Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that the meeting for the vote on Elon's compensation package is scheduled to start in less than 10 minutes... so we may well have word on the vote in as little as 15-20 minutes (I believe the entire agenda is the vote, and Elon wont be there to give a talk, etc.).

They very likely knew it too.

It's not so much that what we so often see in the media and from analysts is "stupid" thinking, rather that people with massive megaphones are being paid to try to convince the public of "stupid" things.

(this can often happen with Tesla, or pretty much anywhere massive amounts of money are at play)
I think CNBC people are not smart(er) than your average Joe in terms of a financial acumen, or that they have any specific agenda to convince the public of anything regarding Tesla. I think they're probably pretty smart in terms of knowing what their audience want to hear, and that they're publishing a bunch of bearish stories to cater to the overall bearish market sentiment.

By the movement of the SP

I was going to write that too, but, it's not unprecedented for the shorts to sharply push the price down artificially before news comes out to make it look like it's out and unfavorable for Tesla (and induce reactionary selling among other market participants). Has happened more than once with the quarterly earnings/shareholder newsletter release.

Reactions: EinSV and KLC13
I think CNBC people are not smart(er) than your average Joe in terms of a financial acumen,

Most on air people, would agree (better than average "looks" is a higher priority than "brains").

I think they're probably pretty smart in terms of knowing what their audience want to hear, and that they're publishing a bunch of bearish stories to cater to the overall bearish market sentiment.

They've worked very hard to create the perception (along with other false perceptions unflattering to Tesla) that that is the overall market sentiment. Valuing a company that is made 100,000 cars last year at $50-60 billion is not bearish.

Most on air people, would agree (better than average "looks" is a higher priority than "brains").

They've worked very hard to create the perception (along with other false perceptions unflattering to Tesla) that that is the overall market sentiment. Valuing a company that is made 100,000 cars last year at $50-60 billion is not bearish.
I didn't mean to say whether Tesla's overall valuation is bullish or bearish. What I meant is more that the sentiment recently has been more bearish compared with 6 months ago due to Tesla underachieving on M3 ramp. I don't think CNBC or SA or anyone else in the media caused that, Tesla brought that onto themselves by missing the targets. With many people concerned over M3 ramp, bulls and bears alike, CNBC knows that its audience will be more receptive to sensational negative headlines about Tesla at this time, so they deliver.

Reactions: kbM3
I didn't mean to say whether Tesla's overall valuation is bullish or bearish. What I meant is more that the sentiment recently has been more bearish compared with 6 months ago due to Tesla underachieving on M3 ramp. I don't think CNBC or SA or anyone else in the media caused that, Tesla brought that onto themselves by missing the targets. With many people concerned over M3 ramp, bulls and bears alike, CNBC knows that its audience will be more receptive to sensational negative headlines about Tesla at this time, so they deliver.

Agree that the challenges with the ramp have hit sentiment, and that makes sense.

That said, years of propaganda campaign style repetition of various false narratives, (including the one that Tesla's price cannot be justified by looking at numbers, but, only by being a Musk believer) have tilled the soil so to speak, for creating the false perception that it is common sense that Tesla is overvalued, hype, etc. Many articles mention these and other falsehoods as if they are common knowledge. Many in the media have worked very hard to make that possible.

I'm taking this opportunity to lighten up even more going into the delivery numbers:

1) CNBC said 2 days ago that the average analyst expected 13,800 model 3 deliveries. I'm guessing the analysts actually know better, but when they come in around 7000 the negative analysts and shorts are probably going to give us a huge buying opportunity.
2) S/X/3 deliveries probably won't be much higher than Q4, which will appear really bad.
2) The day the Musk compensation plan was announced tsla opened way higher but then closed down significantly.

Edit: I can't remember the last earnings or deliveries numbers where we didn't get at least a temporary large drop. Shorts try to make every news event look bad with a big attack the next day unless it's really, really obviously good news. I don't see that happening here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Status
Not open for further replies.