Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well I can’t talk about the details, but it’s gonna be like a really futuristic-like cyberpunk, “Blade Runner” pickup truck. It’s gonna be awesome, it’s gonna be amazing. This will be heart-stopping. It stops my heart. It’s like, oh, it’s great." - So long as it's still durable if you beat it up, this tickles me pink ;)

So just to give some sort of visual context to the Tesla Pickup Truck teaser from Elon, here's how Blade Runner style cars look like:

Blade-Runner-2.jpg

Blade-Runner-1.jpg

Blade-Runner-3.jpg

Not bad!

If they also took some of the Hummer visual heritage as well then that would be a nice play on the fact that Hummers were once manufactured in Fremont:

2019-Hummer-H1.png

2019-Hummer-H2.jpg

Of course as a proper pickup truck and without the cooling grille. :D

I've mentioned before that my dream vehicle is one that goes to extremes on both efficiency and functionality simultaneously. So a very high-clearance, beat-it-up vehicle that doesn't need to be super-roomy inside, but has a long cargo area in the rear that when shrouded doubles as the rear taper, in order to get an extremely low drag coefficient. Extreme bonus points if the height of the rear shroud can be adjusted (with sliding walls) so you can choose between interior room (potentially with fold-up seats) or a super-low drag coefficient, based on your needs at the time.

When Musk talks like he was in this interview about the truck they're working on, it gets me really excited that maybe, just maybe, someone might be working on the vehicle of my dreams. Probably not, but....

From a bear perspective, what do you think about the possibility of a pull-down of TESLA stock to the 300$ mark level?

So if the rumors that Trump ordered his trade team to draft a China trade agreement are true and they agree and the China tariffs go away, that would be another bull market period up to the point of hard BRExit.

It's hard to see TSLA $300 under those circumstances, but never say never ...

Reactions: Boomer19
Very rarely does Tesla hype disappoint. People were talking about how Musk was overhyping the Semi unveiling. Was anyone disappointed? ;)
Musk was really excited about the rear seats on the Model X. And then it became know they didn't fold. Enter fold-gate.

I hope Musk is rightfully excited, but this could also be some new form-over-function situation...

Nice tidbit from the 10-Q:

Net cash used in investing activities during the nine months ended September 30, 2018 decreased by $1.31 billion as compared to the nine months ended September 30, 2017 due to the $852.4 million decrease in purchases of property and equipment due to higher spend in 2017 for building Model 3 capacity in Fremont, Gigafactory 1, and the expansion of our customer support infrastructure.​

I.e. their capex cash outflow levels are coming down - and that will "automatically" improve available free cash flow.

"Well I can’t talk about the details, but it’s gonna be like a really futuristic-like cyberpunk, “Blade Runner” pickup truck. It’s gonna be awesome, it’s gonna be amazing. This will be heart-stopping. It stops my heart. It’s like, oh, it’s great." - So long as it's still durable if you beat it up, this tickles me pink ;)

"Who do you wanna sell that to? People that buy F- whatever?

You know, I actually don’t know if a lot of people will buy this pickup truck or not, but I don’t care."

US regulators subpoenaed Tesla production data, company says

November 2, 2018 at 7:48 AM CDT - Updated November 2 at 7:48 AM

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. securities investigators have subpoenaed information from Tesla about production forecasts for the Model 3 electric car that were made last year, the company acknowledged in a regulatory filing Friday.

The disclosure in Tesla's quarterly financial report also says the Securities and Exchange Commission subpoena covered other public statements made about Model 3 production.

The filing also says Tesla is cooperating with a Justice Department request for information about production.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that the FBI is doing a criminal investigation into whether Tesla misled investors by overstating Model 3 production forecasts.

Tesla Inc. says in the filing that to its knowledge, no government agency in an ongoing investigation has determined that it did anything wrong.

A company spokesman wouldn't comment beyond the filing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hobbes and humbaba

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. securities investigators have subpoenaed information from Tesla about production forecasts for the Model 3 electric car that were made last year, the company acknowledged in a regulatory filing Friday.

The disclosure in Tesla's quarterly financial report also says the Securities and Exchange Commission subpoena covered other public statements made about Model 3 production.

The filing also says Tesla is cooperating with a Justice Department request for information about production.

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that the FBI is doing a criminal investigation into whether Tesla misled investors by overstating Model 3 production forecasts.

Tesla Inc. says in the filing that to its knowledge, no government agency in an ongoing investigation has determined that it did anything wrong.

Holy Rehashed News, Batman!

Tesla has literally already acknowledged this. Multiple times.

The 10-Q shows that they have definitely abandoned any plan for ramping to 10,000/week at Fremont next year, due to planning 3000/week in China. The media is so far reporting this as a positive (production in China), but there might start to be some negative news if they realise that this is actually a reduction in US production plans.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and bdy0627

Subpoena from SEC only, not DOJ.

From 10-Q (I presume is the source)
In particular, the SEC has issued subpoenas to Tesla in connection with (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private and (b) certain projections that we made for Model 3 production rates during 2017 and other public statements relating to Model 3 production. The DOJ has also asked us to voluntarily provide it with information about each of these matters and is investigating. Aside from the settlement with the SEC relating to Mr. Musk’s statement that he was considering taking Tesla private, there have not been any developments in these matters that we deem to be material, and to our knowledge no government agency in any ongoing investigation has concluded that any wrongdoing occurred. As is our normal practice, we have been cooperating and will continue to cooperate with government authorities. We cannot predict the outcome or impact of any ongoing matters. Should the government decide to pursue an enforcement action, there exists the possibility of a material adverse impact on our business, results of operation, prospects, cash flows, and financial position.

Certain Investigations and Other Matters
We receive requests for information from regulators and governmental authorities, such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the National Transportation Safety Board, the SEC, the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) and various state agencies. We routinely cooperate with such regulatory and governmental requests. In particular, the SEC has issued subpoenas to Tesla in connection with (a) Mr. Musk’s prior statement that he was considering taking Tesla private and (b) certain projections that we made for Model 3 production rates during 2017 and other public statements relating to Model 3 production. The DOJ has also asked us to voluntarily provide it with information about each of these matters and is investigating. Aside from the settlement with the SEC relating to Mr. Musk’s statement that he was considering taking Tesla private, there have not been any developments in these matters that we deem to be material, and to our knowledge no government agency in any ongoing investigation has concluded that any wrongdoing occurred. As is our normal practice, we have been cooperating and will continue to cooperate with government authorities. We cannot predict the outcome or impact of any ongoing matters. Should the government decide to pursue an enforcement action, there exists the possibility of a material adverse impact on our business, results of operation, prospects, cash flows, and financial position.

Status
Not open for further replies.