Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But it would be factually correct to say Trump supporters are more likely anti-Tesla (anti-environment, anti-green energy etc) than his detractors. You can see the exit polls and Trump's statements to back that up.

It might be accurate, no one’s done a poll to find out about pro/anti Tesla. Regardless, so what? Foghat’s post alleged a conspiracy among MAGA supporters. That’s several steps beyond your unproven assertion. I’m going to drop this right here as it IS political and has nothing to do with Tesla stock price unless you want to entertain Foghat’s conspiracy.

Regardless, so what?
I'd like to be in a situation where Tesla & EVs (and environment & global warming) were not partisan issues. Infact in most countries they are not - but in US (and some others) they most definitely are.

Pretending that not to be the case or ignoring it willfully gets us nowhere.

If partisans leave EVs alone, I'll leave partisans alone.

But it would be factually correct to say Trump supporters are more likely anti-Tesla (anti-environment, anti-green energy etc) than his detractors. You can see the exit polls and Trump's statements to back that up.

This is such a stupid post I don’t know where to start.

It’s not politics ya dummy it’s about $$$$$!

I’m sure somewhere in our 27,000+ posts, someone has posted a link to this blog, but it hasn’t been posted recently, so I’m posting it here (again).

Jack Rickard is an old fart that is currently working on projects to reuse old or salvaged Tesla batteries for home use (Think solar time shifting and backup). In the past he’s done a bunch of EV conversions, and back in my day, published THE magazine about the online revolution before the Internet, titled Boardwatch (yes, Virginia, there was an online community before the Internet).

Anyways, he has posted several blogs recently about Tesla privatization, including the latest making a good case for Apple and Tesla to merge (in short, Apple needs a CEO and something to spend money on, and Tesla has both). His posts about the privatization, written the day of and after, were very accurate in their prognostications. And his technical posts are very interesting to those of an engineering bent.

EVTV Motor Verks - Custom Electric Car Conversion Instructional Videos

I’m sure somewhere in our 27,000+ posts, someone has posted a link to this blog, but it hasn’t been posted recently, so I’m posting it here (again).

Jack Rickard is an old fart that is currently working on projects to reuse old or salvaged Tesla batteries for home use (Think solar time shifting and backup). In the past he’s done a bunch of EV conversions, and back in my day, published THE magazine about the online revolution before the Internet, titled Boardwatch (yes, Virginia, there was an online community before the Internet).

Anyways, he has posted several blogs recently about Tesla privatization, including the latest making a good case for Apple and Tesla to merge (in short, Apple needs a CEO and something to spend money on, and Tesla has both). His posts about the privatization, written the day of and after, were very accurate in their prognostications. And his technical posts are very interesting to those of an engineering bent.

Jack is best watched when you have time ...and a good beer.

OK, so every time the stock is over 360.32 (don't ask me how I calculated that), anyone who holds a convertible bond unhedged has a arbitrage trade by shorting the stock against the bond (the only legal way remaining to short against the box). When the price drops back below that, covering the short and waiting for the next chance makes sense.
Mild disagree. That's not how it works in real life..The owners of converts delta hedge, by selling a bit, and there is nothing that goes on/off at this particular price. Their hedging ratios go up continuously, and will continue to go up, the higher it goes from 360. They will then become buyers below 360.

This scalping helps them offset the low yield the converts offer.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Foghat
The Reuters article that shorts and bots are having a feeding frenzy over right now

Musk says Silver Lake, Goldman advising on taking Tesla private
A key point buried in the article:
"Securities lawyers said U.S. law requires executives and companies to have a “reasonable basis” on which to make statements, meaning the fact Musk said he believed he had secured a verbal agreement for the funding after the July 31 meeting could put him on a firmer footing with the SEC."

Here's what I do not understand:

If Fidelity has been dumping 2.5 to 3 million shares per quarter why would the Saudis want to buy shares at $420 when they could be buying all along up to right now at <$360? What is their incentive to pay an 18-20% premium in an EBO? It seems the only reason to pay more is if they are getting more. So what has Musk promised them? Am I missing something?
Yes, you're missing something. Fidelity funds generally have percentages of holdings in various stocks and/or categories. As one stock goes up in price, they have to rebalance holdings, by selling the excess in the high flyers, and purchasing more of the underperformers. This actually makes some amount of sense, if what you're looking for is stability. But you do tend to miss the golden opportunities.

My boss at Qualcomm once said to me "They always talk about diversification, but if I'd just left everything in Qualcomm I'd have been much better off."

Thank you for linking to his blog. He is a MUCH better writer than he is a speaker. He has a high-quality mind.

I think we'll see 'funding secured' fatigue from the media starting tomorrow. It obviously can't affect the deal in any way and it will quickly lose its excitement. Attention will turn to things that matter, like the fact Musk obviously wouldn't lie publicly about the Saudis' position, especially while they're still in negotiations. He can't come out and say it but from what he said this morning it's obviously they told him they're 100% in.

Yikes...

I can't help but feel the latest announcement is just going to send the FUDsters off to the races, and this time I think I agree with them. Their position all along has been that Elon made the tweet about "funding secured" without having solid, signed and sealed commitments to cover the cost of the privatization. From the statement it looks like he did not. Whether he had to have that or not, I guess the SEC will rule on that but I have to admit, I don't feel any better after reading it. This could get ugly.

Just my $.02 of course.

Dan
Well, I have to admit, I have never been so happy and encouraged that a post of mine has been disagreed with so strongly! I truly hope all you guys are right and I am woefully wrong. Go TESLA!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.