Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I’m glad I stayed a novice investor and bought TSLA stock instead of options. As long as I’m patient I can ride things back up. For those who look at the longer term trends, is there much indication that February improves as people get tax returns, etc? Usually that’s a time I back the truck up to buy, having extra powder on hand, is that the case for others as well?

I’m considering the opposite strategy. I may sell most of my TSLA share today and wait to see how the earnings go first. I feel like either way the earnings go, the stock will tank and it’s highly likely that the earnings won’t go as well as expected as usually. Any thoughts on this?
I personally am not going to trade or invest based upon my expectation of the market reaction to the ER. That is notoriously difficult to get right.

I’m considering the opposite strategy. I may sell most of my TSLA share today and wait to see how the earnings go first. I feel like either way the earnings go, the stock will tank and it’s highly likely that the earnings won’t go as well as expected as usually. Any thoughts on this?

Historically earnings have tended to provided greater buying opportunities. Leading up to it, or right after. Personally I try to buy at 310 or lower, and sell at 340-350. leveraged options i.e LEAPs

I would also suggest you read DaveT thread, which discusses when you should buy or sell.

Articles/megaposts by DaveT

• Helpful
Reactions: Richgoogol
There has been a record breaking bull market for the entire life of the TSLA stock. TSLA traders have been constantly rewarded with the "buying the dip" approach. That is not normal. That shouldn't be expected to be normal. And it should be assumed that it will eventually end. Therefor, it should also be assumed that this kind of trained instinct with respect to trading this stock will need to be retrained for a market that trades in a more normal way... with consistent volatility instead of zero. Meaning, if you maintain the same tactics you've been using on TSLA, you will eventually get burned.

@myusername you make some valid points, but having lived my life, my way, I have been burned so many times I look like a crispy critter at sixty-eight. Some of those burns are self inflicted, some are because I tend to be socially unconscious, and some are because I antagonize. My second army battery command I was viewed by many as worse than Darth (sp) Vader; looking back I can only hope I did that which was right as well as what was expected and demanded of me. That soul wound will never heal (damaged the core reactors).

I recently poked fun at the VW monkey diesel testing referring to WWII, and no one picked up on it ~ probably too short and concise. Why is no one the least bit concerned that Germans, Germans of all people are essentially gassing living creatures? Then there is the basic fundamental of why are the German automakers so adamant that they want diesel vehicles vs EVs. Why not punt and change course 100%? Even Toyota is desperately hanging onto their tried and true Prius. The science and math are all there ~ why not change?

I have been let down so many times by the best and the brightest, Tesla is all I have left; and if I am hit by the bus tomorrow, well, it is better than what everyone else is betting on, bar none.

Now, you may prefer my wife’s approach to investment ~ credit union savings and CDs. Trust me when I say I have been burned by my investments made at high tied, taking time for the sea levels to rise so this beached whale could get back in the water. Need I remind you of TSLA flat price flowing the Model X launch?

No, @myusername I am not your average investor, I am not driven by greed, and I am admittedly not always right ~ probably too frequently incorrect for your blood:)

Let's see if I could even log in to buy stocks. Merrill Lynch is giving me errors.

I was unable to login to TD Ameritrade this morning until a moment ago. I've been on telephone hold for 20 minutes waiting to speak to an agent.

EDIT: I finally spoke with an agent. The problem was that their website became overloaded with clients this morning. Responses to margin calls were apparently among the reasons. I should note that their Thinkorswim platform was always working, so orders could have been placed there.

Last edited:
Let's see if I could even log in to buy stocks. Merrill Lynch is giving me errors.
I was unable to login to TD Ameritrade this morning until a moment ago. I've been on telephone hold for 20 minutes waiting to speak to an agent.
Could this time delay to orders be a partial explanation to the erratic up-n-down jitter this AM?
Or many brokers finally got their window open :eek::eek:

I was very confused this morning, Yahoo Finance was showing Tesla up, but my broker was showing it down. I checked, Yahoo claims "NasdaqGS Real Time Price", but the time stamp was 15 minutes old. As the morning progressed it gradually started to catch up. As of now (8:21 PST) it's 6 minutes behind.

I was very confused this morning, Yahoo Finance was showing Tesla up, but my broker was showing it down. I checked, Yahoo claims "NasdaqGS Real Time Price", but the time stamp was 15 minutes old. As the morning progressed it gradually started to catch up. As of now (8:21 PST) it's 6 minutes behind.

That is horrific ggr, I'd recommend switching brokers immediately. If you trade frequently and dont mind poor service IB has the best platform and very competitive rates. I presently use IB and options house (now owned by etrade.) I prefer the commissions and service I receive at options house, but the platform on IB is hard to beat. I know many people that like TOS from TD, however, I believe they front run their customers orders.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I recently poked fun at the VW monkey diesel testing referring to WWII, and no one picked up on it ~ probably too short and concise. Why is no one the least bit concerned that Germans, Germans of all people are essentially gassing living creatures? Then there is the basic fundamental of why are the German automakers so adamant that they want diesel vehicles vs EVs. Why not punt and change course 100%? Even Toyota is desperately hanging onto their tried and true Prius. The science and math are all there ~ why not change?

What I don't get is why people are rightfully upset about the small group of monkeys but absolutely don't care about the more evolved species that breathes it every single day out there on the street, i.e. my kids when walking to school.

IMHO that is the real scandal, and while the german carmakers were the first caught with the defeat devices, I don't think they are the only ones:

Lawsuit Claims GM Used Defeat Devices On Duramax Diesel Trucks And SUVs

and

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row (honda, mitsubishi, mercedes, ...)

This was already known 2015 Wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows

IMHO this should be the wakeup call for the average person to demand emission free vehicles and diesel truck bans in cities.

That is horrific ggr, I'd recommend switching brokers immediately. If you trade frequently and dont mind poor service IB has the best platform and very competitive rates. I presently use IB and options house (now owned by etrade.) I prefer the commissions and service I receive at options house, but the platform on IB is hard to beat. I know many people that like TOS from TD, however, I believe they front run their customers orders.

I think the issue was/is with Yahoo; there was a big, big time lag this morning (and seems to have it still) & with the stocks going everywhere it is quite noticeable. Google Finance did/does not have this lag.

What I don't get is why people are rightfully upset about the small group of monkeys but absolutely don't care about the more evolved species that breathes it every single day out there on the street, i.e. my kids when walking to school.

IMHO that is the real scandal, and while the german carmakers were the first caught with the defeat devices, I don't think they are the only ones:

Lawsuit Claims GM Used Defeat Devices On Duramax Diesel Trucks And SUVs

and

Four more carmakers join diesel emissions row (honda, mitsubishi, mercedes, ...)

This was already known 2015 Wide range of cars emit more pollution in realistic driving tests, data shows

IMHO this should be the wakeup call for the average person to demand emission free vehicles and diesel truck bans in cities.

Yes, thank you for your input. How easy it is to forget the smog I ran in during my cross country days; Hawthorn, CA ~ 1963-1964. Not noticeable so much now here in the northwest ~ except when the Californians burn their vineyards:-(

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Status
Not open for further replies.