Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what can one do? From my side, I'll keep calling out the BS in Twitter and specifically have now removed the pinned CNBC tab from my browser and deleted the iPhone app (and corresponding Apple Watch app is gone too). A shame as I liked the ticker, will stick with Yahoo from now on.

Boycott needs to be performed by the customer for best effect.
...I hope you are not under the illusion that you and I are the Customer of a news organization. Their advertisers are the customers, paying $$ for access to the product (our eyes and clicks). Sometimes the interviewees are paying for the access to appear on the show.

#PourJimChanosARedBull

selloffs (even minor ones) when the market is ripping have not been super common, feels really bearish

Hey @Reality

what happened to your theory around Tesla doing the 200K delivery in Q2 to "survive" for another 3 months. Forget if it was twitter or some other thread here.

A little bit of accountability helps.

Reactions: hoang51
The author’s email is at the end of the article. I sent her the following:
Sara,
Could you give any depth to the described situation?
Is Red Bull one of the free snacks that are always available to Tesla workers, or only for last week of June? Was anyone asked to drink Red Bull?
What are the circumstances of the raw sewerage? Did a toilet overflow or did a main drain pipe rupture? How large was the area of contamination by sewerage? How long did it take Tesla to have the situation cleaned up?
Not giving this kind of depth seems inappropriate. If you were asked to craft this piece in this shallow manner, it must feel awful as a journalist. Your previous employer, the Boston Globe, would not have requested such a piece. It makes me sad.
Jeoffry

Well, what can one do? From my side, I'll keep calling out the BS in Twitter and specifically have now removed the pinned CNBC tab from my browser and deleted the iPhone app (and corresponding Apple Watch app is gone too). A shame as I liked the ticker, will stick with Yahoo from now on.
yep, CNBC and BI won’t get my views or clicks anymore. we need to get the message to much of elon’s 22mm+ twtr followers.

hit them where they hurt - bottom line
and these “news” organizations will get objective PDQ (pretty damn quick)

i didn’t copy you lycan yesterday when i did the tweet about the cnbc anti elon bias panel

...I hope you are not under the illusion that you and I are the Customer of a news organization. Their advertisers are the customers, paying $$ for access to the product (our eyes and clicks). Sometimes the interviewees are paying for the access to appear on the show.

#PourJimChanosARedBull

All quite true. My career was in TV financial news, although I played it straight. If we click the word contact near the bottom of the CNBC website homepage, we are directed to their support team. In response they call themselves the "customer care team". But they surely know that their true customers are their advertisers. Those are the ones actually served with care.

Meanwhile, Tesla does not advertise while its competitors do so quite heavily. Often news producers will think twice about presenting anything negative about one of their advertisers. Unfortunately some of them not only fail to hesitate, but amplify FUD when a non-advertising company and its CEO are sure to draw clicks or eyeballs.

Of course readers, listeners and viewers are the potential customers of the media outlets' direct customers, their advertisers. But it takes a whale of a lot of complaining or boycotting from us to equal any concerns expressed by a single advertiser.

Last edited:

#PourJimChanosARedBull

i disagree
we are customers indirectly. or if you disagree with that, a better way to put it, is that we can still make impact...
site traffic drops, advertisers (cnbc has had trouble with this in past) drop as well

i.e. a fraction of elon followers outright stop consumption of news from these sites (and channel). the viewership drop will flush out eventually and it will impact ad revs

sounds far fetched? maybe not if you have a herd behind you willing to make a stand.

in no way suggesting em spearhead that....would have to be us

Last edited:
Someone mentioned in the general thread that the price action today suggests the possibility of a leaked analyst downgrade with hedge funds doing some selling today. This does feel different than a typical morning dip. If you are considering adding some trading shares, it might be prudent to wait until tomorrow.

i think it’s combination of the negativenews articles, and because of the portrayal of the credit now phasing out, and the perception that demand will dissolve because of it. i don’t agree, but some people see it that way.

Reactions: wipster and bdy0627
The author’s email is at the end of the article. I sent her the following:
Sara,
Could you give any depth to the described situation?
Is Red Bull one of the free snacks that are always available to Tesla workers, or only for last week of June? Was anyone asked to drink Red Bull?
What are the circumstances of the raw sewerage? Did a toilet overflow or did a main drain pipe rupture? How large was the area of contamination by sewerage? How long did it take Tesla to have the situation cleaned up?
Not giving this kind of depth seems inappropriate. If you were asked to craft this piece in this shallow manner, it must feel awful as a journalist. Your previous employer, the Boston Globe, would not have requested such a piece. It makes me sad.
Jeoffry

tactful, accurate, unfortunately the people you’re dealing with won’t appreciate it. but excellent rebuttal. thanks!

This Business Insider piece, though woefully short on details of the alleged sewerage incident, did report Tesla’s perspective. The article also notes that Tesla attributes previous unrelated allegations to an organization supporting the Union.
There is enough counterbalancing information that readers with a modicum of critical thinking skills would at least be suspicious of the motivation behind the ‘sewerage’ complaint.
Edit: I am not extolling the journalism in this piece, I am only suggesting that our Twitter anti-FUD efforts and Elon’s criticism of journalism may be moving the needle, if only slightly, to include prompts within these articles for the reader to think about motivation.
I also wonder if the bias is entirely from the author, or if the editor is responsible. I recall the writer for the New York Times who wrote an article about Bernie Sanders that she or he felt was balanced to favorable, whereas the editorial staff revised the article to be strongly biased against Sanders.
Again, I am not excusing Business Insider or the author. I am suggesting that there may be more nuanced factors we can address with anti-FUD efforts.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned in the general thread that the price action today suggests the possibility of a leaked analyst downgrade with hedge funds doing some selling today. This does feel different than a typical morning dip. If you are considering adding some trading shares, it might be prudent to wait until tomorrow.

I was under the impression that it was because 10K Model 3 target has shifted from end of this year to next year and been replaced with 7,000 target...

Hey @Reality

what happened to your theory around Tesla doing the 200K delivery in Q2 to "survive" for another 3 months. Forget if it was twitter or some other thread here.

A little bit of accountability helps.

Clearly not the case?

Also it wasnt 'to survive' it was a combination of things and my main point was asking if they did go over, could it be intentional? I prepared a thesis that involved trying to max out sales in Q3 to show a profit so they could raise capital at a better price.

Now that it's known that they didnt pass 200k, it's meaningless. Was probably not a great mental exercise to start with.

In the last 24 hours Tesla registered over 8,000 vins with NHTSA.

Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) on Twitter

Most of them AWD, Trip has no case. Vehicle registration and vin production numbers are made public. His lawyers are going to lose a lot of credibility.

Going to channel my TT007 here:

8000 VINS/day * 7 days / week = 56K M3s produced per week.

Those are big numbers.

Short burn of the century, baby.

I don’t think boycotting CNBC will do anything to change their style of “journalism,” primarily because their viewership is already so tiny:

2017 Business TV Ratings: FBN Is No. 1 in Business Day

They average just 167k viewers, less than 1% of Elon Musk’s Twitter followers, and I doubt there is much overlap between the two groups.

That said, I avoid clicking on articles/videos by CNBC (or Business Insider, for that matter) just because I don’t want to waste my life wading through ridiculous, biased nonsense. I’ll still look for critical takes from other sources, but those two are beyond useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.