Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, God; he's tweeting again...

Elon Musk on Twitter

facepalm-head.jpg

Note the original claim by @neroden:

"The fact that the firm is financially self sustaining"​

To which @beachbum77 replied:

""The fact the the firm is financially self sustaining" Can you please link your reference(s) to this statement? None of us are seeing this "fact" yet. Neither does the broader market either."​

Make this argument pretty much anywhere outside this forum and you instantly discredit yourself as an out of touch Tesla fanboy, and expose yourself to the immediate, obvious counterattack:

"Please cite me a single quarterly statement from 2017 or 2018 where Tesla wasn't burning cash and making massive losses. There were 6 such statements filed with the SEC, which one should I be looking at?"​

To which there's no real good, effective answer that won't immediately be discredited.

Financial self-sustenance is not a "fact" for the investing public until there's a recent quarterly statement showing it, and IMHO we shouldn't pretend it is.

It's much better to simply lay out the facts and let the reader come to the obvious conclusion:

"Tesla's heavy investments to dominate the luxury car market are finally bearing fruit, their latest sales smashed all records and right now Tesla is very likely robustly cash flow positive.

See this Bloomberg interview with Romit Sash, top ranked lead analyst at Nomura Instinet, with no position in Tesla, where he makes the observation that at these sales levels Tesla is very likely to be sustainably profitable:

"
Similar information provided, but much more effective presentation that actually has a chance to convince people with an open mind.

Also note that technically it's not a fact yet until Tesla closes the books and files the quarterly report. Our projections might have missed some cost component that ate a lot of cash. They might have failed to sell any ZEV credits or some other surprise. Workers might have decided to exercise $500m in stock options at the peak which created a big GAAP loss. There's a number of of low probability but plausible events that might still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Let's not counter the false uncertainty of the short trolls with false certainty.

I had the impression that this is the broad argument @beachbum77 tried to make - but I could be wrong.

Yes...but.... when it comes to Tesla financial some people demand ironclad proof. Yet when it comes to demand...or inventory ..or who may or may not want the cars...well then these same people can get away with whimsy and opinion...and "facts" as they see/want them to be.

Kinda makes me a little queasy. I had to put several on ignore cause I was boofing...no wait ralphing a little too much.

Thanks for the extremely useful information. :)

I was under the impression that *really really large* press lines had a longer lead time than 12 months because they were even more "custom order" than most press lines. (Tesla may need one of those for the Semi; they got one *huge* one used for the Fremont factory.) Am I wrong about that?

Industry standard is one year. Tesla pushed Schuler, as they do all other suppliers and they appeared to have done it in less. More time than a year would be gravy. However, it’s also standard industry for the press maker to stay on site for an additional year to fine tune, debug etc...

Yes, Tesla’s first big press line was purchased used (also a Schuler). However it’s a hydraulic press line vs servo. Read old and slower vs custom, faster, more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.