Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the mid-eighties I lived in Palo Alto and worked at a TV station in San Jose. During my first drive to work, I found the point of separation between I-101 and I-85 to be quite confusing. I imagine so have many others, including the driver in this case.

I assume this driver tried to suddenly switch lanes during the last moment before reaching that point of separation, which resulted in his car crushing the collapsible protective barrier before hitting the concrete divider and causing his car to spiral a little further down I-101. I suspect that the driver was the one confused while supposedly in control. I can't imagine the autopilot sending the car directly into the road divider.

Accidents like this happen everyday in America. It is only Tesla that gets such scrutiny.

Much like Porsche fires and and massive automotive recalls seem to get little airtime. Yet should Tesla proactively solving a non issue in a small number of vehicles results in press coverage stating that the sky is falling.

Reactions: madodel
This was the exact same situation, and NTSB found bad lane markings at fault. Even if autopilot was on it wasn't the cause of the crash.

San Jose: Fatal Greyhound bus crash blamed on poor road markings

edit: 'An NTSB news release added that Caltrans “did not mark the gore with stripes or chevrons, which are often used to differentiate the gore from the roadway.”'

There were no stripes or chevrons in this case either. Caltrans is in trouble (again), not Tesla.

Last edited:
Nvidia and Tesla have both moved downward today with similar patterns and percentages.

Seeking Alpha 19 minutes ago: Tesla falls after Nvidia suspends self-driving car tests - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

from an article on this (Tech Crunch, not Seeking Alpha), commentary from Nividia

"Ultimately [autonomous vehicles] will be far safer than human drivers, so this important work needs to continue. We are temporarily suspending the testing of our self-driving cars on public roads to learn from the Uber incident. Our global fleet of manually driven data collection vehicles continue to operate."

Nvidia suspends all autonomous vehicle testing

If by "our self-driving cars", and "our global fleet" they include vehicles like Teslas with Nividia equipment inside, the latter, continuing operation, of course, applies... if anything, this is an advantage to Tesla's approach of AP vehicles on the road, collecting data, as part of the pathway to FSD.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Bad marking is one thing, but I blamed partially on Tesla's toxic and extremely hazardous battery. The photos showed the entire half of the car has been blown up. If the driver operated a gasoline car, he might have SURVIVED.

Nearby witnesses said the sound was analogous to a giant bomb explosion.

Tesla has to design their battery more compact and less hazardous

Tesla is just months from a total collapse, says hedge-fund manager

This might explain the accelerator we saw a little while ago

I don't think this article has much impact on the drop today - it is a pretty dumb article quoting someone who clearly has no idea about growth company. However the fact such article being on the top of yahoo finance seems to me that we are probably at a bottom (excluding macro.)

I think the main reason for the recent drop was the fear of bad Q1 M3 ramp number, and the NTSB investigation article added additional fuel. Both of these were short term things so selling at this price because of these are short sighted. Long term tsla is on track to grow 50+% for the next 4-5 years - that is my reason to buy and hold the stock. I am out of dry powder - bought some at 320 and I am 120% leveraged so I will sit tight - one of these days tsla will go up $100 - $200 easily and that could happen next week, next month, next quarter, or next year, but it will happen.

Bad marking is one thing, but I blamed partially on Tesla's toxic and extremely hazardous battery. The photos showed the entire half of the car has been blown up. If the driver operated a gasoline car, he might have SURVIVED.

there are far too many known cases of gasoline cars "exploding," I know of not one case of a Tesla exploding.

The Model X didn't explode. It was ripped apart because the crash barrier in front of the concrete Jersey wall was destroyed from a previous accident, resulting in the Model X directly impacting the concrete Jersey barrier and the front third of the car being ripped to pieces. The fire in a portion of front most battery module started after the driver was removed from the vehicle by a good samaritan. The driver might have survived if the impact barrier or other temporary protective measures (sand barrels) had been in place.

Please stop spreading misinformation in this thread. This is a market action thread, not a crash analysis thread.

My personal interpretation:
  • the market is more negative than end of Dec. There was some short-lived pops at the end of Dec, possibly sign of some FOMO because of pictures, supply rumors, anecdotes/rumors. But now in 2H March there is no life in the stock price.
Today just further confirms my interpretation that the market is completely bearish about TSLA right now. All negative news are causing local dips and positive news show no impact on the PPS. I held my shares I bought around $220s in 2014/2015 into the Feb 2016 dip into $150s. If you want to make $ in TSLA you gotta be able to sit tight through these dips and laugh about it.

The silence of the bulls is ear-shattering...

You missed my WTF scream this morning? Did buy twice today, but how much longer, all the way to the earnings report ?

My morning commute was awesome this morning, I got the new 2018.10.5 update on my model 3 yesterday, and it now handles all the parts that it was weak on before. Also lane switching is now super smooth, maybe too smooth for me :) It even followed the GPS directions onto the exit lane and exited without me having to take over until the stop light on the bottom.

Also read on twitter Yes, you can upgrade hardware, although we also wrote software to accelerate rendering on old MCU. Coming out soon & makes a big diff. - Elon which is awesome news and again industry leading.

Today just further confirms my interpretation that the market is completely bearish about TSLA right now. All negative news are causing local dips and positive news show no impact on the PPS. I held my shares I bought around $220s in 2014/2015 into the Feb 2016 dip into $150s. If you want to make $ in TSLA you gotta be able to sit tight through these dips and laugh about it.

If you think the stock will tank, why not sell? After this blows up after "earnings", you can get in cheap.

• Funny
Reactions: landis

Welcome to the ignore list, you'll be in the company of equally thoughtful contributors.

All the noise aside about Auto pilot safety, is anyone has try to analyze Model S &X production ?, I am looking at TMC spreadsheet for VIN assignment , difference in VIN numbers at beginning of Jan and now looks very promising , I am coming out with 28000,even if Tesla deliver 24K Model S And X, and 10 K Model 3, Tesla will meet Quarterly Guidence

If you think the stock will tank, why not sell? After this blows up after "earnings", you can get in cheap.
On my taxable account I have too much capital gain already accrued from all the buying and holding I've been doing, I don't want to sell and trigger taxes until I have to, not worth the $5-10 local fluctuation I may or may not catch.

In my IRA account I don't have margin, so I have to wait a few days between selling and re-buying for the funds to settle. I don't want to time the short term movements like this.

I don't have much dry powder left, but every day of this slide I add a few more calls. It really helps keep the blues away to know that I have a chance of profiting later from all the TSLA selling going on now, whether its by manipulators or in fear.

The big picture has simply not changed: Tesla is going to be a major player in the global auto industry in this decade. (and in some other industries, the financial impact of which I can't yet quantify). Tesla has a proven track record of inventing and executing innovative solutions up and down the design, manufacturing and distribution chain.

No guarantees in any horse race, but Tesla looks to me like a thoroughbred in a field of old mares, so that's what I'm wagering on. But it's only my gambling money, because it is a wager.

Not investment advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.