Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's beyond odd. I've been gawping, with my jaw dropping, about it for years.

The number of people who don't seem to be able to understand basic economies of scale (fixed costs vs. variable costs) is far, far larger than I would ever have imagined, and it includes far, far too many people working as Wall Street "analysts".

I mean, I thought Wall Street analysts were bad, and I knew most people who invested in stocks were incompetent, but before I witnessed this, I would never have believed that so many of them could be unable to understand something this basic. It really is Finance 101, Economics 101, Business 101 material.

It simply astounds me. I've explained this to so many people. While I understand that random people off the street might not be capable of understanding this basic math, anyone who is working in anything remotely related to business management or financial anything ought to understand it, and it seems like over half of them don't.

Gobsmacking.

to me, it’s misinformation by design with wall st when it suits them. intented to take advantage of the misunderstanding/laziness by the masses.

which proves, that one shouldn’t depend on anyone else’s ‘analysis’ before throwing their money at anything. i know you’ve said it numerous times, along with many others.

CNBC front and center this morning with every analyst's reasoning TSLA is a 'sell'. Embarrassing stuff.

Apparently this wildly expensive first quarter of truly profitable production is the best we're ever going to see. As they continue to ramp, things will get less lean.

Reading these I wonder to myself if there is one adult human being on the planet who buys this nonsense logic.

Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's earnings: 'This quarter was different'

yep, all the usual suspects continue to sell

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Dabbed a bit around on Twitter, for fun, starting from @markbspiegl and branching out. First of all I don't understand the layout of Twitter - who's posting? Who's responding to who etc? (Maybe that says more about my age than anything else, I'm 38 so oldish when it comes to these things). But apart from that: WHAT A CESSPOOL of uninformed negative comments. If this is what us longs are up against I'd say we have nothing to be scared of.

Life is about balancing probabilities with their consequences, and how willing one is to accept the risk-weighted negative consequences against the profits. For example, I could have thrown $200k in additional funds for my house into long-shot bets on Tesla to try to get a seven-figure net worth in short order. But the probability-weighted negative consequences are just way too high.
For me, it's actually about what keeps me up at night. If I do the math, I realize the probability-weighted financial consequences of some of the things I *don't* do are actually... not that bad? But it keeps me up at night if I do them, so I don't do them. My health is bad enough and I have enough stress-related illnesses; no amount of money is worth risking it further.

On the other hand, some of the things I do are considered "risky" by others -- for example, long-term investments in things with massive volatility -- but they don't keep me up at night and if they fail I'll calmly shrug even if I'm down by a million dollars, so those, I'll take.

One has to balance their risk profile properly. This isn't pretend money we're playing with here. A person can be extremely confident in something and still end up wrong, or at least wrong within a given timeframe or wrong due to some sort of black swan.
It turns out that emotionally I care much more about losing due to *some types* of risk than others. I will blithely shrug off losses due to certain types of errors (whole market P/Es drop, for instance) and be really upset by losses due to a different type of error (management is defrauding me, for instance). I invest accordingly, to avoid the type of losses which seriously upset me.

For general information:
The single stock Limit Up Limit Down circuit breaker runs off a 5 minute average which starts at open (initial reference value is the average of the first 5 minutes of trading). So the 10% jump from yesterday's close should not result in a trading pause.
per:
https://www.nasdaqtrader.com/content/MarketRegulation/LULD_FAQ.pdf
(I could be misreading it)

I was wondering how long that would take. SEC needs to investigate Tesla on this. The numbers were way too good.:rolleyes:

yes, gordon johnson was on bloomberg accusing them of accounting irregularities.

no backup, no citiation, no facts, just accusations.

how the F is that ok?

he’s a lying piece of dog crap

(and you think i’m harsh, but again, how is this kind of stuff allowed?? it’s not even ‘gamesmanship’. it’s outright lies)

yes, gordon johnson was on bloomberg accusing them of accounting irregularities.

no backup, no citiation, no facts, just accusations.

how the F is that ok?

Hello SEC, how about prosecuting a real case of illegal market manipulation caught on tape, instead of obsessing over Elon's tweets, for a change?

Food for thought: if TSLA continues to rally, shorts may be forced to cover sooner than anticipated as it's likely their other holdings have been getting hammered, reducing their overall margin power.
Actually a lot of shorts considered tsla a way of shorting the entire market not just tsla. So if tsla up and entire market correcting they will cover faster

For me, it's actually about what keeps me up at night. If I do the math, I realize the probability-weighted financial consequences of some of the things I *don't* do are actually... not that bad? But it keeps me up at night if I do them, so I don't do them. My health is bad enough and I have enough stress-related illnesses; no amount of money is worth risking it further.

On the other hand, some of the things I do are considered "risky" by others -- for example, long-term investments in things with massive volatility -- but they don't keep me up at night and if they fail I'll calmly shrug even if I'm down by a million dollars, so those, I'll take.

It turns out that emotionally I care much more about losing due to *some types* of risk than others. I will blithely shrug off losses due to certain types of errors (whole market P/Es drop, for instance) and be really upset by losses due to a different type of error (management is defrauding me, for instance). I invest accordingly, to avoid the type of losses which seriously upset me.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. At least in the short term, it's not so much the paper losses that matter as in how confident the paper losses are not symptomatic of a broader problem.

I think I've finally reached a strategy for today, regarding my view of being overexposed to TSLA. I'm going to sell some, but not at opening price, which I just consider unacceptably low for after a report like this. I'll have an order to sell in the ~$331 range, and then some low-probability "in case there's a big rise" orders at ~$345, ~$354, and ~$359. If we never hit ~$331... so be it. Tomorrow I'll reevaluate based on today's market performance and set some more "informed" sell targets which I'll maintain until they're either hit or clearly not going to be hit.

5FBCF492-E8A1-489C-90A9-1E9A5FB7DA92.png
I spend over 30 minutes, daily, reading this forum, an enormous allocation of my time.

I had two French Alps one time...twin sisters...the Alps sisters. Memories LOL!

Dan
Dan, completely off topic, but congratulations on your M3, the first one I have seen with the aero wheels painted silver, love it. If I had seen your car before my purchase, I would likely have opted for the standard aero wheels. Tesla should change their aeros colour to silver, looks classy esp. on blue & red body.

This. Note that I really don't want to further a NN discussion in this thread, but: NNs are black boxes. They're almost impossible to analyze as to exactly why they made a given decision. This makes them fundamentally unfit for determining how to drive. The physics of "how to drive" is very straightforward, if you know the details of everything around you; this makes "how to drive" an obvious fit for human-coded algorithms, which are explicable and easy to control and tweak. It's the "knowing the details of everything around you" that's the sticking point, and the reason you need an excellent sensor suite backed by a powerful neural net.
OK, you've convinced me to make one more point which I had in the back of my head.

I think until the how-to-drive problem is properly specified, which it has not been yet, we won't know what the neural network needs to be able to identify, so we won't know how to start working on the NN training.

Example already brought up: it needs to know when it is approaching a blind curve. This is a pretty complex 3d modeling problem -- not just about modeling the things you can see, but the implications of empty space which you can't see. Example from the other end: identifying that there's someone else on the other side of the blind curve requires listening for their horn. (I don't think Tesla's system even has the microphone pickup yet.) Another example: identifying the type of road surface (dirt, gravel, grass) is actually quite important for certain driving tasks.

Until the specification of the how-to-drive problem is nailed down, we don't actually know what the neural network needs to be able to identify. I fully expect that when the how-to-drive problem is being seriously worked on, it will end up requiring a basically-from-scratch retraining of the neural network because it'll have to pick out data which they didn't previously realize was necessary.

This is the problem with not understanding what problem you're working on.

(For this reason, I think Tesla's existing data collection isn't worth much of anything. Having the largest fleet of cars on the road to collect data with will, however, be worth quite a lot sometime in the future when they actually have a self-driving problem specification -- they'll be able to do that training stage much quicker than anyone who doesn't have millions of instrumented cars on the road. They will, however, be starting from scratch at that point.)

Actually a lot of shorts considered tsla a way of shorting the entire market not just tsla. So if tsla up and entire market correcting they will cover faster
Seriously? Is there evidence for this? I mean, this would make shorts even dumber than I thought, because it means they didn't bother to look up R^2.

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash and sauce
Status
Not open for further replies.