Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobfitz1 posted this in response to my post
@tivoboy posted
Couple comments about the 60 minutes interview:
1. It really seems like it was something forced by PR/Corp communications for Elon to do. I got the feeling he really didn't want to be there, didn't have something he wanted to say, almost like a hostage video. No FUD objective here, but I got the feeling that someone in the company said "hey, we really need to get you out there and do some PR".
@Bobfitz1 posted
Agree. But whether it was Elon or Tesla PR agreeing to Stahl interview, why choose to do it now, when end of Q4 production numbers are out in three weeks and Q4 Earnings 7 weeks? A second consecutive profitable quarter and actually paying off the 900 M owed will be harder for biased news organizations to ignore for old FUD and likely further relax Elon when handling negative questions.
POST update

@tivoboy posted
It's a good question, and I don't have any really good answers. Meaning, good signs about company. It could be simply latent action (probably shoulda coulda done something like this 1-1.5 months ago) or it could be they are reacting to something WE don't know or know yet. Consumer sentiment (concern about company solvency - I only bring this up because nearly everyone who comes to me about Tesla the car or co. or stock ((and of course who isn't already somewhat informed)) ask me "should I buy this car, do you think the company is going to be around in a few years?") It's really a thing people ask me as an owner and even if they don't know that I trade the stock.

To which, of course, I tell them "OF COURSE Tesla is going to be around in several years, most likely even better, stronger with more vehicle options," etc., but if the marketplace is asking these questions, maybe Tesla is thinking that they have to get out there and respond to some of this negative news and/or parry some of the concern.

But in reality, I don't really know and we may NEVER know.

Last edited:
He also stated this his tweets are not being reviewed, unless it might affect the stock, but he might make some mistakes and not ask for things to be reviewed when they should have been! I think tomorrow will be a bad day for the share price with this headline!
I see that this post generated lots of "disagrees", but it does concern me that Elon publicly acknowledged that his tweets aren't being pre-reviewed. Presumably, this includes his Tesla-related tweets. I would not underestimate the ability of a federal agency to make trouble for Elon / Tesla if they believe the terms of the settlement aren't being followed. I share Elon's lack of respect for the SEC, but I'd rather not stir up a hornet's nest.

That being said, such concerns are probably not material if one's TSLA investment horizon is on the scale of multiple years. I admit to being tempted to sell some shares, but I'll probably just hold.

EDIT: I just sold about 10% of my TSLA shares. I remain bullish, with TSLA very overweighted in my portfolio, but government agencies don't like being snubbed in public and I feel better diversifying a bit more.

Last edited:
Ironic argument:

Deregulate the solar and energy storage industry, eliminate the red tape. If I can put an oil derrick in my backyard without a permit, why can’t I put solar panels on my roof and energy storage in my garage without a permit?

Take fossil fuel industry off the government cheese, cut away their 12 permanent tax breaks that we hard working tax payers pay for, stop the welfare state subsidies for them now.

Which political party do I support to get this done?

It's a good question, and I don't have any really good answers. Meaning, good signs about company. It could be simply latent action (probably shoulda coulda done something like this 1-1.5 months ago) or it could be they are reacting to something WE don't know or know yet. Consumer sentiment (concern about company solvency - I only bring this up because nearly everyone who comes to me about Tesla the car or co. or stock ((and of course who isn't already somewhat informed)) ask me "should I buy this car, do you think the company is going to be around in a few years?") It's really a thing people ask me as an owner and even if they don't know that I trade the stock.

To which, of course, I tell them "OF COURSE Tesla is going to be around in several years, most likely even better, stronger with more vehicle options," etc., but if the marketplace is asking these questions, maybe Tesla is thinking that they have to get out there and respond to some of this negative news and/or parry some of the concern.

But in reality, I don't really know and we may NEVER know.

To which question was this written in response?

Ironic argument:

Deregulate the solar and energy storage industry, eliminate the red tape. If I can put an oil derrick in my backyard without a permit, why can’t I put solar panels on my roof and energy storage in my garage without a permit?

Take fossil fuel industry off the government cheese, cut away their 12 permanent tax breaks, that we hard working tax payers pay for, stop the welfare state subsidies for them now.

Which political party do I support to get this done?

... Libertarian :)

Damn, I predicted the TSLA SP close above 365 a few times in last couple of weeks but the Tariffman, Huawei, Brexit failed me. Let’s it does that today. If not, I will be very patient and quiet.
Tesla is selling cars unlike the trend in the broader auto market. People are spending up on a Tesla purchase.

The real data suggests people *want* what Tesla is offering, not what the automaket is offering.

It’s a fundamental shift that the market place wants to toward, which translates into a vast addressable market for Tesla products.

Production constrained grows as addressable market grows.

It is why there needs to be an industry wide production shift not just Tesla. Tesla can’t do it it’s own and thus the challenge by Elon on that boring show to make a better car then Tesla.(the bankruptcy comment).

OT:

9953BFDD-6E56-465A-851F-6AF6A17919CC.jpeg

Just boarded my Phuket, Thailand-bound flight for a few weeks of golf and diving along with amazing Thai food. And yet I'm already suffering separation anxiety from my two-week old P3D! Don't get any ideas, she's safely tucked away in her garage. ;-)

I traded in my BMW335is convertible almost 3 years ago and happily drove a 2000 Honda Civic while patiently waiting for this beautiful beast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.