Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for them to report a profit? Has anyone put together achievable numbers that show a scenario where this happens? I have an odd feeling that Elon has a surprise ready for the shorts.
Seems all but impossible. They only had full shipment for 4-6 weeks and that using massive overtime (I'd guess some workers are hourly) plus opening new stores, super chargers, etc. Any surprises would likely be about the future rather than the past, such as higher long term production rates or some such.

I did hear one interesting thing a few weeks back, though no idea how true it is or if it's really have any investment relevance, that Tesla was going to create an aluminum foundry to produce all that aluminum themselves. And SpaceX uses quite a bit as well apparently. I remember some interview where Elon was joking about being jacked around on aluminum prices and wondered what it'd take to make aluminum...

Can they realize revenue for cars that have been sold, but not produced? Wasn't there an announcement that they were trying to get as many reservations finalized as they could? I read an article a while ago that got the impression they are trying to realize revenue for cars that will not be produced for another 4-5 months.

Assuming 400 cars per week, this would allow them to realize revenue for 10-13k cars. (Positive territory assuming 8K cars = Positive ?). They won't receive the EV credits until they are produced, but in theory, they could use an accounting trick to let them achieve revenue that wasn't expected to be seen until the middle/ end of 2013.

Last edited:
Can they realize revenue for cars that have been sold, but not produced? Wasn't there an announcement that they were trying to get as many reservations finalized as they could? I read an article a while ago that got the impression they are trying to realize revenue for cars that will not be produced for another 4-5 months.

Assuming 400 cars per week, this would allow them to realize revenue for 10-13k cars. (Positive territory assuming 8K cars = Positive ?). They won't receive the EV credits until they are produced, but in theory, they could use an accounting trick to let them achieve revenue that wasn't expected to be seen until the middle/ end of 2013.

Firstly, I don't think this is possible in any accounting system in the US.
But, even if we assume that this was somehow possible, why would they do this? If they showed all the un-shipped sales this quarter, yea it would be great, the company might be able to turn a profit, and the shorts would flee shooting the stock price up. But it really wouldn't be a sound business strategy. Next quarter, or the one after that, when reservations slow down because all the early adopters have already purchased the cars, and the company would end up showing a loss because the cars they manufacured for that quarter were already shown as sold products on the balance sheets for the previous quarter... That doesn't make sense at all. Def. not a good strategy if they want to show long term strength (which they need to get the financial backing from investors to develop the 3rd gen model).

When is report date? Yahoo and google list as feb 11 but no company announcement of date that I can find including company web site. I am sure there are rules on length of time to give out notice, does anyone know what this is. Could they still report on Monday? Wonder why no announcement. I always have anxiety around meeting announcements. Had outs in Zales which expired days after the date of report and they cancelled report 1 hr before presentation.

Time to buy some puts for protection before the 2/11 announcement. And then hope it goes sky high to make me look foolish.

If you are a long, $40 is just a beginning. There would be $50, $70, $100. Probably even $200. Very likely, IMO (setting aside earthquakes, tornados, tsunamis and so on).

But I would agree, you would need protection if you need money by predefined date, like to fund your Model S purchase. Or if you know that in few months you have to sell TSLA no matter what. Buying puts is insurance, but it have got a limited expiry date. Not relevant for longs.

Status
Not open for further replies.