Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.....seems like a mixed bag to me.

Good:
- cash balance (3.4B)
- reiterate M3 ramp guidance and margin
- +300% growth in TE for 2018 guidance
- coast to coast drive in 2018 is mentioned

Bad:
- surprisingly low Semi/Roadster deposits
- TE margin is way down (5% from 25%)
- wording on the M3 ramp makes it sound like they are preparing us for another delay
- $4/share loss

Overall, it looks like really strong guidance with underwhelming execution.
I got the same impression about the wording on the M3 ramp guidance. They don't sound real confident about it at this point, which is a bit concerning.

Hmm.....seems like a mixed bag to me.

Good:
- cash balance (3.4B)
- reiterate M3 ramp guidance and margin
- +300% growth in TE for 2018 guidance
- coast to coast drive in 2018 is mentioned

Bad:
- TE margin is way down (5% from 25%)
- wording on the M3 ramp makes it sound like they are preparing us for another delay
- $4/share loss

Overall, it looks like really strong guidance with underwhelming execution.

These two taken together..
- cash balance (3.4B)

Could be more positive as the Semi reservations are going to be something that happens in chunks over the next year or so. Companies are less likely to give Tesla a free loan. It means the current cash on hand is not being propped up much by reservations and there is room for improvement.

In terms of the Roadster, maybe the price was just too high for the reservation, but with the performance numbers, that thing is going to get some love when it starts touring the shows.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I wish there was more certainty in the language than just continuing to target those production rates. It seems they really still don't know quite when they will get there.
I got the same impression about the wording on the M3 ramp guidance. They don't sound real confident about it at this point, which is a bit concerning.

Elon may have learned his lesson after previous overly confident predictions. Keep in mind his recent call for a 50-50 chance of Falcon Heavy success.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see that happening from this ER. The M3 ramp continues to have targets but remains uncertain. I think we will see a lot of volatility in the near term.
Assuming we get confident Elon on the CC I expect modest rise this week then blast off next week. MMs need to kill call premiums for Friday and shorts will hold on for a little bit in disbelief/denial.

If we get Elon pausing for 15 seconds again when asked about when 10,000/week happens or not being able to give any detail while 2,500 and 5,000/week Model 3 are on track still then no blast off IMO. From the letter it seems like they have concrete plans for this stuff now though so I am looking forward to hearing some details.

Cash balance of $3.4B entering Q1 2018
Yep, super important. I think Elon has learned his lesson to stockpile cahs when possible even if not needed at that moment.

If I'm reading this right, net loss for 2017 was a cool 2.2Bn. With 3.4Bn in the bank they should not have a problem in 2018 even if that was repeated... but that's very unlikely if M3 continues to ramp.

Am I reading this right?

Reactions: stef
Yep, super important. I think Elon has learned his lesson to stockpile cahs when possible even if not needed at that moment.

If I'm reading this right, net loss for 2017 was a cool 2.2Bn. With 3.4Bn in the bank they should not have a problem in 2018 even if that was repeated... but that's very unlikely if M3 continues to ramp.

Am I reading this right?

They expect cash burn to be higher in 2018 than 2017

Tesla: The New Atacama Debutante - Chemical & Mining Co. of Chile Inc. (NYSE:SQM) | Seeking Alpha

Tesla (TSLA) is reported to be in exploratory talks with the Nutrien Group (NTR) for the purchase of a 32% stake in Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) worth an estimated $5 billion, according to recent news report in the Financial Times (30 January 2018).

SQM is the world's largest and lowest cost lithium producer.

Might need $3.7B + $1.6B = $5.3B

Tesla: The New Atacama Debutante - Chemical & Mining Co. of Chile Inc. (NYSE:SQM) | Seeking Alpha

Tesla (TSLA) is reported to be in exploratory talks with the Nutrien Group (NTR) for the purchase of a 32% stake in Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) worth an estimated $5 billion, according to recent news report in the Financial Times (30 January 2018).

SQM is the world's largest and lowest cost lithium producer.

Might need $3.7B + $1.6B = $5.3B
If they are part owner, what does that do to their lithium purchase costs? (As an offset to the expense)

"We are expecting a negative Model 3 gross margin in Q1, while generating positive operating cash flows."

I don't think this is a surprise but it's still disappointing gross margins in Q1 will not only be low but negative for the M3. I think that speaks to how low the production rate is up to this point. If they are able to hit the 2,500 rate by the end of March then presumably gross margins will be much much better in Q2 since the ramp growth affect on margins will be mostly realized in Q2. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.