Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.Tesla Short Seller Warns of `Massive' Supply-Chain Disruption
Bloomberg) -- Short seller Fahmi Quadir, who’s betting against Tesla Inc., said the carmaker faces risks to its supply chain because some vendors haven’t been getting paid and others have been taking liens out against the company.

Blah Blah

Tesla didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Its shares fell as much as 1.8 percent to $259.11 as of 11:13 a.m. in New York. The stock is down about 17 percent this year.
How silly. Those suppliers would be up crap's creek if they cut off Tesla. That isn't how things go.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Bloomberg) -- Short seller Fahmi Quadir, who’s betting against Tesla Inc., said the carmaker faces risks to its supply chain because some vendors haven’t been getting paid and others have been taking liens out against the company.

Blah Blah

Tesla didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Its shares fell as much as 1.8 percent to $259.11 as of 11:13 a.m. in New York. The stock is down about 17 percent this year.
Doesn’t make sense, Tesla has very positive cash conversion cycle.
They get paid on the car before they pay the suppliers.
They should negate this as quickly as possible

They've clearly removed it due to the class-action suit they just lost. Likely it won't be offered as an option until a lot more of the FSD features are actually available.

Edit: the current situation of removing the FSD option is far more confusing and footer for negative press. I think Tesla should make an official statement about what's going on.

Tesla didn't lose the class-action, they settled. $1million goes to the lawyers, and $4.5 million goes to the model S/X owners who bought EAP and didn't get the features they were told/promised at the time they were promised. I think you're right that the removal of FSD was a result of this lawsuit being settled, but just wanted to point out the nuance of the settlement. See answer to Karen below.

But this settlement is really old news; how would it being finalized change anything? Tesla has known it was going to be finalized ever since it was agreed upon, and that hasn't changed anything about how they've positioned FSD. And there's nothing in the agreement that says anything about FSD. So why would it have an effect now?

There were features with EAP that were not delivered to the customer's expectations (autopilot 2 being par to autopilot 1 by a specific date; parking lot summon by a specific date; on-ramp to off-ramp autopilot, etc). This is the "confusion" that Elon mentioned. So to avoid this scenario again, where customers pre-paid for future features (and getting anxious about it), Tesla can re-introduce the feature again in the future (for a fee). This gives the customers a chance to say yay/nay based on what they can see and can be delivered, and not on what they understood the feature to be.

Tesla will always strive to improve their product, but customer expectations grew too rampant is all.

So, question on the shorts' ability to depress the stock. That makes sense in the short term in that they can make it appear to be dropping and spreading bad info etc. Isn't there a point though where other big money realizes that it is a smoke and mirrors game and calls their bluff?
How would you know it's not the big money driving price down so they can buy more?

Reactions: SpaceCash
We won't know until the EPA test results come out. But you can guess ~20% fewer cells. So you can make 5 Model 3 MR cars instead of 4 Model 3 LR cars. So if they can make 5k LR/week and they go with a 50% LR/MR mix they could make about 5,500 Model 3s per week. (This is assuming that the only bottleneck to getting to that rate is cell supply, which is what we have heard.)
The other possible effect of the reorganization is to produce more single-motor cars in the mix, because perhaps there's a shortage of front motors? This might help them produce more total cars by moving around the bottleneck.

I post to remember it's not all about what percentage the GM is. We have supposedly 12 years until the environment begins its downward spiral. I would rather see more EVs on the road than higher GMs.....
Oh, I hear you on that. But in our current screwed-up crony-capitalist world, Tesla has to maximize profit in order to maximize the number of EVs they put on the road. The disinformation spreaders have succeeded at that much: they have prevented Tesla from getting the loads of equity capital which they would otherwise have gotten, which would have enabled faster expansion with less profits. C'est la vie.

Blah Blah

Obvious FUD is obvious.

"Quadir, 28, didn’t identify any suppliers or vendors by name. "
"In a memo to suppliers in July, the company asked some suppliers to refund some payments to help it turn a profit."
"The Wall Street Journal reported in August on an Original Equipment Suppliers Association survey of executives that found most respondents believed Tesla posed a financial risk to their companies."
"Some small suppliers claimed in the previous several months that they failed to get paid, the newspaper reported, citing public records."

Let's break this down:

1) Quadir, a small-time investor who only gets any attention because she got one company right (hello, stopped clock) and someone made a documentary about her because of it, and who is short Tesla, claims some suppliers are going to go broke, but has no names to mention.

2) We all remember the attempt to spin "Tesla taking a hard line in supplier negotiations" as "OMG TESLA IS ABOUT TO IMMINENTLY GO BANKWUPT" last summer. Apparently I missed the subsequent bankwuptcy news. As an investor in Tesla, let me add: HECK YES they should be negotiating as hard as possible to get favourable terms with their suppliers.

3) The Original Equipment Suppliers Association survey was about companies worried that Tesla itself would go bankwupt, and that would have knock-on effects on them - not that they were going to go bankwupt supplying Tesla. Not mentioned about the surveyed companies: "all of the respondents said they wanted to continue or grow their business with Tesla".

4) "Small suppliers" is putting it lightly. There were a couple of lawsuits over tiny construction and remediation contracts (example) that Tesla was disputing. "The total outstanding dollar amount of claims is relatively small, totaling nearly $8 million, according to the documents." Of course, they don't mention that in this article - they spin it to sound like Tesla is three months behind schedule paying for steering wheels.

Last edited:
Also, most tsunamis would come from the east, from which direction the Gigafactory is more than 10 km inland. Even major tsunamis don't reach that far inland. From the south it's about 3 km inland, protected by a 5m+ elevated buffer zone.

This, however, is all very helpful.
Yes, and I specifically looked to see if I could see damage from the recent tsunami's, and didn't see any; I came to that conclusion as well.

Volatility is probably here to stay. Markets all over the world are performing badly. Now even the US market, which is still by far the strongest, is showing some weakness. If major indexes stay below the 200 moving average for too long we are probably headed lower.
Earnings so far have been great and the US economy is in very good shape, however the market is often a leading indicator and earnings may not matter much in the current climate. I hope I am wrong.
It would probably go down with the market. Riskier, highly valued growth stocks don't do well in a bear market.

The market in general is pricing in waaaay too much future growth; multiples are near historic highs. One has to expect some reversion. It will become clear which sectors and companies don't actually have any future growth, and their stock prices will drop.

Making vague, general statements like "riskier, highly valued growth stocks don't do well in a bear market" is misleading. In fact, if you've picked the correct highly valued growth stocks, ones which will continue to grow for fundamental reasons during the bear market, you will do well.

Ford was privately held during most of its early period. But does anyone doubt that it would have been an excellent investment *right through* the WWI recession *and* the Great Depression? There were other companies which would have been too. Some, even, where buying them before the Crash and keeping them through the crash and the whole Depression would have done well for you (though not many!).

Obvious FUD is obvious.

"Quadir, 28, didn’t identify any suppliers or vendors by name. "
"In a memo to suppliers in July, the company asked some suppliers to refund some payments to help it turn a profit."
"The Wall Street Journal reported in August on an Original Equipment Suppliers Association survey of executives that found most respondents believed Tesla posed a financial risk to their companies."
"Some small suppliers claimed in the previous several months that they failed to get paid, the newspaper reported, citing public records."

Let's break this down:

1) Quadir, a small-time investor who only gets any attention because she got one company right (hello, stopped clock) and someone made a documentary about her, and who is short Tesla, claims some suppliers are going to go broke, but has no names to mention.

2) We all remember the attempt to spin "Tesla taking a hard line in supplier negotiations" as "OMG TESLA IS ABOUT TO IMMINENTLY GO BANKWUPT" last summer. Apparently I missed the subsequent bankwuptcy news. As an investor in Tesla, let me add: HECK YES they should be negotiating as hard as possible to get favourable terms with their suppliers.

3) The Original Equipment Suppliers Association survey was about companies worried that Tesla itself would go bankwupt, and that would have knock-on effects on them - not that they were going to go bankwupt supplying Tesla. Not mentioned about the surveyed companies: "all of the respondents said they wanted to continue or grow their business with Tesla"

4) "Small suppliers" is putting it lightly. There were a couple of lawsuits over tiny construction and remediation contracts (example) that Tesla was disputing. Of course, they spin it to sound like Tesla is three months behind schedule paying for steering wheels.

Agree, bought Dec calls as lotto plays ..

Reactions: SpaceCash
Well, that news came out yesterday and TSLA was up with the Nasdaq at the open. If it was clearly negative then the stock would have been down in premarket trading already. I really think the larger story today is the huge volume of puts expiring.
Baring truly clearly NEGATIVE or positive news, we have systematically seen PRE and early market trading up, and then the selling begins - and fall.

Reactions: neroden

Blah Blah

Is there a source for this assertion that vendors aren't getting paid and filing liens? Which vendors?

How would you know it's not the big money driving price down so they can buy more?
I keep hearing things like this here and in other places. If they already have holdings, forcing the price lower to buy more makes no sense at all. The market is memoryless. "What have you done for me recently?" The situation today is exactly what it was predicted to be about two months ago, and yet the stock is down $100 from that point, because it never made back the losses in between.

I’m not investing in somebody I cannot trust.
I used to think that way, but as a result I missed out on Microsoft and Apple, and by not thinking that way I made tons of money on Exxon and Chevron (back when oil was profitable). So... I disagree.

I don't like people I can't trust, but in investing? Most CEOs can't be trusted. I think Musk can be trusted *more than average*. And some of the most profitable companies are the least trustworthy. A hard lesson to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.