Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that sucked...
I dunno. Its not like when it was manipulated into a 10% drop in a single day. Inching upward as the smart shorts quietly head for the exit is progress. I'd love me a real short squeeze, but I'll take this gradual ascent.

The other measure I look at is how $TSLA is doing compared to NASDAQ. Often the charts mirror quite nicely, even if offset. As long as $TSLA outperforms I'm (relatively) happy.

OT:

So, it sorta looks like they buckled on the first issue of opening the market, but not on the second issue of stealing technologies?

Seems Tesla is the only one that avoided Chinese partners introduced to their enterprise, probably b/c they open sourced their patents and there's not much to steal?

OK, so this is what I think about how Tesla got that sole-ownership factory:
(1) China needs Tesla more than Tesla needs China. We know that Tesla is the most approved-of electric car brand in Guangzhou, at least, from a recent survey! Not having Tesla manufacturing in the country is not good for China's trade balance, since Chinese people will still buy Teslas preferentially, over other brands like BAIC and BYD.
(2) It became clear that Tesla would not agree to a joint venture. Every other foreign company was pressured into it; Musk just said "No."
(3) On Tesla's side, Musk doesn't care about "intellectual property theft" over the long term: he's said that "moats are stupid" and the key is to run faster than the competitors. In short, China can go ahead and copy Tesla's *current* technology, and by the time they're done doing that, Tesla will have newer and better technology.
(4) And given this, I think China's tech copiers have given up on trying to catch up with Tesla by copying. Because they can't; they'll just end up where Tesla was several years earlier.

Last edited:
Another higher close means more margin calls, the highest close of all time was $385 on 18th of September 2017, the highest close this year was $379.57 on 7th of August 2018 and the highest close in the last 3 months was today at $366.76.

Each close higher will cause margin calls on shorts a close above $390 is likely to wipe out a huge swath of short position.

Another higher close means more margin calls, the highest close of all time was $385 on 18th of September 2017, the highest close this year was $379.57 on 7th of August 2018 and the highest close in the last 3 months was today at $366.76.

Each close higher will cause margin calls on shorts a close above $390 is likely to wipe out a huge swath of short position.

I haven't been doing this all that long. Why do you see $390 as a critical point?

Reactions: SpaceCash
Well that sucked...

I have a different perspective. Its very clear that Tesla is making good progress towards its goals. A rapid rise in share price, in my opinion, does us no good. We want slow, steady, and substantiated gains which aren't going to disappear as quickly as they developed. It's our best interests for shorts to be able to cover and move on in a way that minimizes hatred or spite for Tesla. Weak longs are just as much a problem as shorts. So for me today was perfect. Plus maybe I can afford a few more shares if I want to buy. Just my opinion.

Macro drop apparently due to Trump threatening a government shutdown unless he gets his border wall.
I am a neophyte investor and a lot of what goes on in the Market baffles me. Wondering if those who know a lot more can shed some light on this for me. We spend a lot of time looking for cause and effect, and my cynical mind wonders if we are chasing phantoms a lot of the time.

I've been playing in the market for about 8 years, and in all that time there was only one time where one singular event made me decide to either buy or sell a stock (and it was sort of a bad idea, funding secured). So it makes me wonder what are the real impacts of all these reasons that are put out there to explain market movement. Taking today as an example, would we really think that a sizable number of investors decided that since Trump is having a tantrum they would pull their money out of the marker causing a sharp decline? Then change their minds later and run the markets back up for a while? That doesn't make much sense to me.

So that takes the millions of small guys out the mix and just leaves us with the big institutional investors. Does this make sense for them either? Over the last year it seems there has been about a dozen times where the news said "trade wars" and the market took a dive, then within a couple days the news said "trade wars not being as bad as feared" and the markets soared back upwards. Did money actually leave the market and then come back again or was this all done with smoke and mirrors?

As a long and strong TSLA investor since July 2011, I realize that there are many people (both long and short) making or losing a great deal of money because of the intense volatility in TSLA. I'm just a buy and hold long term type of investor so I don't get into that mess. To me it would be like playing a game where someone else makes the rules, you don't understand the rules, and the rules are subject to change at any time with our without you realizing it, so I stay out of it. But knowing that the dramatic volatility makes TSLA a very good game for the short-term traders to play, and that every time it moves quickly in one direction or the other someone is making a lot of money, I wonder if the overall market is the same thing on a larger scale. Do the market movers decide that they want to see movement happen and then we all scramble to attach a cause to that effect? We often see short term moves in TSLA that don't seem to make sense so we say "Because TSLA". Should I also just think "Because Market"? I wonder.

Your assuming he wants to hang onto a girl friend. I mean I love my wife but if divorced (especially if twice) and I was worth billions of dollars, why would I even consider remarriage or even long term girl friend. God I hope my wife does not read this
I think the 2 disagreesvthis post garnered is from those afraid of their wives. I take no offense

I am a neophyte investor and a lot of what goes on in the Market baffles me. Wondering if those who know a lot more can shed some light on this for me. We spend a lot of time looking for cause and effect, and my cynical mind wonders if we are chasing phantoms a lot of the time.
Short answer: yes. Known error in stock market analysis. I repeat this, like, weekly. Most moves in the short term are NOISE. Nothing more. But every single analyst and newspaper reporter and half the people on this forum want a REEEEEASON.

Having figured out that most short term moves are noise, you are now more knowledgable than 90% of the people trading the stock market.

Status
Not open for further replies.