Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two problems: It's monstrously difficult to calculate net worth when some of it is in assets that are not traded daily, and market fluctuations can cause net worth to rise or fall a great deal from one day to the next. I agree that taxing gross income for a business with a narrow profit margin won't work. For businesses, net income makes more sense.
I'd settle for having the standard deduction be equal to the cost of living computed for your place of residence. Currently it is obviously far lower than that.

As for people going bankrupt due to medical expenses, that would not be an issue if we were a civilized country and had universal health care like every other industrial nation in the world.
Yeah.

Regardless, the myriad deductions, exemptions, tax credits, etc., only serve to wildly distort the economy and give free money mostly to the rich.
Yeah. Complication in the tax code generally benefits those who can afford full-time accountants...

Looks like Morgan Stanley jumped on board too.

7:11 EDT - Morgan Stanley lifts Telsa Motors to overweight from underweight saying the company has the ability to significantly outperform as analysts expectations have been dampened by delivery delays. Morgan Stanley says, "We expect the Model S to be a commercially successful product that can trigger even greater volumes of Model X and its derivatives." Firm lifts its price target to $50 from $45, saying the risk-reward for TSLA is better than other auto stocks it covers. TSLA up 7% to $32.51 premarket. ([email protected])

$50 would work very well for my portfolio!

OMG - Bye, bye short sellers! I wonder if Elon's statement has anything to do with the pre-market advance? " . . tsunami of hurt coming for short sellers"

Could also be something to do with Elon tweeting a photo of S number 396 yesterday. After musings of delivery delays, analysts woke up and realized that producing ~500 before the end of Q3 is realistic after all.

Seems to me that if TM can hit (Elon tweets or GB blogs) 200 cars/week prior to October we'll most likely see shorts exiting the building. I'd love to see a squeeze but couldn't imagine shorts staying in until the last minute.

I know you guys don't like to talk charts, but this is a very pretty picture and I think you'll appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 9.41.57 AM.png

Yeah. Complication in the tax code generally benefits those who can afford full-time accountants...
It's not just being able to pay for an accountant. If you buy a ten-million-dollar house, you get a bigger mortgage deduction. The charitable-contributions deduction means that rich people have a disproportionate say in what charities get supported, since the higher your tax bracket, the less it costs you to give a dollar. A rich person buys a luxury car for his business and writes it off on his tax, where a poor person cannot; and even if a small businessman can write off a car, it will be a less expensive one, so he gets a smaller tax break. Across the board, the dollar amounts of tax breaks are greatest for the rich. If you are in a high tax bracket, you benefit from tax-free municipal bonds, but in a low bracket you don't get enough benefit to compensate for the lower interest rates.

Using the tax system to promote policy objectives creates large benefits for the rich, makes it impossible to do an accounting of the cost:benefit of those tax breaks, and complicates the tax system to the point where ordinary people need to pay someone to do their taxes. By every measure, it is counter-productive to use tax breaks for policy objectives. But it allows politicians to get votes by claiming to an ignorant populace that they are reducing their tax bill.

- - - Updated - - -

I know you guys don't like to talk charts, but this is a very pretty picture and I think you'll appreciate it.

View attachment 9751
What's it even mean?

Here's another picture:

Hey, I'm always happy to see it go up. I just don't see where the red and green lines on the first chart come from or what they mean.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-17 at 7.00.43 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-17 at 7.00.43 AM.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 307
Point is just that they have been a ceiling for a long time now, note the times we've tried to rally and bounced off the green. Even when we do get past it we fail to break the red. Now we are through both of them. Technically speaking, this is very good news.

Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 9.41.57 AM.png

Now the fundamentals and technicals are in our favor.

What's it even mean?
Here's another picture:
Hey, I'm always happy to see it go up. I just don't see where the red and green lines on the first chart come from or what they mean.

It looks to me like the red and green lines represent the 200 day and the 50 day moving averages. IMO, there will be more volatility to come. Many days of several percent up and several percent down, until a majority of the shorts exit in Q4, and the stock calms down, on expected sales of $1.5B+/- in 2013, based on the backlog of reservation holders, and 1,600 cars produced monthly, and (oh yeah) profits. Can't forget that.

Point is just that they have been a ceiling for a long time now, note the times we've tried to rally and bounced off the green. Even when we do get past it we fail to break the red. Now we are through both of them. Technically speaking, this is very good news.
A "long time" being about two months. Meh. It was higher at the end of 2011, and for a big chunk of this spring and again in July.

I'm thinking it looks like Brownian Motion.
My feeling as well.

It's headed up. It can't fail to go up as Tesla convinces more and more people to buy their excellent cars. But it's going to do the Brownian dance all the way. People can gamble on the fluctuations, but I'm a buy-and-hold kind of investor. I do sell holdings that seem to have worse long-term prospects than I thought when I bought them, but as long as a fund appears solid or a bond doesn't seem likely to default, I just hold. A lot of buying and selling is like switching lines at the grocery store. It's always going to end up taking longer if I switch than if I pick a line and stay in it.

- - - Updated - - -

(For a more thorough explanation, read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)
Ah, yes. A good hot cup of tea to operate the Infinite Improbability Drive.

"Is something like this going to happen every time we operate the infinite improbability drive?" -- "Very probably."

Status
Not open for further replies.