Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How convenient that both MS & GS announced a downgrade on the same day.

Capitalism is the best system out there but.....

it sure has its flaws including the overweight influence that the big money center banks have on the market/system and the corrosive influence that the PE/Hedge fund world have on a fair marketplace.

My Conspiracy theory: Some big short who is customer of MS and GS asked for it to get better price for covering before delivery numbers comes out in January.

And TSLA holders are now in panic mode so this short can cover it easily.

And frankly, what on earth does the VP of Sales at tesla do? There's not marketing budget or funds, probably no sales force. They probably have ownership of the retail footprint, but I mean there's not product there. No inventory management to manage. There aren't really even SALES people, they are just order takers. There's no discounting, negotiating, etc., so what other than customer service and customer delight do they need training on? The car sells itself.

No slight to the departing exec, but this one really just seems like a headline. Probably gets the computers all upset though, they can only do what they are told.

What department do you think makes these videos? Model 3 Support Videos | Tesla Tesla definitely has a marketing budget.

Who manages the inventory, deliveries, events, test drives, stores, roll outs?

Sorry, but I take issue with people diminishing somebody else's work.

Not many people can cut it at a place like Tesla, where things are real.

Elon sees through BS. This mission is focused and hard core, and many forces are against them.

People have to be at top of game.

Not many can handle it.

But it's obvious that those that do handle it, stay and do amazing things.

The rest can go back to Apple or Microsoft and float along...

From many reports and observations we can agree that Tesla is not the best place to work at. They have A LOT of internal issues and a CEO who expects everyone to work themselves to death. This is not a healthy environment and whatever you've put on your mission statement doesn't give you rights to treat people like *definitely not sugar*.

My wife has worked for an abusive boss for a few years and I know what that can do to a person. No matter how smart, great or ambitious they are.

So sorry, but I again take issue with people looking down on people who had courage (yes, sometimes it takes courage) to move on.

I greatly admire people who work at Tesla and can only imagine how they have to deal with general chaos and lack of communications and being greatly overworked. And I love Tesla brand and company. But I wouldn't want to work there even for a day. So I fully understand when somebody decides to leave and respect that.

OT

Instead of fretting about the stock, I am laughing hysterically in advance. I just set my wife's car (unbeknownst to her) to fart every time she uses the blinker. She has no idea of this latest software update and I have to say, the random variety of farts will even make a grown man laugh endlessly.

Unfortunately, the feature disables itself when leaving the car, like the other Easter egg modes.

The keep-climate-on-when-exiting, however, is a genuinely awesome feature that many have been waiting on. Myself included. Even when rolling out 'useless' updates (as the headline of this update wherever it's covered is certain to focus on Emissions Testing and Romance Mode), Tesla continues to push further beyond other manufacturers by including functional improvements.

Check this out on the 1 hour chart. For the past three days, during the first hour of trading the volume was exactly 2.18 million each time. What are the chances? Seriously?
73399128-D6EB-4944-AD08-6A36A24AE7D4.jpeg

From many reports and observations we can agree that Tesla is not the best place to work at.

I'm not accepting that premise without some hard evidence. Note that a lot of anecdotal feedback on social media is invariably poisoned by short sellers and competitors badmouthing both Elon and Tesla.

In terms of evidence, have a look at this survey:

Elon Musk voted by SpaceX and Tesla employees as one of 2018's Best CEOs

Workplace culture and compensation monitoring website Comparably recently published the results of its 2018 Best CEO Awards. The website’s awards are determined from sentiment ratings provided by employees, who anonymously rated their employers on the Comparably.com website. The site’s surveys were conducted between November 26, 2017 and November 26, 2018, with the site compiling almost 10 million ratings from across 50,000 US-based companies this year.

Among the CEOs that were considered, SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk came out as No. 19 in the survey’s overall rankings. Musk, apart from GM CEO Mary Barra (who was No.49) were the only CEOs from the auto sector that made it to Comparably‘s list. Musk was also ranked as the 14th most sought-after tech CEO, among 29 chief executives that made it to the Top 50 rankings. Overall, Musk’s 19th overall and 14th in tech rank are quite impressive, particularly as he did not make it to the website’s rankings last year at all. That said, the majority of Elon Musk’s high ratings in Comparably‘s study came from workers at his private space venture.

Looking at the votes from Tesla and SpaceX employees, it was evident that Musk was ranked higher by his workers at SpaceX. On a scale of 0-100, SpaceX employees gave Musk an average score of 83. Those from Tesla, on the other hand, gave him a more conservative 77 out of 100. If Comparably‘s study only focused on Musk’s ratings from his Tesla employees, he would have missed a spot in Comparably‘s Top 50 Best CEOs list once more. In a way, though, Musk’s average rating from Tesla workers is actually pretty admirable, considering that the company had to pass through multiple tribulations over the past year due to the Model 3 ramp.​

According to this survey Tesla is the best car maker company to work at in North America, and compares favorably even to many Silicon Valley tech companies.

We also know that the Wired article was pure character assassination, a FUD-job of the highest degree, where every single verifiable anecdote was presented in a manipulative way that tried to put Elon in a bad light - such as describing Martin Tripp only as an "employee who spoke out against the company".

OT

Unfortunately, the feature disables itself when leaving the car, like the other Easter egg modes.

The keep-climate-on-when-exiting, however, is a genuinely awesome feature that many have been waiting on. Myself included. Even when rolling out 'useless' updates (as the headline of this update wherever it's covered is certain to focus on Emissions Testing and Romance Mode), Tesla continues to push further beyond other manufacturers by including functional improvements.
That is a super useful feature that can provide so much extra safety. I'd like to see it expanded to include awareness of occupants in the cabin via cameras and/or seat sensors. Every year we lose young children and pets to hot cars in preventable accidents.

From many reports and observations we can agree that Tesla is not the best place to work at. They have A LOT of internal issues and a CEO who expects everyone to work themselves to death.

This is definitely more a factor of click bait headlines and stories than reality.

If the reality matched the click bait stories, they would not have the success they have had.

The news is two unfavorable analyst reports from GS and MS - two firms that have consistently been very wrong on Tesla. Amazing that the markets put any credence in the words of analysts that have been so wrong for so long.

Perhaps something else motivates GS and MS:

We and Goldman, Sachs & Co., Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., as representatives of the several underwriters named below, intend to enter into an underwriting agreement with respect to the {2019/2021} notes ...

In connection with the pricing of the notes, we intend to enter into privately negotiated convertible note hedge transactions with one or more of the underwriters or their respective affiliates or other financial institutions (“hedge counterparties”).
First day of VWAP valuation for conversion during the Free Conversion Period is Jan 29, 2019--last day is Feb 26, 2019. That's when the fun begins. Share price will likely be more dependent on guidance/earnings report in mid February, but do not discount the possible effect note holders, hedge writer, Tesla itself, and speculators one and all may have during the VWAP valuation period

That is a super useful feature that can provide so much extra safety. I'd like to see it expanded to include awareness of occupants in the cabin via cameras and/or seat sensors. Every year we lose young children and pets to hot cars in preventable accidents.

That's already kind of a standard safety feature via cabin overheat protection (occupied or not). The car will never exceed 105 F unless the battery is low or the owner manually opts out of that feature. That said, I too would like the ability to automatically have the 'real' climate settings automatically remain on if there's someone in the car (as an option).

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
OT
OT

On a somewhat annoying (no, make that extremely annoying) side note, yesterday the contact guy for the Tesla store that I'm booked at for a Model 3 drive in Houston (will be in the states for Christmas), which my whole family was going to go along with (probably with several other people driving as well), suddenly decided that since I don't have "US insurance" (duh, I live in Iceland, where you don't have a store), they won't let me drive. Even though literally nobody from the Indianapolis store that I test drove at last year (one person online, 2-3 different people in person) saw it necessary, Tesla's site says nothing about insurance, the form letter I had gotten from them previously confirming the test drive said nothing about insurance, and everything you can find online says that dealers' insurance covers people who do test drives.

This was going to be the highlight of my trip. Taken away for no bloody reason. Even if someone were to offer to let me drive their Model 3, how would I explain that to my family without making Tesla look bad? :Þ Maybe I can find some place that can provide temporary "US insurance", aka me paying to get a worthless piece of paper (hopefully that I could print, otherwise I'd never get it in time) to let Tesla let me drive.
Look for an app called TURO, you could rent other peoples M3 for your entire stay, instead of just a short test drive. They do accept foreign drivers license and you can buy insurance from them for the trip, just like an airport rental.

CFRA auto industry analyst Garrett Nelson reiterated his Tesla BUY rating and $420 price target. That does not consider the contribution of solar panels and energy storage, but he expects that will eventually become significant. Those were answers to the two questions I submitted. However their utilities analyst Christopher Muir expects battery storage of solar and wind energy to continue as an ever growing need for power companies.

Nelson sees the performance, range and cool factor of Tesla cars to keep them ahead of the competition as production ramps. He predicts what are for an automaker, unprecedented exponential leaps in net earnings during the coming years.

Nelson does predict a slowing in 2019 for the more established automakers, but a pickup once autonomous driving becomes pervasive.

Nelson also laid out the benefits to both Apple and Tesla for the former to pay $100 billion to buy the latter as a subsidiary run by Elon, but considers that to be less than 10% likely in 2019.
The news is two unfavorable analyst reports from GS and MS - two firms that have consistently been very wrong on Tesla. Amazing that the markets put any credence in the words of analysts that have been so wrong for so long.

Note that CFRA is a buy-side firm. They earn income by recommending trades for their institutional and wealthy individual clients. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are investment banks/brokerages with sell-side analysts. Those firms earn fees by serving as intermediaries for trades, and by facilitating capital raises by corporations. Sell-siders are generally the ones more desirous of appearing in the media. You may want to pay close attention to buy-side analysts, while remaining somewhat skeptical of sell-side analysts.

Last edited:
I'm not accepting that premise without some hard evidence. Note that a lot of anecdotal feedback on social media is invariably poisoned by short sellers and competitors badmouthing both Elon and Tesla.

In terms of evidence, have a look at this survey:

Elon Musk voted by SpaceX and Tesla employees as one of 2018's Best CEOs

Workplace culture and compensation monitoring website Comparably recently published the results of its 2018 Best CEO Awards. The website’s awards are determined from sentiment ratings provided by employees, who anonymously rated their employers on the Comparably.com website. The site’s surveys were conducted between November 26, 2017 and November 26, 2018, with the site compiling almost 10 million ratings from across 50,000 US-based companies this year.

Among the CEOs that were considered, SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk came out as No. 19 in the survey’s overall rankings. Musk, apart from GM CEO Mary Barra (who was No.49) were the only CEOs from the auto sector that made it to Comparably‘s list. Musk was also ranked as the 14th most sought-after tech CEO, among 29 chief executives that made it to the Top 50 rankings. Overall, Musk’s 19th overall and 14th in tech rank are quite impressive, particularly as he did not make it to the website’s rankings last year at all. That said, the majority of Elon Musk’s high ratings in Comparably‘s study came from workers at his private space venture.

Looking at the votes from Tesla and SpaceX employees, it was evident that Musk was ranked higher by his workers at SpaceX. On a scale of 0-100, SpaceX employees gave Musk an average score of 83. Those from Tesla, on the other hand, gave him a more conservative 77 out of 100. If Comparably‘s study only focused on Musk’s ratings from his Tesla employees, he would have missed a spot in Comparably‘s Top 50 Best CEOs list once more. In a way, though, Musk’s average rating from Tesla workers is actually pretty admirable, considering that the company had to pass through multiple tribulations over the past year due to the Model 3 ramp.​

According to this survey Tesla is the best car maker company to work at in North America, and compares favorably even to many Silicon Valley tech companies.

We also know that the Wired article was pure character assassination, a FUD-job of the highest degree, where every single verifiable anecdote was presented in a manipulative way that tried to put Elon in a bad light - such as describing Martin Tripp only as an "employee who spoke out against the company".

Sure, I didn't specifically mean the CEO. He's constantly under enormous stress and pressure and I'm amazed by him. Based on all stories I read, good and bad, I'd put him on the top place of best CEO's out there. Still wouldn't want to work for the guy.

This forum and many others have seen numerous reports from people stuck at Service Centers or with chaotic or painful delivery processes which all are symptoms of internal struggles. Sure, I get it, amazing growth leads to chaos, but you can only get so far with people by pushing and pushing them all the time. And if they finally break it doesn't mean necessarily mean that the person is "broken" or "not up to the task" or "BS-er". Or they work doesn't matter anyway.

Glassdoor reviews also tell a story of fast pace, chaotic environment, but still fulfilling. Vision and mission are great motivators and people will put up with a lot if they feel they're doing important work. https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Tesla-Reviews-E43129.htm

An amazing book came out recently that really changed the way I look at a workplace. I'm establishing my own business at the moment and the book will be my manual for building a healthy environment. https://www.amazon.com/Doesnt-Have-Be-Crazy-Work/dp/0062874780

Anyway, this is now massively OT, I just originally wanted to ask to not dismiss people and their work. Peace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.