Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COGS I believe, add $6,330 in operating costs at 500,000 M3 plus 100,000 S/X, That assume no increase from 2017 which off course can't be the case with interest expense ballooning.

So that gets you about break-even assuming those volumes can be met. In other words he just told everyone even at 10,000 units a week probably can't make any net profit on a $35,000 car.

I want to make sure I understand you. Are you saying that you think Elon just confirmed to the world that Tesla won’t make money on the Model 3 at 10,000 units a week?

Lol, don't fall for it. Sunbird is saying she would go long after Tesla emerges from bankwuptcy.
He, for the record. And it might be a recapitalization rather than a bankruptcy.

But the point I was trying to make is that my objection is not to Tesla or to Musk in principle but rather (principally) to the valuation.

Does anyone remember if Tesla discloses big announcements at the annual share holder meeting that could make the SP climb before Q2 ER? I'm thinking specifically about China factory news and possible Chinese funding.

There were quite a few times where this board hyped the annual shareholder meeting up and thought that there would be some kind of reveal.

Sadly, all Tesla annual shareholder meetings so far had been boring in terms of its effects on the stock price.

Let's see. The Model 3 LR costs say $28000, and battery pack cost is at $100/kWh. So back out about $2500 for the battery differential, and the cost of the Model 3 SR is at $25,500. So the is $9500 gross profit on the base configuration at $35,000, a margin of 27%.

This seems right on target. Execution is the key.
Your numbers seem to be substantially confirmed by this section:

For one of those differences, the difference in battery capacity, the changes are straightforward. The battery is nearly the same except the larger one will have more/larger battery modules, nearly all of whose cost is in the additional battery cells contained within. We can thus ballpark the additional margin here with good accuracy. For instance, if we think Tesla gets the battery cells at $120/kWh, then the additional 25kWh will carry an additional $3,000 in cost, and yield an additional $6,000 in gross margin. The truth won’t be far from this. 10%-20% above or below at most (on cost), so $5,400-$6,600 in additional gross margin, if we want to use a range.

of this article:

Elon Musk Told Us Where He Expects Model 3 Margins To Come From - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Reactions: jhm and LordAstinus
Ka-ching!

upload_2018-6-1_10-16-17.png

Yep. So far none of the other big financial publications seem to be covering the story.

I would assume an analysis by independent German engineers hired by a competitor that concludes the Model 3 will be profitable (bigly) would be Big News given all the bankwuptcy/Tesla burning cash stories in the press lately .....

The report from Wirtschaftswoche appeared in more than 10 media in Germany including large ones like Handelsblatt and Manager Managzin. So, there is a strong coverage here about the Model 3 tear down, costs analysis and profitability. All of this news are usually very negative about Tesla but this time the tone is clearly different.

Beside Electrec and Teslarati reporting yesterday I found some other smaller ones picking it up in NA. Still waiting for Bloomberg and CNBC.

I vision them sitting all in a conference room arguing today how they can spin the message in a negative way..... ;-)

Last edited:
The report from Wirtschaftswoche appeared in more than 10 media in Germany including large ones like Handelsblatt and Manager Managzin. So, there is a strong coverage here about the Model 3 tear down, costs analysis and profitability. All of this news are usually very negative about Tesla but this time the tone is clearly different.

Beside Electrec and Teslarati reporting yesterday I found some other smaller ones picking it up in NA. Still waiting for Bloomberg and CNBC.

I vision them sitting all in a conference room arguing today how they can spin the message in a negative way..... ;-)
I'm sure they'll come up with something...they always do.

Dan

Still crickets on the US financial press except thestreet.com. Google search shows German publications, EV publications, BGR, Medium and a few other outlets re-running the BGR story. That's it.

Given the non-stop "cash burn" hype how can this not be news? Amazing.

Sensationalize negative news
Spin negative when possible
Ignore positive news

#pravduh

Let's see. The Model 3 LR costs say $28000, and battery pack cost is at $100/kWh. So back out about $2500 for the battery differential, and the cost of the Model 3 SR is at $25,500. So the is $9500 gross profit on the base configuration at $35,000, a margin of 27%.

I believe you need to add D&A on tooling and buildings to get to gross margin. My German is not what it should be but I understood the 28k number to be raw material (18k) and production (10k) costs.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

Still crickets on the US financial press except thestreet.com. Google search shows German publications, EV publications, BGR, Medium and a few other outlets re-running the BGR story. That's it.

Given the non-stop "cash burn" hype how can this not be news? Amazing.

Sensationalize negative news
Spin negative when possible
Ignore positive news

#pravduh

Make no mistake: this is the most important data point to come out in recent years for TSLA valuation.

ValueAnalyst on Twitter
ValueAnalyst on Twitter

I believe you need to add D&A on tooling and buildings to get to gross margin. My German is not what it should be but I understood the 28k number to be raw material (18k) and production (10k) costs.

I am not sure whether the German teardown analysis includes depreciation or not, but in any case according to Deepak on the last conference call, depreciation per vehicle is "well below" $2K at 5K/week (and will be even less at 10K/week).

Rod Avraham Lache, Deutsche Bank AG, Research Division - MD and Senior Analyst [21]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to follow along that line of question. So to the extent that you're adding humans in certain automated processes, can you just help us interpret the extent to which these changes affect the economics on Model 3? And to the extent that you've done some competitive analysis, all of these efforts in the Tesla production system, how do you stack up competitively against other OEMs in terms of labor hours per vehicle or depreciation per vehicle?

[Elon's response omitted]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deepak Ahuja, Tesla, Inc. - CFO [23]

We are very CapEx efficient. Let me just start from that point. And if we look at depreciation costs on a per unit basis at steady run rate of 5,000 or so cars per week, we are, in my mind, well below a lot of our -- I mean, most of our competitors, well below $2,000 per unit depreciation cost. And then overall, clearly, there is some impact, as we have indicated in the letter, from the additional labor we've added but it's temporary, and our expectation fully is a lot of this labor will come out once we stabilize production and then (inaudible) smart ways of automating where it makes sense.

Edited Transcript of TSLA earnings conference call or presentation 2-May-18 9:30pm GMT

Last edited:
I am not sure whether the analysis includes depreciation or not, but in any case according to Deepak on the last conference call, depreciation per vehicle is "well below" $2K at 5K/week (and will be even less at 10K/week).

Rod Avraham Lache, Deutsche Bank AG, Research Division - MD and Senior Analyst [21]

Just wanted to follow along that line of question. So to the extent that you're adding humans in certain automated processes, can you just help us interpret the extent to which these changes affect the economics on Model 3? And to the extent that you've done some competitive analysis, all of these efforts in the Tesla production system, how do you stack up competitively against other OEMs in terms of labor hours per vehicle or depreciation per vehicle?

[Elon's response omitted]

Deepak Ahuja, Tesla, Inc. - CFO [23]

We are very CapEx efficient. Let me just start from that point. And if we look at depreciation costs on a per unit basis at steady run rate of 5,000 or so cars per week, we are, in my mind, well below a lot of our -- I mean, most of our competitors, well below $2,000 per unit depreciation cost. And then overall, clearly, there is some impact, as we have indicated in the letter, from the additional labor we've added but it's temporary, and our expectation fully is a lot of this labor will come out once we stabilize production and then (inaudible) smart ways of automating where it makes sense.

Edited Transcript of TSLA earnings conference call or presentation 2-May-18 9:30pm GMT

I thought about this as well, and I believe depreciation of machinery and tools used directly in Model 3 production have got to be included in the $28,000 figure (specifically in the $10,000 production cost part), while depreciation of indirect real estate not related to Model 3 production (sales, service, delivery centers, corporate office buildings etc) are likely excluded. I suspect Deepak's "well below $2,000 per unit depreciation cost" also includes the former and excludes the latter.

More importantly, however, note that Deepak's $2,000 figure is at the 5,000/wk level, and since we already know that moving production rate to 7,000 to 8,000/wk will not require much additional CapEx, I would estimate it at an even lower $1,200 per unit at full line capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.