Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgian liability lawyer here.

To be awarded damages you carry the burden of proof regarding three things:
1) that a certain party acted in a careless or erroneous manner;
2) that you suffered damage;
3) that aformentioned damage is caused by aformentioned error/carelessness.

In the common law system of the U.S. the burden of proof will of course be worded differently, but the gist will be the same.

The Latin phrase "Actori incumbit probatio" is used: "He who claims, must provide proof".

So the family of the Apple engineer must convince the Court of the following:

1) That Tesla acted carelessly by releasing AP in beta / That AP did not function as promised.
2) That they suffered damage, this is a given.
3) That the crash is directly caused by Tesla's carelessness and/or AP's errors.

Both number 1 and 3 are in my opinion not so easy.

First of all: you can easily prove that AP did steer the car towards the barrier and crashed into it. The logs probably show this and the many videos online show that the current AP 2.0 does this at that location.

However, the Court will have to question if said behaviour of AP equals AP not working as promised. Tesla has never claimed the current rollout of AP can be trusted as a hands-off system. It is beta after all.

You could possibly convince the Court that - knowing the above - releasing the current version of AP 2.0 is careless, 'cause it might endanger users. You could argue about this (Tesla gives ample warning, but I could sell a dangerous object and warn the consumer, this still might get me in trouble legally), and regarding this point Tesla might lose. We will have to wait and see.

Concerning the causality, this is were it gets really interesting (for legal nerds :) ).

Let's assume the Court rules Tesla's releasing AP as careless. And it rules the current AP to malfunction.

Then this has to be the direct cause of the crash. A legal chain of causality can however be broken by another (stronger) factor.

An example from a real Belgian Court case: a driver makes an error and hits another car, injuring the other driver lightly. The paramedics are called to transport the injured person to the hospital. On the road to the hospital, the paramedics crash, killing the patient. The family of the killed person sued a whole bunch of people, including the driver that hit him in the first place. The reasoning would be that "had the victim not been hit by the first driver, he would never have been in that ambulance, thus not being killed".

Technically this train of thought is valid, but the chain of events is 'broken' by the paramedics van crashing - an event not caused by the first driver.

Applying this to the Model X crash you could easily hold Tesla accountable for releasing faulty software, but in my opinion you can argue that the actions of the Apple engineer (= not touching the steering wheel for at least 5 seconds before impact, whilst being warned multiple times by the car) are careless in itself, breaking the chain of causality from Tesla's faults to the damages suffered by the family.

TL;DR: There are arguments to be made on both sides, but I think Tesla should be safe in Court.

Great post, as a Scottish (non-liability) lawyer I agree with you, as far as countries where judges apply the law according to strict legal tests is concerned, like Belgium and Scotland.
What I am not so sure of is that the US court (possibly State court?) that hears the case will have the matter decided by a judge. In the US, there is likely to be a jury (as I understand) and juries have a degree of latitude to "do justice as they see it". My concern is that, even with a direction to the jury about the applicable legal tests, the jury might rule in favour of the pursuer of the action at least partly out of sympathy with the family or a desire to punish Tesla for releasing beta safety tech.
Is there a US lawyer out there (California ideally) who can speak about the role of the jury in these cases in determining liability. I would be most interested.

It seems like this article from our good friend at CNBC - Lora Kolodny - it's behind some of the dip. Its basically some hearsay that Tesla's math on injuries a few years ago, was suspect.
Tesla under-counted worker injuries for a better safety record, report alleges

The volume of FUD that lady can come up with, and that she's permitted such a large megaphone by CNBC, continue to amaze me.

On your point re CNBC (“amazement” that Lora’s ‘reporting’ there continues), Cramer and Tim Seymour have been more intensive in their gibberish for years on CNBC. Cramer pretty much birthed the “Tesla=Cult Stock=no rational basis for valuation” false narrative via years of machine gun ad campaign repetition.

A couple of weeks back, in a video CNBC posted on Yahoo Finance, one of their hosts read the first sentence of a bullish analyst’s rebuttal re the slew of bear narratives in recent weeks. Simply read an opening sentence from the analyst report along the lines of, “We do not agree with A,B,C...”, and then the same host laughed out loud, stated not a single word re the case the analyst made countering any of those narratives, and then presided for the next 7 minutes or so over a panel of 5 or 6 piling on and on and on that only irrational cult followers could take such a defense of Tesla seriously, etc.

If you see nearly all the coverage, it is almost impossible to believe this gibberish is getting a megaphone at CNBC, or for that matter, Forbes, Fortune, The LA Times, Yahoo Finance, The NY Times, the Murdoch trio (WSJ, MarketWatch, Barron’s) in spite of the management of these organizations.

[
At the 3k to 5k boundary, duplication of the bottle neck equipment is an option. That would be serious from a time delay, but not from a feasibility POV. (OK, if may be a pain to rearrange the line to fit the duplicate section, but that is still logistical vs full roadblock).
i don’t think this is a long term issue. As soon as the Grohman line one system was shipped, I’m sure the started assembling Grohman line two for the gigafactory. Eliminating the manual line processes is critical. I would expect a line 3&4 to be coming as well. The semi Roadster and an updated Model S & X will require capacity to rise above 5000 per week.

I just added a small batch of shares and put in a sell order for my primary holdings at 425. Fidelity is not paying me to loan them, so I want to be sure they aren’t loaning for their own gain. For such a big drop without does anyone think there was some institutional selling? Seems like shorts should be running out of shares to short.

[

i don’t think this is a long term issue. As soon as the Grohman line one system was shipped, I’m sure the started assembling Grohman line two for the gigafactory. Eliminating the manual line processes is critical. I would expect a line 3&4 to be coming as well. The semi Roadster and an updated Model S & X will require capacity to rise above 5000 per week.

I just added a small batch of shares and put in a sell order for my primary holdings at 425. Fidelity is not paying me to loan them, so I want to be sure they aren’t loaning for their own gain. For such a big drop without does anyone think there was some institutional selling? Seems like shorts should be running out of shares to short.
Why put in a sell order at 425? So the shares don’t get loaned ?

Great post, as a Scottish (non-liability) lawyer I agree with you, as far as countries where judges apply the law according to strict legal tests is concerned, like Belgium and Scotland.
What I am not so sure of is that the US court (possibly State court?) that hears the case will have the matter decided by a judge. In the US, there is likely to be a jury (as I understand) and juries have a degree of latitude to "do justice as they see it". My concern is that, even with a direction to the jury about the applicable legal tests, the jury might rule in favour of the pursuer of the action at least partly out of sympathy with the family or a desire to punish Tesla for releasing beta safety tech.
Is there a US lawyer out there (California ideally) who can speak about the role of the jury in these cases in determining liability. I would be most interested.
If this is a question on the Rosen lawsuit, it is a federal case and the plaintiffs have demanded jury trial.

[

This dip looked like heavy shorting to me.

Why put in a sell order at 425? So the shares don’t get loaned ?
Yes. Not sure if they were, but if I’m not getting paid, I don’t want anyone else benefiting.
Fidelity would not let me put in a higher price. I will raise it if the stock goes up.
Could see sideways or down through earnings, but could take off if 3000 Bloomberg number is really correct. That would imply they are ahead of schedule on path to 5000 and the stock could jump. If Elon is right, which I believe, the stock should rally big very quickly when the ramp is seen as a long term and continuing process and positive cash flow is believed or is happening. It could start this afternoon or October. As long as I’m not in calls or puts, I don’t care about the exact timing.

I did, yes. Overall worldwide sedan sales are certainly enough to support 500k cars per year from a single manufacturer. I just think it's much harder for Tesla to do that. They don't sell worldwide and are still missing in some markets. Until today they have only one car in that price range. And most importantly: I have yet too meet a single person, that is not an EV enthusiast and would buy an EV, if there is no way to charge it at home. Not sure what the U.S. market looks like, but over here that is close to half of the population. As always, this may change over time, especially when it comes to the charging situation. But it will probably take long enough to be irrelevant for my short position.
People will adapt to charging. It requires some additional infrastructure and a slightly different mindset, but this is a change that can go quite quickly.

If you look at Norway, BEVs and PHEVs comprised 55.8% of total sales in March. Which means we're already at the point where over half the car buying population considers charging workable. Now, some would say Norway is a strange country where nothing makes sense, but really, we aren't that different.

In the end it may boil down to something like: The so called "premium" car makers are struggling to sell 2 million vehicles a year worldwide. To do that, they offer a range of a dozen models in various sizes and at various price points and with 100% reachable market. (e.g. junk-companies like BMW or Daimler) I honestly can't see how Tesla is supposed to sell 500k of a single model in half the reachable market. The more you shift from "premium" to "volume" car companies, the better your unit sales are. But at the same time you can say "Good bye" to a high ASP and most of that margin.
If Tesla sold five different versions of the Model 3, you're probably correct that the Model 3 sedan wouldn't sell 500k/year. But the lack of the ideal BEV forces people to go for the BEVs that are available. And since there's no meaningful competition out there, Tesla will easily sell everything they can produce.

In a few years, the competition might become more meaningful, and by then, Tesla should add a hatchback, a station wagon and other versions. But they have a few years to do that. The next big hurdle is the Model Y.

I have yet too meet a single person, that is not an EV enthusiast and would buy an EV, if there is no way to charge it at home.

The charging issue will eventually work itself out. The amount of people capable of installing an adaptor at home is very vast. One doesn’t start out as an enthusiast, they become one after driving and owning the car. By then, there is no turning back and the path to converting family and friends begin. This process can ultimately be much faster than you think. Furthermore, you are underestimating the fact that many owners who drive luxury cars are now free from maintenance and gas savings. My monthly gas bill dropped by $200, and oil changes savings of $600 a year. Brake pads are another quick save.

In a few years, the competition might become more meaningful, and by then, Tesla should add a hatchback, a station wagon and other versions. But they have a few years to do that. The next big hurdle is the Model Y.

I hope the competition comes with some compelling BEV's, will accelerate adoption and the competition will be good for everyone. That being said, I don't know anyone who wants and EV other than a Tesla. Tesla is the aspirational company Apple once were, a halo brand.

I'm seeing the same as you now after another browser refresh. Must have been a short term glitch in the matrix.
Very odd, was showing over 3K/wk yesterday and this morning and now it showing just shy of 3k. It also showed 4k/wk future projection but that has changed as well. Funny, bc this weekend I was speaking with another Tesla buddy and said I bet it was killing Bloomberg to see the graph over 3K and he said "don't worry, they will change their algorithms to lower this numbers". Appears he was correct!

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and SteveG3
Very odd, was showing over 3K/wk yesterday and this morning and now it showing just shy of 3k. It also showed 4k/wk future projection but that has changed as well. Funny, bc this weekend I was speaking with another Tesla buddy and said I bet it was killing Bloomberg to see the graph over 3K and he said "don't worry, they will change their algorithms to lower this numbers". Appears he was correct!
They explained in Bloomberg's update from today, basically it was jumping around a lot recently due to some VINs reported in Apr being 4000 higher than previous VINs.

The revisions are almost entirely due to new VINs being reported to Bloomberg (Method 2). In early April those numbers jumped by almost 4,000 VINs in a single week, producing a noticeable gap in the dataset. It's not clear what caused the jump, whether Tesla for some reason temporarily skipped over a chunk of VINs or if it was just an artifact of how new customers reported their vehicles to Bloomberg during the surge. Regardless, that portion of our model responded as if a major new surge was underway.

But our model is built to continually adjust its estimates as we receive new data, and the most recent VINs reported to Bloomberg initiated such a correction. Those numbers should continue to revise downward until they reach Tesla's new equilibirum, wherever that may be.

The biggest single-day revisions in our estimates occur when Tesla registers new batches of VINs with safety regulators.

People will adapt to charging. It requires some additional infrastructure and a slightly different mindset, but this is a change that can go quite quickly.

Now, some would say Norway is a strange country where nothing makes sense, but really, we aren't that different.
Agreed, people can and will adapt. There is some pretty interesting stuff happening with companies trying to refit street lamps for charging or Telekom in Germany experimenting with thousands of junction boxes to provide some urban charging capabilities for street parking. I'm probably just less optimistic about the pace of that change. Usually infrastructure development is awfully slow.

I wouldn't say Norway is strange. But after glancing at norwegian incentives and population distribution again, i'm willing to go with "special". :-D

If Tesla sold five different versions of the Model 3, you're probably correct that the Model 3 sedan wouldn't sell 500k/year. But the lack of the ideal BEV forces people to go for the BEVs that are available. And since there's no meaningful competition out there, Tesla will easily sell everything they can produce.

This is a very compelling and plausible argument, i like it. The only problem i have with it is one of timing. If the average lifetime cycle of a car model is 6-8 years, Tesla would have to sustain something close to 500k Model 3s for at least 5 or 6 years to recoup overall costs (and get there as soon as possible). That would be around 2025 or so? Just in case they do what they announced this time, VW Group will be building 2-3 million EVs by then (about 500k or so by 2021). I'm fully aware that a VW will not be as fancy as a Tesla, but overall competition will probably reduce Teslas pricing power and pressure margins by 2021. This will probably be seen as heresy over here, i'm sorry. :)

Anyway ... time for dinner.

Greetings to your fellow countrymen and thanks for the salmon!

Status
Not open for further replies.