Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trying to find a Tesla NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I could guess is that they saw some people using them everyday that might have had problems with the outlets getting worn out and loose since they aren't designed to by plugged/unplugged so often. This causes voltage drops and heat problems. By making them unavailable they encourage people to get better charging solutions that don't require unplugging and plugging in their dryer all the time.

At least that is the only thing I could come up with that makes sense.

Then they can still sell them to people for occasional use like when visiting relatives. (Of course some Service Centers just plain refuse.)
It's no different than plugging into a 14-50. And it's rare than sharing the outlet with a dryer would be a permanent solution for anyone. That's not how they're being used.

it is probably the lawyer in me...

You have just bought an $80,000 to $130,000 Model S. I'm guessing Tesla is trying to force its car owners to have a fully licensed electrician install a new fully dedicated 50 amp circuit with a new breaker and modern 14-50 receptacle within reach of the Tesla provided charging cord. Heck, they even give you an adapter for that. As a result, you are forced into professionally installed new circuitry, with a brand new 50 amp receptacle close to your car and with quicker charge times than 30 amp circuits which the 10-30 or 14-30 receptacles provide.

Maybe Tesla just has our best interest at heart. (;>)

This again and again +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meantime... Anyone able to find a NEMA 6-50 adapter? I would be interested in getting one of those.

picking up the 14-30 and 10-30 OEM UMC adapter this afternoon from my local service center for $45/each.
I didn't ask on the phone if they have the 6-50 in stock but while I'm there I may also pick up the 6-50 to have handy.

Anyone use this adapter? I need one quick for a certain trip. I appreciate the feedback.
Haven't used the Conntek 14-30P to 14-50R adapter, but $85 seems a bit steep to pay for that.

Unfortunately, the evseadapters.com site that was referenced above in post #64 seems to no longer be in existence. They sold the same adapter for $55.

An alternate solution, for $45, would be to buy a spare 14-50 adapter from Tesla and convert it yourself into a 14-30 adapter, by cutting off the neutral (middle) prong. Since Tesla charging doesn't actually use that prong, removing it turns the 14-50 into a universal adapter that will work with 14-30 and 14-50 receptacles (although you will need to manually reduce the charging current on the car's charging screen when using with a 14-30 outlet.)

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Probably the most important statement in this thread, additionally always know the rating of the receptacle whether at home, stranger's drier outlet, or RV park, and dial in 80% of the rated amperage, or there will be more anti-Tesla sentiment from thrown breakers to fires.

I thought the car automatically have adjusted to the appropriate current? That's what the guy at the service center told me when I asked about this.

Is that not true?

When I click on the link, it's $15, am I missing something?
Yes. you're missing something. The topmost result (the $15 item) is for a "30 AMP (TT-30P) male to 50 AMP (14-50R) female" adapter, not a 14-30P to 14-50R adapter which your search seems to indicate that you are looking for.

TT-30 is a completely different type of plug for a type of 120V/30A outlet found at campgrounds and RV parks. It's not a 240V 14-30 plug like the kind typically used for dryers.

I thought the car automatically have adjusted to the appropriate current? That's what the guy at the service center told me when I asked about this.

Is that not true?
That's not true. If it's using an adapter that draws 40 amps normally, it will try to pull it. However, once you manually set it at 24 as you should for sustained draw from a 30 amp outlet, it should remember by GPS. Mine did after the second time I set it at home. However, I still check every time as charging starts since it takes only 30 seconds for charging to top out which is a small price to pay to avoid burning your house down.

That's not true. If it's using an adapter that draws 40 amps normally, it will try to pull it. However, once you manually set it at 24 as you should for sustained draw from a 30 amp outlet, it should remember by GPS. Mine did after the second time I set it at home. However, I still check every time as charging starts since it takes only 30 seconds for charging to top out which is a small price to pay to avoid burning your house down.

So I purchased this one to use at my parents place with their clothes dryer plug

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14-3...F8&qid=1468812626&sr=8-4&keywords=Nema+14-30p

If I use this (maybe with this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=J8NFM05MBG5Z4BHKFG3J ), am I going to burn the place to the ground?

I have to laugh when I read this. People somehow think a large company is some single entity. Like "Tesla will read this, and Tesla will restart selling adapters." Tesla doesn't read these forums. Some Tesla employees surely, do. But, what chance some some Tesla software geek have of influencing some other part of the company to restart production/sales of some adapter? What is the chance that the Tesla geek reading this even knows who to talk to in a large company like Tesla? Who knows if the reader has the time to spend beating on someone else's door.

I always smile at these 'grass roots' things. They don't work. They're directed at the wrong audience. The Tesla people reading these forums don't make decisions about charging adapters.

From the post before:
> Hopefully Tesla corporate will see the need and respond.

Dream on. The part of Tesla selling these things killed all but two adapters. They clearly had some reason. I doubt a thread on some non-Tesla internet forum (even if they knew it existed) would change their mind.

I hate to be "that guy"...but to say that the "Tesla people reading these forums don't make decisions"...

Is the ceo and president of global sales high enough to make decisions?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Tesla President comments on a forum to save Model X owner $1,400 on windshield quote

Me thinks tesla employees read these forums. The highest employees...

Reactions: supratachophobia

That's basically the setup I have. You will probably not burn the place to the ground, but you might:) the older the wiring the bigger the risk. The more time you have, the lower you can set the amps.

I hate to be "that guy"...but to say that the "Tesla people reading these forums don't make decisions"...

Is the ceo and president of global sales high enough to make decisions?

Elon Musk on Twitter

Tesla President comments on a forum to save Model X owner $1,400 on windshield quote

Me thinks tesla employees read these forums. The highest employees...

You aren't being "that guy". This forum is filled daily with people who get plucked by curtilage to address their concerns. Ever wonder why someone posts about a problem and then all of the sudden they go silent and the thread dies? Yeah, they just got sniped by the mothership with some legit help. And I've seen dozens of suggestions make it into the business processes as well the actual vehicles, that were related to comments on this forum. Tesla is a different kind of company. They aren't perfect, but they will strive to do things right by the customer.

Is that not true?

The only way the car has to know the "appropriate current" is seeing which plug you connect to the UMC. (Or by getting the info from the EVSE if you're plugged into fancier equipment.) There's no way for the car to know what sort of circuit you're actually plugged in to, it just has to assume that you're plugged into a circuit which matches the plug you're using. If you use the 14-50 plug, then the car will draw 40A (unless you manually dial it down), even if the circuit only has a 40A breaker, or if you're plugged into an adapter for a 14-30 outlet on a 30A circuit.

The only way the car has to know the "appropriate current" is seeing which plug you connect to the UMC. (Or by getting the info from the EVSE if you're plugged into fancier equipment.) There's no way for the car to know what sort of circuit you're actually plugged in to, it just has to assume that you're plugged into a circuit which matches the plug you're using. If you use the 14-50 plug, then the car will draw 40A (unless you manually dial it down), even if the circuit only has a 40A breaker, or if you're plugged into an adapter for a 14-30 outlet on a 30A circuit.
And as others have said before, the wiring behind the scenes for your location needs to be taken into account. If you do the cut 14-50 pin and then dial it up past 24 amps, you run a very serious risk of settings things on fire. Which is why, if you can, please use the correct adapter wherever possible.