Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Hyunda(Kona)/Merc/BMW/Jaguar are already doing that with reasonable products and quantities, then we could just do the tesla pickup truck first. Then again how are they going to get up to speed on battery production...
I think there's more mass market appeal (more demand and buyers) for those mini SUVs over pick up trucks. It seems every mother and grandma wants those. I used to sell new cars and mini SUVs like Rogue, RAV4 completely blew out all other vehicles ... actually trucks were some of our worst performers and I sold a top major brand. Model Y first, then trucks.

• Informative
Reactions: jw934
Notably, at the end of that BuzzFeed piece:

"BuzzFeed News corresponded with the Tesla and SpaceX CEO at a separate, personal email address that two sources confirmed belonged to Musk. One source, who had previously worked for Musk, noted that the email address can be accessed by the billionaire and his assistants. The source noted that it was not uncommon for Musk to personally respond to reporters and other people through that account."

That... does not instill confidence in the reporting.
As Musk is always on Twitter, he would have already tweeted that those mails are fake. After all this crap coming out of Elons mouth without thinking I am not even surprised I am only shocked that he just cannot stop. Either it means he and Tesla is in big big trouble (kinda desperation) or he does really have an Ego problem and takes too much Ambien. Or maybe both?

Mixed feelings here. Eventually the thread just splits into a bunch of people yelling into the wind.

Well, I *try* to stay on topic. Which can't be said for those I've put on ignore. They can go yelling into the wind all they want, I don't care :) However, if some other brave soul wishes to engage with them -- more power to them. I think it *is* good to not completely ignore them. I know it helped me on first reading the forum to have some discussion with the trolls. But a little bit goes a long way.

As for me: by staying on topic there is a conversation between adults -- I don't think I'm at risk for yelling into the wind (for one, I try to bring perspective, not argument). I view this particular discussion as being on topic inasmuch as it is topical for any forum thread -- it is a meta conversation. But my nerves don't need the trolls and so I take the easy road of ignore. More power to those that challenge them.

Until there's confirmation from Tesla, I do not put any faith in what buzzfeed wrote, nor should anyone else for that matter.

E-Mail can be spoofed. All those being outraged by what they believe was sent from Elon should remember that...
Don't think it matters if he calls the guy an @$&$-#. Musk's point was totally valid...the guy should investigate if the other guy was doing what Musk claimed. BuzzFeed or whoever is just trying to drag this thing out for FUD.

Mixed feelings here. Eventually the thread just splits into a bunch of people yelling into the wind.

True.

For myself, I've found that if I notice any particular person's posts are mostly a waste of my energy to read, out comes the Ignore button, and my energy expended drops. And for me that increases my signal. I know I'm losing out on some, but if something is 97% noise, then it's too much work (for me) to weed through it for the 3% signal (numbers totally made up to illustrate a point).

I'm interested in contributing a point of view, or data, when I have something to contribute. And to the degree that others are looking for different perspectives / data / conclusions, and are looking to change their world view, those are people I'm interested in conversing with. As that's what I'm looking for - different perspectives / data / conclusions that will in turn inform my world view.

And I try very hard to avoid contributing to the bunch of people yelling into the wind :)

Until there's confirmation from Tesla, I do not put any faith in what buzzfeed wrote, nor should anyone else for that matter.

E-Mail can be spoofed. All those being outraged by what they believe was sent from Elon should remember that...

Of course. But when BF contacted Tesla and Tesla declined to deny the email's veracity...

I'm not here to defend Mike, but if you haven't read today's BuzzFeed piece, you should. It's troubling. Musk's email sounds unhinged, and many of his points are directly refuted by others who were there.

Look, I don't know if the dude is a pedophile or not, but 'he is a Brit who lives in an area known for trafficking, and we all know what that means, wink wink nod nod' is not solid ground on which to repeatedly attack someone. And it's not fitting for a business leader like Musk to keep doubling down on it.

Either take evidence to the authorities or shut the $#!& up already.

It sounds like he's thoroughly convinced the guy is up to shady behavior and we know what Elon does when he's convinced. This is where his grit bites everyone supporting Tesla in the ass. He won't back down until he's proven definitively right or wrong. And of course the trolls and "journalists" won't let it go because it gets them attention/clicks. Someone has to show him the damage the whole charade is doing to the brand.

If someone calls someone a pedo, I do indeed expect detailed information from the person making the accuse which is Elon

Is there a way to look at your profile and see how many people have ignored you? This might be a good feature to have. Too many ignores might just mean you are in wrong place, wrong time, barking up the wrong tree ...

I think there's more mass market appeal (more demand and buyers) for those mini SUVs over pick up trucks. It seems every mother and grandma wants those. I used to sell new cars and mini SUVs like Rogue, RAV4 completely blew out all other vehicles ... actually trucks were some of our worst performers and I sold a top major brand. Model Y first, then trucks.

Tesla Semi comes first anyways, that is a key strategic item that will bring a lot of powerpack and solar business along with it. Tesla Semi = Trojan Horse uitility vehicle. "Here are the demonstrated svaings of your megachargers with peak shaving advantage via solar and powerpacks. Imagine having that same cost advantage for all of your your industrial power needs"

I think a tesla version of the F150 would sell in the millions too, as would the Model Y. May overall be a less crowded segment.

I'm not here to defend Mike, but if you haven't read today's BuzzFeed piece, you should. It's troubling. Musk's email sounds unhinged, and many of his points are directly refuted by others who were there.

Look, I don't know if the dude is a pedophile or not, but 'he is a Brit who lives in an area known for trafficking, and we all know what that means, wink wink nod nod' is not solid ground on which to repeatedly attack someone. And it's not fitting for a business leader like Musk to keep doubling down on it.

Either take evidence to the authorities or shut the $#!& up already.

In fairness to Musk, he was approached by Buzzed, responded as "off the record" and they gloatingly printed everything. (That's assuming they didn't just manufacture the whole thing. Which, though possible, I think is unlikely.)

Look, I think he should just ignore anything from the trolls, including Unswerth whoever that was. But he *does* respond (like the last bit on twitter). And, the truth is, right or wrong, pedo/not pedo, there really isn't much legal recourse for Unswerth. I'm left pondering what jurisdiction a suit would be filed in -- and in the US thanks to 1st amendment there really isn't much to be said or done.

Will the shortville times make a big deal out of it? Of course they will: market watch put the June NTSB preliminary report as "breaking news" today. If they don't have new material they just recycle the old. Nothing to see, really.

[edited to append this: when I read "Unswerth whoever that was" it doesn't come across to me as I intended. I know full well who Unswerth is -- I was intending to illustrate how unimportant he really is. If buzzfeed didn't have that they'd just do another "Musk is unhinged" article. In the grand scheme of things, Unswerth just doesn't matter.]

Last edited:
Tesla Semi comes first anyways, that is a key strategic item that will bring a lot of powerpack and solar business along with it. Tesla Semi = Trojan Horse uitility vehicle. "Here are the demonstrated svaings of your megachargers with peak shaving advantage via solar and powerpacks. Imagine having that same cost advantage for all of your your industrial power needs"

I think a tesla version of the F150 would sell in the millions too, as would the Model Y. May overall be a less crowded segment.

Also, What better way to win hearts and minds of totally different market segment. Will help erase the narrative that EVs are just for the rich.

Reactions: Skryll
As Musk is always on Twitter, he would have already tweeted that those mails are fake. After all this crap coming out of Elons mouth without thinking I am not even surprised I am only shocked that he just cannot stop. Either it means he and Tesla is in big big trouble (kinda desperation) or he does really have an Ego problem and takes too much Ambien. Or maybe both?

You may want to google Pattaya Beach, Thailand and see for yourself what’s there. The area has one of the highest rate of prositution. Personally I’ve never been there but a quick Google will show you the caliber of sex for sale in Thailand. Elon doesn’t back down when he’s right, although he should really tone it down.

As stated in the Buzzfeed article, the British diver only travels to this area in Thailand...

If I was half as smart as Elon, I would have an ego twice as big. The greatest of the greats don’t come without their egos.

Reactions: Dennisj00

I think this would be a fair point to make if the buzzfeed article was in isolation- however, you have Elon's own tweets to back up the viewpoint being pushed by buzzfeed.
I have family members that do not follow Tesla closely but see the news articles about his attack without evidence and this makes them think negatively about Elon- and I believe this causes negative blowback on Tesla.

At the risk of going off topic... I would like to clarify that what Tesla markets as FSD is not, as I understand it, fully self-driving. My point being that I'm not saying Tesla will not deliver their FSD. But that topic is definitely nuanced.

As far as pertains to the market, what matters IMO is public response to Tesla's FSD. For anyone interested in the details, there is at least one thread devoted to this, but in short Tesla is ahead of its competitors despite Waymo being the darling of the press. This disconnect indicates a future valuation improvement for $TSLA if/when the public sees this and becomes convinced of it, though if Waymo does close this gap the relative improvement will diminish over time.

So for our purposes, it doesn't really matter what I think about autonomous driving in general. Just that there is this disconnect between perception and reality as to the relative progress being made. (And, really, I look at it holistically -- I'm not investing in FSD per se, I'm investing in $TSLA.)

Also the darling of the analysts, at least one as far as I know. Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas just released a note on this today, explaining why they value Tesla Mobility at 1/10th of Waymo. Not an opinion on who is ahead with the FSD technology, but rather who’s best positioned to monotize the technology by offering ride share, robo-taxi fleet management and other value add services. GM cruise is also in the mix. The valuation model is based on projections that go out to 2030.

Here is how they stack up against each other, according to MS:

E48E6B78-0CCB-4DAA-AE7A-67F385C8A0AE.jpeg

You may want to google Pattaya Beach, Thailand and see for yourself what’s there. The area has one of the highest rate of prositution. Personally I’ve never been there but a quick Google will show you the caliber of sex for sale in Thailand. Elon doesn’t back down when he’s right, although he should really tone it down.

As stated in the Buzzfeed article, the British diver only travels to this area in Thailand...

If I was half as smart as Elon, I would have an ego twice as big. The greatest of the greats don’t come without their egos.
Did you really just say that? And you are living in the States where there are the most killer attacks on high schools so you are probably also a killer?

People please, act smarter. Who can Elon in any sense have any clue that this guy is a pedo? It just came out of his mouth and if it's true or not doesn't even matter - Elon is destroying Tesla brand value. However I do believe that Elon is in huge stress and does therefore write these unintelligent statements. This does not mean that Tesla is doing bad - it just means that Elon needs some.vacation and the last weeks were too much for him. He can't handle it anymore and therefore acts with agression.

Status
Not open for further replies.