Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this proactive approach. Tesla should hit back against fake news, nip them in the buds.

Yes. Blog is very strong and detailed. That said, without someone from Tesla following up with live interviews on the financial networks, the blog is very very likely to be undercovered and/or miscovered into FUD.

If this is a question on the Rosen lawsuit, it is a federal case and the plaintiffs have demanded jury trial.

The reference was likely to Walter Huang's family's wrongful death suit. The big difference between the potential Huang litigation (no filing yet publicized) and the stockholder derivative class actions in Delaware (SCTY conflict of interest) and California (Rosen) is that Tesla discloses it "self-insures" its product liability exposures but very likely carries Directors' and Officers' (D&O) Liability Insurance covering the latter two actions. A significant benefit of having true 3rd party coverage on liability exposures is that, under most liability policy forms, the insurer has to pay the costs of defense, which changes the analysis about when/if a settlement is economic/advisable.

"What I am not so sure of is that the US court (possibly State court?) that hears the case will have the matter decided by a judge. In the US, there is likely to be a jury (as I understand) and juries have a degree of latitude to "do justice as they see it". My concern is that, even with a direction to the jury about the applicable legal tests, the jury might rule in favour of the pursuer of the action at least partly out of sympathy with the family or a desire to punish Tesla for releasing beta safety tech."

A cynic might assert the US' jury system is more about the quality of the respective legal teams than fairness, viz. the OJ acquittal. Admittedly, there is a higher standard of evidentiary proof in criminal courts compared to civil courts, but check out toxic tort and pharmaceutical litigation awards.

Agreed, people can and will adapt. There is some pretty interesting stuff happening with companies trying to refit street lamps for charging or Telekom in Germany experimenting with thousands of junction boxes to provide some urban charging capabilities for street parking. I'm probably just less optimistic about the pace of that change. Usually infrastructure development is awfully slow.
Even disregarding urban charging solutions, there is a large segment of the population that is addressable today. I can see around 41% of the German population live in semi-detached or detached houses. And I would think that car ownership is significantly over-represented among people living in houses vs people living in apartments. That means that it's probably at least 50% of the car buying public that can install charging at home without much fuss. On top of that, you have some significant percentage of apartment complexes with assigned parking and suitability for charging.

You may think this will happen slow, but change doesn't happen slow when it's every consumer out there making the choice for themselves. A charge point doesn't cost much more than €1000-2000, and adds to the long term value of a property. Apartment dwellers here in Norway have found that charging is important, because losing a single additional interested party at a sale can amount to major losses.

I wouldn't say Norway is strange. But after glancing at norwegian incentives and population distribution again, i'm willing to go with "special". :-D
We do have incentives. But incentives lose their importance as you reach the tipping point where BEVs are superior to ICE vehicles at a given price point. We were there with ~100k USD vehicles 5 years ago. And here we are again, with the Model 3 and 40-60k USD vehicles.

This is a very compelling and plausible argument, i like it. The only problem i have with it is one of timing. If the average lifetime cycle of a car model is 6-8 years, Tesla would have to sustain something close to 500k Model 3s for at least 5 or 6 years to recoup overall costs (and get there as soon as possible). That would be around 2025 or so? Just in case they do what they announced this time, VW Group will be building 2-3 million EVs by then (about 500k or so by 2021). I'm fully aware that a VW will not be as fancy as a Tesla, but overall competition will probably reduce Teslas pricing power and pressure margins by 2021. This will probably be seen as heresy over here, i'm sorry.
I don't see how a VW ID will compete at all with a Model 3. And that's if it actually becomes a reality. In volume. I will put more stock in VAG as a competitor when they start talking about the all new A4 that will only be sold as a BEV.

Also, remember there's about 82 million light vehicles sold per year. VW may be the traditional auto maker with the most real plans for BEVs, but even if Tesla sells 1 million BEVs and VAG sells 2 million BEVs in 2025, that's still not really putting a scratch in the demand. Other car makers could sell 79 million BEVs and the market still wouldn't be crowded.

(BTW, sorry if any part of my writing isn't legible. I had minor surgery on thursday and I'm high on oxycodone. But I think I'm doing okay.)

Last edited:
It seems like this article from our good friend at CNBC - Lora Kolodny - it's behind some of the dip. Its basically some hearsay that Tesla's math on injuries a few years ago, was suspect.
Tesla under-counted worker injuries for a better safety record, report alleges

The volume of FUD that lady can come up with, and that she's permitted such a large megaphone by CNBC, continue to amaze me.

In one of Kolodny's several Twitter threads regarding this subject today, I posted a link to Tesla's rebuttal blog without adding comments of my own.

Link to Tesla's rebuttal blog: A Not So Revealing Story

In response, Kolodny has blocked me from reading or replying to her tweets.

In one of Kolodny's several Twitter threads regarding this subject today, I posted a link to Tesla's rebuttal blog without adding comments of my own.

Curt thanks for informing us about this. Please consider sharing this information with IR at Tesla as well.

Seems like you hit a nerve.

renz.JPG

You're welcome, Steve. I just now wrote Tesla IR as you suggested.

very good Curt.

perhaps more of us could send similar notes to IR re what you shared. I’ll further suggest that we express our concern re the broader phenomena this example represents, and share our constructive suggestions for Tesla to respond.

fwiw, my main suggestion on Tesla constructively responding to the general FUD situation (only having grown and become more emboldened over the past couple of years) is in post #2 here

Investor CONSTRUCTIVE Suggestions and/or Requests of Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.