Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm here right now looking for a reason that TSLA just popped to 346.26

I believe it's macro related: Dow and NASDAQ popped too, dollar started strengthening.

My (speculative) guess: from the G20 tariff (China?) details leaked to certain traders and tariffs have an additional effect on Tesla.

Whoever engineered this $TSLA Thursday/Friday Dip and associated FUD articles to cash in on options market manipulation might have to fight against macro influence...

That's really misleading, as a lot of that is mandatory spending.
To be clear about this, the "mandatory spending" is almost all in three buckets:
-- Social Security payments, which are almost precisely matched with Social Security taxes;
-- Medicare/Medicaid/Obamacare payments, which are also almost precisely matched with specific dedicated taxes;
-- interest payments on the national debt, which go directly to rich people and large corporations (these are too large IMO, due to Republican tax cuts for billionaires)

In other words, the military is taking up over half of the money which comes in from federal income tax, tarriffs, and borrowing. A chunk is also going to interest payments.

What part of "breaking into" the $330s sounds like a "decisive dip"?

The stock went into the $330s. I noted this. I find it weird that I'm having to defend - in the market action thread - the most on-topic comment this thread has had in many hours. :)

Well there's your problem, posting SP information in the general discussion thread...

Makes me so angry when I see this charts. FFS, take all the money spent on military and use it instead for education, health, social security, etc., then you wouldn't need the military any more. Same applies to most developed nations, of course. There's enough money fo fee, house and educate everyone. It's crazy!

But how would the Lockheed Martin executives afford to send their children to private school and own vacation homes in Jackson's Hole? Think of the poor Lockheed Martin exectives, dependent on subsidies from Congress for the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed! Some might call it un-American to force these aristocrats to do *useful work* for a living!

So I'm here right now looking for a reason that TSLA just popped to 346.26 but all I'm getting is pictures of trucks, supercars, apologies for off-topic posts, and justification why that *sugar* doesn't need to be posted in General Discussion where it clearly belongs.
Shorts have to be covering, worried going into the weekend. If we get a truce with China/EU (or even just an agreement to put down the weapons and continue discussions into next year) we could easily move above resistance of $355 quickly. So, I think the weak shorts are being flushed out.

I do NOT think it's somehow people coming around to fundamentals or some insider knowledge.

I think the play here, from a tariff standpoint is that the 1/1/2019 date for the next "billions and billions of tariffs" will be shifted back to probably 4/1/2019 on the surface. That buys a lot of time during this period of the year for more discussions to be PLANNED at least.

And OI gets a stock market pop for the holidays, un-informed consumer confidence AND SPENDING could continue or go up, All for just a 90 day stay in direct combat.

It's probably a solid plan, so PLAN for that contingency.

Last edited:
LA Auto show, Audi, Daimler, Mazda and others are asked about Tesla and the influence on their business.

"Tesla was innovative, and they pushed the car industry in one direction," said Stephan Winkelmann, the president of Bugatti Automobiles. Bugatti operates within a particular, rarefied niche of the auto market ー its "entry-level" model sells for around $1.7 million ーbut Winkelmann said that even those high-end buyers are attuned to changing attitudes around CO2 emissions. The carmaker has previously said it will develop an electric car, though it's thought to be years away.

Tesla also looms at the opposite end of the market. Masahiro Moro, president and CEO of Mazda North American Operations, said Tesla's ability to "break through" has made it clear that automakers can no longer assume the status quo. "We have to look at ourselves to see if there are unmet needs of customers so that we can innovate our process."

For Volkswagen, the world's largest automaker by sales, Tesla's success in changing the narrative around electric vehicles ー making EVs cool ー is "something to look at and aim for," according to Derrick Hatami, the executive vice president of sales and marketing at Volkswagen of America. "It has presented an interesting window into what the possibilities could be for electric vehicles." In L.A., Volkswagen showed off its updated ID Buzz van, an electrified take on its classic minibus. At the same time, VW's other famous model, the once-trendy Beetle, is making its final curtain call at the show, an indication that the German behemoth sees the future of its business heading in a new direction.

And then there's the big German luxury automakers, with which Tesla competes most directly. Cheddar spoke to executives at both Mercedes and Audi, who credited Tesla with helping move that sector of the market into the future.

Gorden Wagener, chief design offer at Mercedes-Benz, told Cheddar that Tesla has been particularly important in jump-starting the move toward autonomy. "We will change this industry more in the next 10 years than in the 100 years before," he said.

And Anthony Foulk, the senior product manager at Audi of America, gave Tesla props for its stewardship. "They have definitely pushed the entire auto industry forward."

Hope King just back from LA Auto Show on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.