Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lock Behavior Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
22 MX with FSDbeta V2022.40.30.5

We use Unlock Only Drivers Door in Park feature. Up until this update, we could also open the trunk as it also unlocked in this mode. No Fob needed

Now with this update the trunk is locked, when car is parked. No easy way to unlock it without getting in X, and using Touchscreen or phone App. FOBs no longer included with MX.

Anyone else experiencing this? If not are you on same FSDbeta sw or a different version?

Reactions: Prairie
22 MX with FSDbeta V2022.40.30.5

We use Unlock Only Drivers Door in Park feature. Up until this update, we could also open the trunk as it also unlocked in this mode. No Fob needed

Now with this update the trunk is locked, when car is parked. No easy way to unlock it without getting in X, and using Touchscreen or phone App. FOBs no longer included with MX.

Anyone else experiencing this? If not are you on same FSDbeta sw or a different version?
I observed the same change in behavior so I ran some tests. As you pointed out the new variable is the 'Drivers door only' setting. When that setting is toggled 'on' the trunk won't open when approaching the X using the physical switch on the outside of the trunk. With the setting toggled 'off' you can open the trunk with the physical switch.

I liked it better the way it was, but it is what it is. My MX setup has FSD beta 2022.44.30.5 (10.69.25.1), phone key, and as of now I don't have fobs (although I plan to get them).

Reactions: Genie
I observed the same change in behavior so I ran some tests. As you pointed out the new variable is the 'Drivers door only' setting. When that setting is toggled 'on' the trunk won't open when approaching the X using the physical switch on the outside of the trunk. With the setting toggled 'off' you can open the trunk with the physical switch.

I liked it better the way it was, but it is what it is. My MX setup has FSD beta 2022.44.30.5 (10.69.25.1), phone key, and as of now I don't have fobs (although I plan to get them).
Thanks for confirming.

In public release 2022.40 there is a feature for hold and pressing interior driver door unlock button to unlock all doors. We with FSDbeta dont have it, although we have a higher number. Hoping we get that soon. It would solve the problem a bit.

My guess is the intent was always to only unlock the drivers door and the trunk unlocking was a bug (in Tesls's eyes).

Maybe. But if they give us the same unlock all doors with the button non FSDbeta has, that would be fine. Now you have to climb into car to unlock all doors to then put away packages
Perhaps, but what is the point of "driver door only"? It's not a convenience, since how is NOT unlocking a door (or trunk) a convenience? It's basically a security thing .. to ONLY allow the driver access to the car (assuming they are close to the driver side door), and prevent ingress by others. Viewed in this way, it's pretty clear that you really do NOT want to unlock the trunk.

So if you turn on "driver door only" you are doing so because you judge it to be safer in environments where you feel insecure. Given that, the inconvenience of having to get in the car to put away packages is perhaps not so important. And if that is something that is a high priority, perhaps simply not using the "driver door only" feature is the best approach.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Perhaps, but what is the point of "driver door only"? It's not a convenience, since how is NOT unlocking a door (or trunk) a convenience? It's basically a security thing .. to ONLY allow the driver access to the car (assuming they are close to the driver side door), and prevent ingress by others. Viewed in this way, it's pretty clear that you really do NOT want to unlock the trunk.

So if you turn on "driver door only" you are doing so because you judge it to be safer in environments where you feel insecure. Given that, the inconvenience of having to get in the car to put away packages is perhaps not so important. And if that is something that is a high priority, perhaps simply not using the "driver door only" feature is the best approach.
You can open any of the doors from the app. Not super convenient, but it does not require you to climb back in the car.

You can open any of the doors from the app. Not super convenient, but it does not require you to climb back in the car.
Not a solution with packages in hand. The whole purpose of Unlock Driver's Door Only is for safety, especially women. Now to launch App, wait for connection, then fumble with screen, OH AND DOESN"T WORK WITH GLOVES IN WINTER, is an issue.

Tesla took something away that was working well and I cannot recall a complaint and Tesla broke it.

And further, did not implement the Press and Hold drivers door inside button to unlock the doors... Had they implemented this, all would be workable.
And of course, no more keyfobs except for $175 extra. One step forward, 2 steps back.

Not a solution with packages in hand. The whole purpose of Unlock Driver's Door Only is for safety, especially women. Now to launch App, wait for connection, then fumble with screen, OH AND DOESN"T WORK WITH GLOVES IN WINTER, is an issue.

Tesla took something away that was working well and I cannot recall a complaint and Tesla broke it.

And further, did not implement the Press and Hold drivers door inside button to unlock the doors... Had they implemented this, all would be workable. And of course, no more keyfobs except for $175 extra. One step forward, 2 steps back.
Yes, I agree. But in a pinch, it could get you going. I've never run with driver door only option set. I have key fobs for my vehicle, but usually I leave them at home.

I, too, found the update changed how the trunk unlock worked. But tonight I learned that the key fob will unlock the trunk as you approach. At least I don’t have to dig in my purse, find and take out the phone, unlock my phone, go to the Tesla app just to unlock the trunk for groceries. I am used to carrying a fob in my pocket. as someone mentioned, this is if you only want the drivers door to unlock on approach. Then hitting the spot on the fob will open the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Since I started this topic, I had the good fortune to interact with someone at Tesla on the behavior change. Someone that influences new features and functions. Their POV was that the trunk wasn't supposed to unlock. Never called it a bug but stated this is more consistent now.
After interacting on the pro's and con's, fact that key fobs are no longer included, and some examples of how people have used the feature, they will review this.

I don't know what will become of this but some folks at Tesla do listen.

With my M3 it wasn't just the trunk that could be opened - it was all of the passenger doors if they were opened before the driver's door. That is something that my passenger found by accident. So this change fixed what I believe was a flaw in the original design.

I agree with this point in general, but an X with a fob is a different beast to begin with. I have it set to "driver door only" and couldn't tell you whether or not the trunk unlocks with that because I always use the fob to open the trunk. Meanwhile, with this change, I notice something nobody else has mentioned in this thread... When I open a Falcon Wing Door with the fob, it no longer unlocks any other door (including the driver door). Prior to this update, opening a Falcon Wing Door behaved the same as unlock all, which seems reasonable to me since it's not the driver door. Now I have to unlock the driver door and the passenger door one at a time, opening both since I use the automatic doors feature, in order to let a front passenger into the vehicle before me (if they're getting in before me, I'm loading kids, so I'm opening a Falcon Wing Door anyway).
With my M3 it wasn't just the trunk that could be opened - it was all of the passenger doors if they were opened before the driver's door. That is something that my passenger found by accident. So this change fixed what I believe was a flaw in the original design.

Sure, they fixed a flaw in the original design of the Model 3, but the Model X was designed before the Model 3. See my previous example just above in this same post. This isn't the first time that Model 3 design made the X worse, and it probably won't be the last.

Since I started this topic, I had the good fortune to interact with someone at Tesla on the behavior change. Someone that influences new features and functions. Their POV was that the trunk wasn't supposed to unlock. Never called it a bug but stated this is more consistent now.
After interacting on the pro's and con's, fact that key fobs are no longer included, and some examples of how people have used the feature, they will review this.

I don't know what will become of this but some folks at Tesla do listen.
I don’t buy this. If it were true, why is there the rubber-covered button to unlatch the trunk? Since the only way to open the trunk now is with the app or touchscreen, both of which unlatch the trunk - not just unlock it, there is no longer any function for the button on the trunk lid itself. There is no possible way to unlock the trunk. It can only be unlatched. 2018 M3 LR.

My guess is the intent was always to only unlock the drivers door and the trunk unlocking was a bug (in Tesls's eyes).
I cannot open the trunk with the physical switch under any circumstances. I have driver’s door unlock disengaged. the trunk does not unlock when phone approaches, when driver door button pushed, or when card is used. It can be unlatched from touch screen or app, but never just unlocked. The physical button has been rendered useless. This is clearly a bug related to poor implementation of the driver‘s door unlock feature.

I wonder if your passenger doors were unlocked with the old version. It is something that I found by accident and probably not what you would normally try when you are using this setting.
I assure you that none of the passenger buttons would ever open while using the driver door only unlock function in my legacy X. It was tried often prior to this update.
I don’t buy this. If it were true, why is there the rubber-covered button to unlatch the trunk? Since the only way to open the trunk now is with the app or touchscreen, both of which unlatch the trunk - not just unlock it, there is no longer any function for the button on the trunk lid itself. There is no possible way to unlock the trunk. It can only be unlatched. 2018 M3 LR.
It should unlock when the vehicle is fully unlocked, either by disabling driver door only (which I understand you indicate isn't working in your next post). It should also unlock when you unlock all doors (while it sounds like you don't have a fob from which to send a second unlock signal which should unlock all doors in driver door only mode, a double tap of the lock icon on the MCU [if the new gen has this] was always another way to unlock all doors).
I cannot open the trunk with the physical switch under any circumstances. I have driver’s door unlock disengaged. the trunk does not unlock when phone approaches, when driver door button pushed, or when card is used. It can be unlatched from touch screen or app, but never just unlocked. The physical button has been rendered useless. This is clearly a bug related to poor implementation of the driver‘s door unlock feature.
I agree, and I am tempted to feign surprise, because I've been driving my X for over 5 years while dealing with one bug or another more often than not.

The button is so that you can CLOSE the door after you load groceries without resorting to the fob or the phone app orleaving the dtruvk door open until you get into the passenger seat and close it on screen. Very useful. I will say that the button on the falcon wing door is too high in the sky for someone 5’4”. To reach.