Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hasn't anyone explained how it is possible for 80K production number (rumor)... EM wrote to employees about doubling last quarters production, and still no one is commenting in regards to how this is possible, and what it means going forward.

Has there been an increase in general assembly lines... new production facility, maybe in a tunnel?

dr-evil.jpg

Elon said they would double “produced and delivered “, not exact words. Too lazy to look up.

My take is that would be counting vehicles that are both produced and delivered in the quarter. If so, one would need to back out cars in transit from the deliveries for each quarter.

How you know that there are no news about Q3 production?
You look on the chart and we are still on earth. ;)

I'm certainly expecting a bump, but I'm tempering my expectations because you need to remember a lot of people are still of the mindset "lose money on every car produced". Conference call in Nov. might have more impact especially if profitable.

Both this - and EM's story about Saudi Arabia wanting to invest in Tesla to take it private can't be correct - right ? ;)

I think there are always plenty who believe that EVs are still too expensive and impractical. Infact this is the conventional wisdom. We may think EVs will be mainstream in 5 to 10 years, but most people think that time is decades away. For them EVs are
- Not practical
- Won't make money

Compare these to what they said about Amazon a decade back
- Internet companies will never make money
- .com is just a fad

There is absolutely no need to invoke conspiracy theories.
But remember, Saudi does not have a complete monopoly on oil. Maybe others just got angrier? ;)

Three things;

- Will the production/delivery numbers come out after hours today or tomorrow?
- The article on the GM EV1 on Wikipedia is very interesting.
- A big THANK YOU to all of the Tesla owners who shared their experiences and provided knowledgeable instructions to the new buyers and potential buyers this weekend... that was YUGE!!!

Yes. Oil above $85 - highest in 4 years. May be that drove the market down ?

Just in case anyone still has any illusions left about the efficient markets hypothesis: oil reaches new highs ... TSLA drops 2 dollars ...

The price coupling between the two is exactly the other way around: to Tesla high oil prices are not a cost, but a competitive advantage! :D

Just in case anyone still has any illusions left about the efficient markets hypothesis: oil reaches new highs ... TSLA drops 2 dollars ...

The price coupling between the two is exactly the other way around! :D
No, look at it through bear logic:

If oil goes down, it will beat EVs, ergo Tesla goes down.
If oil goes up, its because demand is high for real cars, ergo Tesla goes down.

That day will be here very soon, and this is a powerful selling point against buying anything other than a Tesla.
How soon is "soon" ? 2020, 2025, 2030 ?

EVs have less than 1% worldwide market share now. It has to first reach 10% before it threatens ICE market.

ICE manufacturers have dabbled in EVs - and they are assuming when the time comes (battery is cheap) they will make the switch. Infact I think most will. Some will perish, some will be propped up be their governments. Toyota & Honda, for eg., won't be let to die. Nor will the German automakers die.

The biggest threat to ICE continues to be self-driving cars. It is really a race now as to whether self-driving will come first or 10% EV market share will come first.

Status
Not open for further replies.