Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may also improve finances as well - both in term of revenue recognition and providing incentives for all AP2 owners who only took EAP to upgrade to get new functionality.

Yes. I ordered FSD in my Model 3 (to be delivered early July) but so far the take rate seems to be very low. If the initial FSD release is promising those numbers should jump significantly, along with FSD activations by existing owners.

I've seen many articles about the coming of FSD in mainstream news outlets, but they all omit to mention Tesla, focussing more on Way and the like. I find this highly amusing given that Tesla have a couple of 100k cars actually out there capable of self-driving, but not yet with the software. However, they're learning all the time, feeding back to the mothership. There will be a time when it becomes semi-sentient and then all those cars will be FSD. This will come sometime in the next couple of years when the SP is already nicely multiplied from where it is today and will boost it even further.

Exciting times to be long.

Elon doubling-down on R2 features...

Elon Musk on Twitter

Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 18.14.03.png

Has a passenger facing camer but it is not active and does not appear to be intended for driver alertedness monitoring, rather for watching passengers who rent the vehicle.

Correct. The camera is not in a good position to monitor driver attentiveness. My understanding is that it's a security camera for the Tesla Network.

Reactions: AZRI11 and Alketi
Has a passenger facing camer but it is not active and does not appear to be intended for driver alertedness monitoring, rather for watching passengers who rent the vehicle.
Correct. The camera is not in a good position to monitor driver attentiveness. My understanding is that it's a security camera for the Tesla Network.

Theoretically the camera would only need to monitor eye, unless we’re able to gaze at two different locations like lizards?

No he didn't.
Elon did say "FSD features", IMO it doesn't mean full self driving, but some of the features that are part of the FSD, and beyond the scope of EAP.

Edit: read your follow-up comment, yes agree that the initial Aug v 9.0 may not contain FSD features. Possibly that V9.0 is the platform that they will eventually add FSD features on.

Last edited:
I don't think he did. I see it as they will add FSD features to V9 over time, but not necessarily that any of the FSD features will come with the initial version of V9 in August.

Good catch. He says V9 is coming in August and that they will begin to enable FSD features as part of V9 but doesn't explicitly say FSD features are coming with the initial V9 release in August. Maybe someone will tweet him for clarification.

Cross-Post from the autonomous section

Hi,

found this presentation of Andrej Karpathy (Director of AI at Tesla)

He is describing his Work at Tesla und the challenges.

Building the Software 2.0 Stack by Andrej Karpathy from Tesla

For those like me that give up watching after a few minutes of being completely lost with this presentation, do yourself a favor and skip ahead to around 13:30 into it, that’s where he begins to talk about FSD and how neural networks come into play with image recognition.

Quite fascinating and exciting I must say, it’s the first I’ve seen that shows the pathway to the vision approach to FSD, and gives me more confidence in this approach. But, it also highlights how difficult it is, I didn’t sense the same level of confidence this would succeed from A.K. as when Musk talks about this approach. I must say, I’m impressed with AK, one smart dude!

Mod: do not continue this discussion in this thread. Will be deleted. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those like me that give up watching after a few minutes of being completely lost with this presentation, do yourself a favor and skip ahead to around 13:30 into it, that’s where he begins to talk about FSD and how neural networks come into play with image recognition.

Quite fascinating and exciting I must say, it’s the first I’ve seen that shows the pathway to the vision approach to FSD, and gives me more confidence in this approach. But, it also highlights how difficult it is, I didn’t sense the same level of confidence this would succeed from A.K. as when Musk talks about this approach. I must say, I’m impressed with AK, one smart dude!

If this approach doesn't work, what's the alternative aside from not developing FSD? Lidar doesn't solve the problems he highlighted in the presentation.

Edit to answer my own question; develop the transportation environment so that it is better suited for computers. E.g unambiguous, widely standardized and simpler symbols and markings.

Last edited:
Edit to answer my own question; develop the transportation environment so that it is better suited for computers. E.g unambiguous and simpler symbols and markings.

Agree completely. I've thought about this for a while. If they can make street signs in two languages, why couldn't they put a barcode or QR code on one? Or on a traffic light? A QR code in particular can hold way more info than a typical street sign. Or perhaps change the size and shape of the sign itself depending on what it's intended to convey (eg stop sign v yield sign). This would be beneficial to almost all the cars to be built in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.