Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone bothered by how trunk closing works? I mean, you have to push it quite hard to close, AND if you fail to push it hard enough, it will open all the way up. Looks like bad mechanical design for me.

For comparison, on my other car (BMW), it is well-calibrated - much easier to close AND will keep trunk in semi-open state without opening it all the way back.

After a year now I still have to give it a good push down, not ideal but not horrible. By comparison we just bought a leaf and it take no force whatsoever to close. I could slowly lower the trunk into the closed position and it would lock. Ofcourse this is comparing two very different trunk lid types... so take it for what it is.

...And if you fail to push it hard enough, it will open all the way up. Looks like bad mechanical design for me.

I actually like that. It happened more than once with my previous car that I went driving after shopping, only to notice my trunk opening during the drive. I have to admit that there were no advanced systems in that car that could alert me that I f*cked up earlier.

I actually like that. It happened more than once with my previous car that I went driving after shopping, only to notice my trunk opening during the drive. I have to admit that there were no advanced systems in that car that could alert me that I f*cked up earlier.

I like that an alert pops up on the screen letting me know when the trunk is not completely latched. Happened yesterday, thought it was latched closed but was still slightly open because a box was preventing it to latch (mine doesn’t seem to pop completely open as OP noted).

Is anyone bothered by how trunk closing works? I mean, you have to push it quite hard to close, AND if you fail to push it hard enough, it will open all the way up. Looks like bad mechanical design for me.

For comparison, on my other car (BMW), it is well-calibrated - much easier to close AND will keep trunk in semi-open state without opening it all the way back.

I've been using these less-powerful lifts to make it easier to close. Has been working great for a year now. https://amzn.to/2qdHacB

Reactions: SergeyUser

Also check out i1Tesla's YouTube video, where he swapped out the front trunk latch spring for a weaker one.
Appeared to make the front trunk closing much easier.

Reactions: SergeyUser