Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an older but intuitive price map:
Expensive-Power-Europe-620x479.jpg

It's 5 years old so a bit dated, prices have come down a bit in some of these areas, but this map shows the general distribution of cost of electricity. 20-25 cents per kWh is a good rule of thumb for residential electricity, in western Europe.

Note that in many markets you can get cheaper overnight electricity plans in the $10c range (sometimes less), which will skew these costs. Nothing will beat the almost-free Texas overnight wind electricity prices though. :D

This also suggests that the Model 3 will be non-linearly more popular in Eastern Europe, which has similar gasoline prices with high tax content, but much lower (often subsidized) electricity prices. The main barrier to EV adoption there is the high cost of the cars - the Standard Range Model 3 will be a big hit there.

Thanks FC. Very helpful. In terms of energy-dollars, I get about 100 mpg-e (with gas at say, $3.10/gal). It looks like, in some cases in Europe, with gas in the $6-7 range, that around 200 mpg-e could be achieved. No??

Not possible. That whole week is typically a holiday week. A very slow week. You are not going to find many employees nor buyers willing to spend time rather than visiting family and other holiday pursuits.

Except someone just posted a page or so ago that they were informed Tesla would be delivering cars 12/23-12/31 from 6am-12am (midnight). Another forum member also just said they’ve volunteered to help at their local store/SC on the 30th & 31st

As another point of reference, employees apparently worked right on thru Thanksgiving at Gigafactory.

And another point of reference - employees generally get some time off in the New Year and it’s been that way since I’ve been following Tesla.

None of that sounds anything like you’re implying, but rather the opposite. It’s full bore at Tesla the last two weeks at Tesla right thru AND during holidays. And there are plenty of shoppers and gift receivers during that time. Getting cars for Christmas has been the ultimate holiday gift for decades according to all those OEM commercials.

Last edited:
The 240v standard in Europe will help EV demand too. One of my concerns buying a Tesla was not having 240v in the garage, having to deal with house modifications & contractors, etc.

Someone had mentioned Europeans favor smaller engines, but I think that is mostly due to taxes based on engine displacement, not because they undervalue acceleration. I think the Model 3 will do very well in Europe, and not just the slower versions.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
We all experience a lot of FUD these days from the shorts and the already known manipulation from media and analysts trying to create a negative sentiment. The Fed decision is a catalyst for it.
I take exception to this statement. Last couple of years have been unbearable, but current coverage is relatively benign. No, it's not balanced, but it doesn't feel driven by that malicious force that was present in the past.

As such, I suspect we're seeing relatively natural SP reactions.
I am saying this from the perspective of 'bad guys could come back out', don't be caught flat footed. I feel it's an error to assess situation incorrectly. Some of the demand worries are natural market behaviours, as in market for any stock will always worry about something. Most often next quarter results, whether there is a reason or not.

A Tesla employee (who organize test drives in Paris) told me recently that Tesla will probably open some chargers to other manufacturers in each SC station, and that the wait time for these ones would end up much longer than those reserved for Tesla vehicles. This way, they would be open but keep a clear advantage.

*pushing ‘that’s interesting’ button*

Are you betting we're going another 10% down? Otherwise, why buy later?
With everybody saying resession is scheduled for 2020, what reasons do you have to believe that the slide will continue prior to 2020?
Also, with those analysts claiming that you might miss 5-10% growth in 2019 if you quit the market early, seems to be a a ridiculous argument if we're poised to keep losing 10% per week.

If you're giving an advice to sell, it'd be appropriate to rationalize it somehow, otherwise it is reading as a BS.
I’m betting than over the next 30 days there will be a chance for a same or lower price and the tax loss now becomes a gain then. Depends on how big the loss is. If it’s not 10% or more then I’d just ride it out. We’re going to see lower prices IMHO of probably 5%+ before any ATH or higher.

Like all things in life it’s about timing. At this point one would have to wait till end of Jan to rebuy the STOCK. Wash sale rules don’t allow buyers to buy a call option without triggering the wash sale rule. The opposite isn’t true though which is odd. Anyhow. Within 30 days we’ll have a lower entry point. 45+ days we’ll have a higher price- than today’s. That’s my thesis that im wrapping my options contracts around.

Notarecommmedationtobuyorsell

A Tesla employee (who organize test drives in Paris) told me recently that Tesla will probably open some chargers to other manufacturers in each SC station, and that the wait time for these ones would end up much longer than those reserved for Tesla vehicles. This way, they would be open but keep a clear advantage.
Was there a strong smell of solvent about ?

• Funny
Reactions: LST
Status
Not open for further replies.