Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a particular stock gaps up significantly in price, what is the incentive for the borrower not defaulting on their loan and thus losing the collateral but not having to pay the much higher gap-up price?

I.e., hypothetically, if TSLA price spikes up to $1,000+, we are talking about 40+ billion dollars of short losses here. Can the borrowers (shorts and their brokers) simply 'default' on the last collateral they posted and thus reduce their losses to the current approximately ~4 billion? That's a 36 billion dollars question, so I'm wondering what the small print is there.

That is why there are margin requirements, so the broker always has more of your money than you owe.

Reactions: ZachShahan
So, uhm, I hold a bunch of $475 Jan19 calls. How screwed am I?

(And do we even have all the necessary info to evaluate how screwed I am?)
I owned some June 2019 $420 calls. Earlier in the day, after the Saudi news, they briefly traded for about $42. I exited after the taking private news at $32. They last traded at $27.25. The actual stock price is higher now than it was earlier when I sold.

So that is a nice illustration of the rate at which the time value of long-date contracts is deflating. The more the market believes this deal is happening, the faster the time value will drop. OTM options are pure time value, so they are a hot potato.

So it seems to be dropping a bit after hours. Am I missing something obvious about a free $45 per share (420-375), or is there any significant risk of this being voted down?
It seems like there are no shares available to short at IB. Is it possible the shorts are so incredibly delusional they think this is all fake and they are making it worse for themselves? This is really interesting. I just hate there are so many unanswered questions with regards to keeping my shares in the private company.

They were just talking about this on CNBC. Apparently mutual funds cannot be in private funds.

Ok that means the shorts’ losses are capped since they’ll be able to buy enough from them. It’s actually super bulls with high strike calls that will eat the biggest losses. How about convertible bonds > $420?

Elon:

Investor support is confirmed. Only reason why this is not certain is that it’s contingent on a shareholder vote.

I am quite sure the only reason the vote would fail is if the stock price quickly goes WAY higher than $420.

Obviously if the going price is way above $420, nobody would want to take the tender offer, but also many investors would rather keep public shares at high liquidity than private shares with low liquidity. A number of funds may not be *allowed* to hang on to private equity, and they could vote no if they think Tesla has a great future. Index funds will happily get cashed out, but couldn't hold private equity, and would be very unhappy to get cashed out at $420 if the going price was way above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.