Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow will be all over the news. CNBC will post an article every hour. No chance for SP recovery.

OMG Tesla tires can burn!
Wait, tires are made from rubber, rubber is made from oil, oil based cars can catch on fire!!!
Get the car with the least petroleum possible!!!
Wait, isn't that an EV?
Tesla is an EV....
Telsas run on electricity, but they also run on tires, tires are made of rubber, rubber is made of oil so Teslas run on...
Seg Fault

SA reporting Daniel Kim, head of global sales and marketing, "bolting" from Tesla to Airbnb.

He gave up "head of global sales and marketing" to become a director in airbnb? So he was a mid level manager at best. FUD always tries to paint executives are leaving tsla in droves. Now they have to list all the director level details. What is next? Head of bathroom management?

And I think certain level of executive turn over is really healthy. Otherwise where is the promoting space for the aspiring ascending young people?

OMG Tesla tires can burn!
Wait, tires are made from rubber, rubber is made from oil, oil based cars can catch on fire!!!
Get the car with the least petroleum possible!!!
Wait, isn't that an EV?
Tesla is an EV....
Telsas run on electricity, but they also run on tires, tires are made of rubber, rubber is made of oil so Teslas run on...
Seg Fault

Um, I think rubber still comes from a tree, but agree with the sentiment.

I think it's far more likely an institution owns 5, 10, or 15 million shares of Tesla because they think it is an attractive holding than because it will allow them to manipulate the stock for trading purposes.

I'm not saying their is zero intersection between institutional holders and those who are trading the stock and using manipulative tactics to move the price... I do, however, think that institutions are far from the main source of this activity, and to the extent they might be participating in this game, it's an incidental opportunist move, not their basic strategy to make money via TSLA.

I think hedge funds, and traders more broadly, are much more the groups engaging in the kind of manipulative trading, I'd agree with you is very likely happening.
You need to be very skeptical of some "institutional holders." GS "holds" just over 1 million shares of TSLA. I'm pretty sure 100% of that is shorted against the box, and they're probably short another couple million shares as well. It's really the only thing that explains their actions.

They were one of the hedge providers for Tesla's convertible notes which they were also underwriters for. This is perfectly consistent with their MO of trading against their own clients. I think they made a large bet on Tesla's failure very early on and have taken many steps to try to make it fail as they keep doubling down on this bet.

Yet on paper they are a major institutional investor. This is simply because there is only transparency requirements for share holders but none for short sellers. So they are a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The news is two unfavorable analyst reports from GS and MS - two firms that have consistently been very wrong on Tesla. Amazing that the markets put any credence in the words of analysts that have been so wrong for so long.
If you or I were to post this type of 'facts', we would be accused of manipulation

OT

Were you on AP? Did it disengage? Were there warning sounds? Did you email the bug report, call, or use the in car bug report?
1. I was not on AP.
2. N/A
3. No
4. I used the in-car bug report.

Now, I do not consider this a bug, per se. It Is Known that the car needs weight in the driver's seat to activate its Go feature - and if you're a Tesla owner and you did not know this, you do now, and I suggest you go ahead and try it in the safety of your driveway at 2 or 3 mph. At any rate, it is $!#%^&* scary to experience that at high speed! And I'm really curious to learn exactly what it was trying to do for those 1-3 seconds of in-cabin terror.

Dividends are for companies who feel that they've run out of markets that they can effectively take over.

Tesla isn't even close to that. Maybe about 20 factories from now they'll have spare cash to pay out. But no time soon. Tesla is a growth stock, not a dividend stock. It's actually a big advantage they have over their competitors, which are burdened with investor expectations of earning a dividend on their holdings.

Yes, but the value of a growth stock is because it will eventually pay out in dividends much more that the current share price. It has to hit dividend territory at some point, or its intrinsic value is zero. You can’t eat shares. You can sell them at a profit, yes, but only because the buyer sees intrinsic value, which exists only because of potential dividend.

Even if no dividend in sight, it’s not wrong to talk about dividend.

True,
heat in a fast charged cell causes expansion. Like wise, cooling of the cell causes retraction. In 'short', all of those cycles will cause microscopic fractures in the cell. This leads to early cell failures.
Each cell can remove itself from the pack by fuse links thereby preventing further damage by trying to charge a cell with high resistance - possible fire.
It is best to charge a cell, at a speed which limits this rapid heating and also draw down the cell in a like manner. This is why Tesla's BMS is world class.

Yes, but the value of a growth stock is because it will eventually pay out in dividends much more that the current share price. It has to hit dividend territory at some point, or its intrinsic value is zero. You can’t eat shares. You can sell them at a profit, yes, but only because the buyer sees intrinsic value, which exists only because of potential dividend.

Even if no dividend in sight, it’s not wrong to talk about dividend.
Hmmmm. Shareholders own the company. So the intrinsic value is not zero. For eg. The company can be taken over by another company and you get paid a lot for your shares. So, the company never paid any dividend, but was valuable.

True,
heat in a fast charged cell causes expansion. Like wise, cooling of the cell causes retraction. In 'short', all of those cycles will cause microscopic fractures in the cell. This leads to early cell failures.
Each cell can remove itself from the pack by fuse links thereby preventing further damage by trying to charge a cell with high resistance - possible fire.
It is best to charge a cell, at a speed which limits this rapid heating and also draw down the cell in a like manner. This is why Tesla's BMS is world class.

A high resistance cell would actually be cooler because P=V^2/R. A high resistance cell (in parallel with others) has less current passing through it. If you force X amount of current through a higher resistance, it will get hottter, but that is a different senario. Cells catch fire when their resistance drops due to punctures through the separator and you get a short with high current. That's what the fuse protects against.

1. I was not on AP.
2. N/A
3. No
4. I used the in-car bug report.

Now, I do not consider this a bug, per se. It Is Known that the car needs weight in the driver's seat to activate its Go feature - and if you're a Tesla owner and you did not know this, you do now, and I suggest you go ahead and try it in the safety of your driveway at 2 or 3 mph. At any rate, it is $!#%^&* scary to experience that at high speed! And I'm really curious to learn exactly what it was trying to do for those 1-3 seconds of in-cabin terror.

I was asking to get some context. Also, my understanding is that in car bug reports end up in the ether (might not be true but not worth the chance). Also, I would recommend emailing [email protected] and/or using the escalation on your mytesla. That sounds really scary and not some kind of intended behavior. The butt sensor should maybe kill power (acceleration) but not engage brakes at highway speeds.

Glad you're ok, including the precious cargo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.