Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point.. 71% institutional owners. I'll bet that out of the remaining 29%, there are a higher than average % of individual investors who believe in Tesla quite a bit, and wouldn't sell their shares unless something REALLY bad happens. I can't help but think there is a very good possibility TSLA sees upward action coming up to earnings. 37% short float is nothing to sneeze at.
Actually 52% of float is short. (The nmber you quoted i believe is of total shares not available to trade shares). Netflix had only 18% of float short. I suspect we could see over 50 by time earnings come out which of course more relates to short need to cover rather than the fundamentals

A little more info in here on the Elon-Boeing situation
Of course any joint work announced would further escalate the stock, although perhaps not imminent , you just never know. As Elon says they use this in both Tesla and SpaceX and in SpaceX a much harsher use and requirement and weight reducing role. Could really be another addition to reputation hat feathers
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/29/boeing-tesla-idUSL1N0AY11R20130129

I'm thinking Tesla's stock rise might burst when Q4 is announced. Despite Musk tweeting about "cash flow positive," even JP Morgan thinks their cash on hand at the end of Q4 will be half what is was the prior quarter. Are the people running up the price of TSLA aware that everyone knows they will probably report a loss of around 80 Million Dollars for Q4? If not, there could be some surprises.

Reuters reported recently that Elon Musk said he is hoping Tesla will have "a profitable quarter" this year (2013). I don't think anyone expects Tesla to post anything but a loss for Q4 of last year.
Everyone knows there will be loss. I think surprise would possibly include higher production rate and higher reservation number. I would hope he distances himself from Boeing would not want anyone assuming lithium ion batteries all bad. They probably wouldn't credit him with fix it would make Boeing look bad to have to get outside hehelp stock resilient today bounced back from some seriously negative ground. Hopefully sets up good day tomorrow

I would hope he distances himself from Boeing would not want anyone assuming lithium ion batteries all bad. They probably wouldn't credit him with fix it would make Boeing look bad to have to get outside hehelp stock resilient today bounced back from some seriously negative ground.

People will think (and assume) whatever they are motivated to think (and assume), regardless of facts. I see no reason why companies shouldn't help each other, especially if there's an overlap of technology. I see even less reason why that would make a company look 'bad' for asking for, receiving, or accepting help. Would you rather Mr. Musk not extend Tesla and SpaceX help and see one of those planes crash? I've yet to ever get the impression that Mr. Musk does what he does, simply for or primarily, for the recognition, so I doubt he'd lose any sleep over not being officially given credit.

I would hope he distances himself from Boeing would not want anyone assuming lithium ion batteries all bad. They probably wouldn't credit him with fix it would make Boeing look bad to have to get outside hehelp stock resilient today bounced back from some seriously negative ground. Hopefully sets up good day tomorrow

The best way to distance yourself from anyone assuming L-ion are all bad, is to solve the problem with your solution. Think about what that would accomplish as a trust factor

Actually 52% of float is short. (The nmber you quoted i believe is of total shares not available to trade shares). Netflix had only 18% of float short. I suspect we could see over 50 by time earnings come out which of course more relates to short need to cover rather than the fundamentals

Correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt now be the best time to short the stock? They're nearing their 52-week high and they'll likely post lower than predicted numbers for Q4 2012.

Correct me if Im wrong but wouldnt now be the best time to short the stock? They're nearing their 52-week high and they'll likely post lower than predicted numbers for Q4 2012.

I'm pretty confident they'll hit the low end of their predicted numbers and the fact that they are now at full production should really make investors confident. I expect staying even to a 5% to 10% increase on the day. We'll see though. I think it depends on the brokers response to the numbers and what they tell their investors to do.

I'm pretty confident they'll hit the low end of their predicted numbers and the fact that they are now at full production should really make investors confident. I expect staying even to a 5% to 10% increase on the day. We'll see though. I think it depends on the brokers response to the numbers and what they tell their investors to do.

Yep. Q4 was a transitional Quarter. Involved getting production up to 400/week (or more). Now that TM is showing that they deliver quality cars, the lingering questions become:

1) What will be the demand ramp this year? TBD... I think demand and sales will certainly be more than 20k in 2013

2) What's the longer term margin on the model S? 20% etc.

High Demand and good Margin lead to quicker ebitda profits (later this year). Elon's already stated they achieved positive cash flow in Q4

I see where you are coming from, but you've made a rookie mistake in your logic: market price is a reflection of FUTURE earnings. This is an important distinction, if it weren't true TSLA would be worthless because the company doesn't make any money. A consequence of this fact is that the guidance given in the quarterly report is much more important than the report of the quarter passed. A slight miss on predicted Q4 numbers (which is unlikely at this point anyway) is not nearly as interesting to the market as the guidance that will be given for 2013. Many commenters have pointed out that news about increasing production beyond 20k units (which is looking very likely) would be far more interesting than news about how Q4 went, and they are right.

Many a trader has been burned because they traded the quarterly report based on a thesis that they will beat/miss the quarter. Just look at Apple's last quarter. They beat the street, but got obliterated because the guidance was awful.

All that said, it appears to me that the market is already pricing in a successful Q4 and an increase in production for 2013. I wouldn't expect us to get above $40 in the aftermath of the conference call unless there is something else put forward that the market has not foreseen.

I see where you are coming from, but you've made a rookie mistake in your logic: market price is a reflection of FUTURE earnings. This is an important distinction, if it weren't true TSLA would be worthless because the company doesn't make any money. A consequence of this fact is that the guidance given in the quarterly report is much more important than the report of the quarter passed. A slight miss on predicted Q4 numbers (which is unlikely at this point anyway) is not nearly as interesting to the market as the guidance that will be given for 2013. Many commenters have pointed out that news about increasing production beyond 20k units (which is looking very likely) would be far more interesting than news about how Q4 went, and they are right.

Many a trader has been burned because they traded the quarterly report based on a thesis that they will beat/miss the quarter. Just look at Apple's last quarter. They beat the street, but got obliterated because the guidance was awful.

All that said, it appears to me that the market is already pricing in a successful Q4 and an increase in production for 2013. I wouldn't expect us to get above $40 in the aftermath of the conference call unless there is something else put forward that the market has not foreseen.

True story. I'm thinking the real thing that would make shares appreciate now is the shorts covering on a slow steady daily basis.

Tl0.de

Hi everyone,
i have been following the company for years and beliving is such a great company i have decided buy some stock (i am an european investor).
To avoid double taxation i bought the tesla stock listed on the XETRA market with the TL0 ticker.
a few days ago however my broker informed me that the stock has been delisted from that market.
fro my research it seems instead like no major thing has happened to the stock itself. :cursing:
can someone, maybe some other investor in the xetra market, please give me some color on that?
thank you.

So when it broke $38 I caved and sold all of my shares, regretted it immensely, and bought them all back today. I was able to pick up a few extra shares, but I think I'm going to just stick to my plan of riding the company till it picks up significantly more. :tongue:.

Just to close out any influence is issue might have with the stock price Elon just put out his thoughts and analysis regarding the safety of Tesla batteries compared to Boeing
Elon Musk: Boeing 787 battery fundamentally unsafe

And he gets very credible back-up from an EE professor at MIT

"Musk's assessments of battery cells were confirmed by Donald Sadoway, a professor of electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

"I would have used the same words," says Sadoway. "I'm glad someone with such a big reputation put it on the line."

"He's engineered [Tesla's battery] to prevent the domino effect, while Boeing evidently doesn't have that engineering," adds Sadoway."

Status
Not open for further replies.