Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best choice is East Europe ( Poland, Lithuania). Cheap but very hard working labor ( half compare to western Europe), 42 - 48 h week, flexy or none unions, the cheapest logistics in Europe, superb roads, has good access to the sea ports. Close to main markets: scandiniavia + good access to one of the biggest future markets ( Russia).
Russia isn't that important. GDP is really low, and they're only 144 million people, compared to the EU that's 511 million. That said, Eastern Europe may be a good choice.

Eindhoven was a factory town. Philips main factory so have quite a few skilled labour. However that is in decline and the industral section has a lot of vacancies. It also has a lively downtwon core that most tech workers will enjoy. Unlike other factory towns that are just down right dystopian.

On top of that, the dutch have a somewhat large engineering workforce.

Of course eastern europe will be cheaper, but I haven't been to any town in eastern Europe where the conditions are perfect or resonate with me as a place I'd like to stay and work at.

The surprising twist is that london to eindhoven cost only £25. Cheaper than land transport. Not sure if it is still in effect. Like all factory towns, it is also well connected by rail. Large roads with rarely any traffic and bicycle highways typical of any dutch city.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine that Spain might be a suitable location - they think so:

Spain launches a campaign to attract Tesla’s first European EV factory

Lots of experience making cars..

Yes but in Norway wages and union power is very high.

At the same time, California isn't the cheapest place either, so ....

Tesla had a deal to make Model S in New Mexico before they got a free factory in California, one of the largest in the world.

Second time they had a choice Tesla picked Northern Nevada.

Taxes and regulations have gone up quite a bit in the last 8 years.

Elon has said they might not pick California if they had to do it all over again.

Yes but in Norway wages and union power is very high.

At the same time, California isn't the cheapest place either, so ....
Yeah. Norway wouldn't be the worst choice. I suspect the satellite factories will mostly be automated lines with minimal unskilled labour, so wages won't really matter that much. Skilled labour is expensive everywhere.

The unions aren't really too bad either. I've been a member of NITO for a decade, and there hasn't been a strike yet. Unions here are for the most part reasonable and try to cooperate with the industries for a mutually beneficial outcome.

The thing that makes Norway a less than ideal location is that we aren't a member of EU, and our currency isn't the Euro. I'm unsure just how much that matters, but I do think it matters.

Yeah. Norway wouldn't be the worst choice. I suspect the satellite factories will mostly be automated lines with minimal unskilled labour, so wages won't really matter that much. Skilled labour is expensive everywhere.

The unions aren't really too bad either. I've been a member of NITO for a decade, and there hasn't been a strike yet. Unions here are for the most part reasonable and try to cooperate with the industries for a mutually beneficial outcome.

The thing that makes Norway a less than ideal location is that we aren't a member of EU, and our currency isn't the Euro. I'm unsure just how much that matters, but I do think it matters.
Yes a fairly heavely automated factory would work as labour is generally well skilled and good engineers are probably cheaper in Norway than in California. Unskilled labour is expensive though so you need lots of automation.
As Yggdrasill says our unions are strong but generally very reasonable.
Easy access to green electricity and very supportive of EVs not to mention strong engineering clusters several different places. The NOK and not the Euro might be an issue and sitting at the top of Europe no can claim it's centrally located in Europe. But our ports are fairly good.

So not the worst choice by any means, though maybe not the best either.

Cobos

Reactions: neroden
I can't remember the last time I saw TSLA trade within a little over 6 points 3 days in a row. It's strange price action. I'm not sure what to make of it but it sure seems odd. Today should be a low volume day going into the holiday weekend.
I captured a screen shot earlier today. Vaguely reminded me from long ago of bad hifi amplier response to step wave function. Might imply instability?

TSLA   277.9113 0.0613  0.02  .png

Yes, but the relevance is today's settlement announcement and whether it opens the door to new suits from similarly situated plaintiffs.

Ah, what's old is news again.
Settlement was announced May 1st, although the acceptance by the class is new.
Original news
Tesla agrees to partially reimburse people who bought Autopilot 2.0 in $5 million settlement of class action lawsuit

Today's article:
The settlement, which was filed at San Jose federal court late Thursday, doesn't cover any claims about the safety of Autopilot -- instead, it's compensation for the fact that Telsa has gone through a number of delays in rolling out updates to Autopilot to address these issues.
If it follows standard practice, it won't actually include a finding of fault, just a class and payout schedule. A limited pool of people who were previously affected and no basis to support further claims.

Where would I put the European factory? Personally? Norway. Call it a thankyou for high EV sales. Tons of renewable energy. Ports. Good location. No question about skills.

Alternatively, for centrality, Austria.

Yah, sure, you betcha! Cheap energy too, if I remember right, a lot of hydroelectric. Norway loves Tesla, would be great to pay it back (if it makes cents).

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Status
Not open for further replies.