Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that Tesla is demand constrained, they can pick up those brand loyal to Jaguar and those who don’t want to wait 5 months for a Tesla. If I wasn’t so brand loyal to Tesla, I would probably get a second Leaf now that my Model 3 delivery is delayed until probably a year from now. Most people aren’t going to wait as long. Once Model 3 production is ramped, they need to unveil the Model Y as soon as possible.
I really meant to say production constrained. The shorts must have temporarily taken over my fingers with their CNBC transmissions.

There were worse days to go all in... 2 of my last 3 purchases are back underwater (remember when it was above 360? :oops:)...
But now I get to look forward to holdings going up again :)

I'm resisting the impluse to borrow some money from myself to buy-in now. With the Macro looking poor, the FUD ramping up, the M3 not, maybe, ramping up, I'm looking for a perfect store end of Q1.

Well well well...I knew I should not have went all in yesterday....damn impulse.....

I traded 348 for 335 so I am fine with that. I am going to sit tight and expect a monster reversal once people realize that trade wars are something that never happens anymore. Trump is right about winning them. Slapping tariffs on US goods would only penalize their own citizens at the same time they have an overall trade imbalance with the US that is like 10:1 - 100:1. Are you going to poke the bear in the eye, or are you going to walk past the sleeping bear very very quietly. China can just devalue its currency to maintain pricing. Its not like they havnt done it before.

One thing this will do however is weaken the dollar. Which will make a company like Tesla that exports half its cars more competitive. A weak dollar is not good in general but its good for net exporters or a company that can decide to export everything they make. Again, this assumes that places like Korea, the Middle East, HK, China, Europe and Canada dont want to poke the sleeping bear. Maybe Tesla will hit that Q3 200,000 US delivery date instead of Q2. Are they flexible enough to do that? Do they have enough demand in those countries listed above? I think so. We will see.

Your points are all speculation. Tesla would be foolish to release MY reservations without first significantly reducing the backlog of M3 orders, IMO MY will not take reservations until 2019 and production will not begin until 2000. Focus, as the vehicles are released are Semi before MY which is another reason why MY is likely to take longer to market than expected.

To add to this point, Tesla doesn't want to start taking MY reservations when the majority of Model 3 reservations are still unresolved, because of the fear many Model 3 reservation holders would switch to an MY reservation instead if they prefer that vehicle over the Model 3.

This would possibly create an over-supply of Model 3 vehicles (unimaginable at the moment), ruining Tesla's ability to fund the expensive Model 3 ramp up.

• Disagree
Reactions: MitchJi and Thumper
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
If it takes on average 4-6 weeks between VIN registration and delivery. I think that's about it for this quarter : we'll probably get between 11323(previous VIN registration) and 12436 (last VIN registration) M3 delivered this quarter.

Except toward the end of the quarter, Tesla will be bulking the deliveries right near the factory...so some of those deliveries could be within a day or two of popping out of the factory.

If it takes on average 4-6 weeks between VIN registration and delivery. I think that's about it for this quarter : we'll probably get between 11323(previous VIN registration) and 12436 (last VIN registration) M3 delivered this quarter.
I was suspecting that Tesla would register another batch of VIN after they sent out more invitations 2 days ago, guessed right on that, but guessed wrong on market reaction. I thought this might help TSLA stay above $330.

If Tesla doesn't skip too many VINs, this would mean that Tesla will produce ~9-10K M3 in Q1, subtracting ~2400 2017 production from the 11323-12436 range. I think it might turn out to be a repeat of the Q4'17 story, the # won't look great but people will be hoping that the last week of the quarter will signal new hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.