Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting this email today

The $7,500 tax credit expires on December 31. Let your friends and family know and give them 6 months of free unlimited Supercharging. If they order now we’ll make sure the car gets delivered before the end of the year.

Forward this email or share this link

Best Regards,
Troy Jones | General Manager, United States
3500 Deer Creek Rd. Palo Alto CA 94304
Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe
Obviously Tesla is going bankwupt!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Received that email from our regional manager, as well. Pulling out all the stops, as they should given the tax credit situation.

See also: giggawatt is not the same as gigawatt. ;)
Or a gagawatt, which is the measure of energy generated at a Lady Gaga concert (sans makeup).

Weekend OT:

How does Hyundai sell this for $37k? Selling at a loss or break even/?

Yeah, the same way Porsche charges at 350Kw: they overheat, then burn down. Where is their battery supply? What is their maximum secured output? C-R-I-C-K-E-T-S! :p

This is cynical marketing hype (Overpromise, Underdeliver) designed to cause hesitation in potential Customers of currently available EVs. This campaign is a form of FUD.

The Majors have learned nothing; they play at the old games; they continue to fight the changes necessary to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation.

CHE3RS!

OT . . . Today I came across this ancient quote from Elon given at a press conference held in June 2008, a long long time ago.

"We have some projects in the works that could actually deliver an electric car, pure electric car, for under $30,000 maybe a lot sooner than anyone thinks. . . I’d say, it’s probably 4 years at the most."

Here we are heading into 2019 and we're still not there yet, but we're getting there. I figure an under $30K Tesla model is still 2 years out?

Last edited:
Yeah, the same way Porsche charges at 350Kw: they overheat, then burn down. Where is their battery supply? What is their maximum secured output? C-R-I-C-K-E-T-S! :p

This is cynical marketing hype (Overpromise, Underdeliver) designed to cause hesitation in potential Customers of currently available EVs. This campaign is a form of FUD.

The Majors have learned nothing; they play at the old games; they continue to fight the changes necessary to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation.

CHE3RS!
Careful now. Tesla's been accused of same.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

CHE3RS!

Usually I see through this marketing FUD but here's one I fell for - the Ionity Network. You know how they're building a network of 350kW (500A CCS v2.0) charging stations? BZZT, wrong! They're building 200A CCS v1.0 stations:

The "500A CCS v2.0" thing is supposed to be a "later upgrade". I still believe that the chargers are capable of being "upgraded" to 350kW, but they're *not* 350kW the way they are now. At the very least they need different cables and cooling systems. And I'd bet on 5 to 1 odds that they're missing the extra inverter racks as well - I mean, why would they bother installing racks that are just going to sit idle gathering dust for however long it's going to be before they upgrade the stations? Also, the upgrade clearly can't be planned for any time soon - otherwise, why wouldn't they just have waited?

Ionity is not building a 350kW 500A CCS V2.0 network. They're building a 200A CCS v1.0 to be upgraded to CCS v2.0 at "some later date".

Careful now. Tesla's been accused of same.

Tesla overdelivers at least as often as they underdeliver. I'd say much more often. Think of the packages available for Model 3, for example - AWD wasn't announced at unveiling, P wasn't announced, white interior wasn't announced, 20" wheels weren't announced, etc. Model 3 LR RWD's EPA-tested range was well beyond the promised range. 0-60 times have been being exceeded. Charge speeds are faster than the nominal speeds. Etc.

They're late more often than not, but as far as producing the things they promise to produce, they're often even better than they promised.

That’s very interesting. Fred glosses over the even bigger story that it is Tesla who will be supplying the 1.2 GWh batteries for the Vistra project. To my knowledge the battery supplier for the Vistra project was not previously reported.

If Fred is correct that Tesla will be building the Vistra battery, that would mean that Tesla will be providing batteries for two GWh-scale projects for PG&E — the 1.2GWh Vistra project referred to in the Electrek article and the separate project PG&E will own of 730-1095 MWh.

Those two batteries are currently expected to be the two largest in the world when completed (deadline 12/2020 for each). Storage will replace 3 California gas plants as PG&E nabs approval for world's largest batteries

Interesting! According to DISQUS commenter carsonight, Tesla GF1 now has 2 bty cell production lines producing ~300K cells per day dedicated to TE.

That's about 0.324 GWh per month, or 3.888 GWh per year. So if Tesla runs full bore, they can crank out both these MegaPack projects in 2019 and have about 2 GWh spare cell capacity to use for home Powerwalls and commercial Powerpacks.

Sweet! :p

OT Marginally...
I keep thinking that there is going to be a double bump in share price next year. It seems to me that at about the same time as (1) Tesla Motors shows a sustainable profit to the naysayers, there will be (2) Tesla Energy appearing on the radar of investors. Tesla is in asymmetrical battle mode with fossil fuels and I am convinced they will be victorious. Okay, now back to regularly scheduled weekend programming...

Interesting! According to DISQUS commenter carsonight, Tesla GF1 now has 2 bty cell production lines producing ~300K cells per day dedicated to TE.

That's about 0.324 GWh per month, or 3.888 GWh per year. So if Tesla runs full bore, they can crank out both these MegaPack projects in 2019 and have about 2 GWh spare cell capacity to use for home Powerwalls and commercial Powerpacks.

Sweet! :p

IIRC they plan to triple storage installs from 2018 to 2019 so sounds like they are already on track to do that (~1GWh to ~3GWh).

Status
Not open for further replies.