Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t believe I dug myself out of the $420 funding secured hole, and now I have to dig myself out of this...

If you have the funds to hold until the Q4 report in late Jan/early Feb, don't worry about it. This is KABUKI Theatre, off-Broadway Edition.

Cheers!

EDIT: Let's see if we can find support at the lower BB, currently at:
321.12 (9:51 am EST)
322.46 (10:01 am EST)​

Looks like we found some support at the lower BB, with an assist from rebounding NASDAQ-100 macros.

Last edited:
" Tesla has been trying to reduce delivery time for quite some time and just in time for its end of the year delivery rush, the automaker is introducing a new 5-minute buying and delivery process. (...)

A source familiar with Tesla’s sales in the US told Electrek that the company was still about 81% to its delivery goal for the quarter in the US as of yesterday."

This doesn't sound difficult. The company's goal was never published; all they said was "more than Q3". Q3 was 55840, so "more" is 55841. 19% of that is 10610, which means they need to deliver 816 Model 3s per day starting today. Sounds completely possible.

Particularly since according to Troy's data, they were producing 6000+ Model 3s per week (857 per day) a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I estimate on 18th Dec Tesla had delivered a minimum 45.4k model 3s, with a further 4.2k in transit & 8.5k in inventory. I think there is 4.6k remaining order backlog (I don’t have high confidence in this backlog estimate, it could be a bit less), so Q4 model 3 deliveries should be at least 54k without any last minute inventory sales. If another 6k model 3s are produced in the final days of the year (Troy’s estimate), inventory would finish at 9,000 model 3s (this would nearly all be finished goods rather than in-transit, so wouldn’t show in the delivery report). They should be able to sell at least 1-2k more inventory cars in the year end sales push so: Bear case Q4 delivery estimate is c.55k.

This is using Troy’s extremely helpful data and Electrek’s report that Tesla were at 81% of Q4 US delivery target as of 18th Dec. Big assumption is that the 81% is accurate for 3 as well as S/X. It uses a worst case internal Tesla model 3 delivery target of 56k (guidance was > Q3).

If Tesla’s target was in fact 60k, then i estimate 48.5k deliveries as of 18th Dec with 4.5k in transit & 5k inventory. Q4 deliveries would be 58k without additional inventory sales. If another 6k model 3s are produced in the final days of the year, inventory would finish at 6,000 model 3s. Again, at least another 1-2k more inventory cars should be sold in the year end sales push so: Mid case Q4 delivery estimate is c.59-60k.

If Tesla want to push to clear all inventory, they can launch a model 3 lease offer in the coming days. So Bull case Q4 delivery estimate is c.$64k. If they increase production from the current slowed 3.5k per week rate for the remainder of the year, this could be higher.

OT

Yeah, thought I'd get pushback on this, but here's the NYSE and NASDAQ position:

NYSE: "no director qualifies as 'independent' unless the board of directors affirmatively determines that the director has 'no material relationship' with the listed company, either directly or as a partner, shareholder or officer of an organization that has a relationship with the company."[4]

That's a misreading. Shareholder of an organization that has a relationship with the company. As in, can't own stock in a supplier.​

So, this is a pretty crazy nonsense dip, with all the news from the company being positive. (Yes, they're still not fixing their communications problems, but that's not *news*.) Also all the news from the competitors has been positive for Tesla. I think we know enough to discount a fire which was probably caused by improper towing.

This feels bear-raid-like, though it could be any number of things. Reminds me of the Feb 2016 dip, though I suspect it will be less severe than that.

I'm sort of pre-positioned due to my put sales. If it really crashes well under $300 and stays there for a while, I get all-in on TSLA. And at those prices, I think that's the right thing to do.

We'll see. The deliveries report might act as a source of price support.

Status
Not open for further replies.