denier? Gee thanks.

These are the same people who said climate change isn't happening. Then they said maybe it's happening, but not because of humans. Then they said maybe it's humans but there's nothing we can do about it. The latest lie is "maybe climate change is a good thing!"
How many times does someone have to lie to you before you wise up? At some point your gullibility becomes your own fault, especially if you're keeping yourself intentionally ignorant or refusing to accept information when it's presented to you.

These are the same people who said climate change isn't happening. Then they said maybe it's happening, but not because of humans. Then they said maybe it's humans but there's nothing we can do about it. The latest lie is "maybe climate change is a good thing!"
How many times does someone have to lie to you before you wise up?
there is no conclusive proof of the cause of climate changes, I thought that you were so well informed.
List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming - Wikipedia

years ago the most learned scholars thought the sun rotated around the earth.

the point is that all this "proven" stuff is really just conjecture.
but if you have definitive data I am fairly certain that there are plenty of people around the world who would really want to see your empirical data.

Eh... that's an assumption. I'd replace "most" with "many".

There was a pretty good write-up on this in fivethirtyeight.com. They point to a couple of surveys that show pulling out of the treaty was opposed by most Americans, including a majority in every state.

An overwhelming majority of Democrats (87 percent) and a clear majority of independents (61 percent) wanted the U.S. to stay in the climate agreement, according to a poll that was released in April and conducted jointly by Politico and Harvard’s School of Public Health. Overall, 62 percent of Americans wanted the U.S. to remain part of the accord (among Republicans, 56 percent favored withdrawal). A survey by the Yale Program on Climate Change Communication concluded that a majority of Americans in every state wanted the U.S. to remain in the Paris agreement.

So in the simplest terms, Trump’s move was broadly unpopular.
Was Trump’s Paris Exit Good Politics?

IMO, this move is more about Trump appealing to his base than to the majority of Americans. Having said that, he did get voted into office.

Last edited:

How many times does someone have to lie to you before you wise up? At some point your gullibility becomes your own fault, especially if you're keeping yourself intentionally ignorant or refusing to accept information when it's presented to you.
I know enough about Republicans and human nature to say this:

They do not view your point as a series of lies, but as a series of evolving questions, concerns, and possibilities. They want a series of rationalizations that let them continue the status quo.

Reactions: slipnslider
Eh... that's an assumption. I'd replace "most" with "many".
Actually, it's settled science (just like climate change). Numerous polls have measured majority support for staying in the Paris agreement.
These polls all measured 60 to 70% in favor of staying in the agreement.
Most Americans Support Staying in the Paris Agreement
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...nks-the-us-should-stay-in-the-paris-agreement
Most Americans Wanted The U.S. To Stay In The Paris Agreement. Will It Matter In 2020? | HuffPost

I'm Canadian and a huge fan of America, but I just can't understand how Trump still has a support base.
could you lack of understanding be rooted in the fact that you are a canadian?
I don't try to understand why canadians have their moronic PM. but I don't interject my opinions in other country's politics.

Last edited:
My opinion of Trump supporters were not that high earlier, and now with kort's arguments here, it is has taken a new low. I think Trump supporters have a low awareness and understanding of many of the basic concepts on job creation, trade, environment, foreign relations, etc.. No wonder Trump won big on rural areas with low education.

As a technical matter, the US can't leave the agreement until November 2021 (after the next election) so this move has no practical effect except to upset everyone and mobilize them for action.
This is part of the irony I mentioned above. In an effort to placate fossil fuel interests and their supporters by taking this headline grabbing action, it only serves to draw more attention to and invigorate citizen participation in addressing climate change issues. This includes influencing many state and local governmental bodies to take actions independently of the Federal government.

My opinion of Trump supporters were not that high earlier, and now with kort's arguments here, it is has taken a new low. I think Trump supporters have a low awareness and understanding of many of the basic concepts on job creation, trade, environment, foreign relations, etc.. No wonder Trump won big on rural areas with low education.
and here is an image of my view of intolerant liberals
DAwek8NV0AALUWG.jpg

Reactions: Stirfelt
I'd say it was a small but loud minority a coalition of the left and clueless ones
Trying to marginalize people who care about the effects of man-made climate change by branding them as a left-wing fringe element is as convincing as likewise labeling the millions who participated in the Women's March and the March for Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.