Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still yet to see any evidence of "a paucity of buyers of rear drive long range version". The only logic that I've seen is people suspect this because of the rumor that Tesla is tooling up D. So this is basically circular logic now. Tesla is tooling AWD because they're not selling the RWD because they're tooling AWD... :rolleyes:

People can shove this rumor right back into the box so long as myself and tens of thousands of others like me who want the first production but haven't yet been invited are able to order. It's literally unpossible. They're prepping AWD because as they've always said, they're going to start selling AWD at some point (soonish). That doesn't get ready for production overnight.

BTW, Canada invites in Troy's sheet shows ~50% buying the RWD model instead of deferring. Hardly a sign of "a paucity of buyers"

I know this is just a data point or two, but myself and the two people that I know received their invites are all rushing to get whatever model 3 we can at the moment. Were all in Ontario and the threat of the 14k incentive disappearing is very real.

current-gif.289891

There doesn't appear to be any reason for shorts to cover yet. No fear that this stock is suddenly going up because there just don't seem to be many buyers. Perhaps that attitude will change as we head into close tomorrow. With the new quarter starting next week and possible good news coming out over the weekend regarding model 3 production, it would surprise me if we don't see some covering into the close tomorrow.
It seems to me the turnaround has started. Always an uncertainty, with fits and spurts. But slowly creeping up to 260 (never imagined to use those words!) :rolleyes:

Shorts days so far this week, short day tomorrow -- and then Easter Bunny delivers! ;)

Those who think this price drop is about Uber or the Model X crash are wrong. It's about Moody's pointing out the Tesla will soon be out of cash:

Moody's Thinks Tesla Will Soon Be Out Of Cash - Tokyo Picker | Seeking Alpha
got to love moody's and other credit rating agencies during the subprime meltdow failing to warn investors of the dangers of investing in many of the mortgage-backed securities at the epicenter of the financial crisis, but benefiting by not pointing out deficiencies.

Lets not get fooled into thinking this dip is a macro dip like Feb 2016. The FUD about M3 delivery, bankruptcy, etc are all target at Tesla. Shorts just used the macro to amplify the effect, along with the Uber autonomous accident and Tesla HW101 fatal crash timing. As Tesla approaches M3 mass volume production and financial "escape velocity", I think Tesla opponents know this is one of the last chances they may have to derail Tesla's missions. Their effort will only grow more desperate. Investors need to hold on and let Tesla deliver.

With the recent bout of bad news stories, a surge of good news needs to commence soon, hopefully starting with the production numbers. Any of the following would help move the stock and could read out in the next few weeks: (1) Favorable judgment in one of the anti-Tesla states (Michigan, Missouri, Connecticut, Texas, etc.); (2) NHTSA ends its investigation with no serious findings (Tesla into fire truck incident); (3) Congress extends EV tax credit; (4) Tesla has no need to raise additional cash; (5) a new or existing institution given a strong buy signal to investors.

Reactions: madodel
Just to clarify since we simulposted--Tesla hasn't even invited half of the US first-day line-waiters yet. They're nowhere close to 'taking all new buyers off the street.'

Newsflash: First minute online reservation holder, non-owner, Washington state. Have not received my invite ("April-May" estimate).
I'm too lazy to look, but how many hundreds of thousands did the reservation ticker show at the beginning of the M3 reveal webcast?
: )

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
The notes were only sold " to qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “ Securities Act ”), and outside the United States to non-U.S. persons pursuant to Regulation S under the Securities Act. "

Also, Tesla has been settling the 2018 note early redemptions/warrants and bought PERBIX with shares " exempt from registration provided by Rule 4(a)(2) of the Securities Act."

FINRA is showing the 2019 and 2021 convertible notes trading under par again.

I was expecting Tesla to offer a follow-on common share offering between March 21st when approval of Elon's compensation package was announced and the 1st Quarter delivery 8k in early April. That window is essentially closed.
They have 3.5B cash and going to be bringing in 50,000*60,000=3B revenue in a quarter or two from m3, why do a follow on now?

got to love moody's and other credit rating agencies during the subprime meltdow failing to warn investors of the dangers of investing in many of the mortgage-backed securities at the epicenter of the financial crisis, but benefiting by not pointing out deficiencies.

More we think of it more it looks like Moodys is hit job. Main thing is they could have waited few more days to get the official results and make a statement accordingly. Moodys should not work like analysts with assumptions, but with facts

Lets not get fooled into thinking this dip is a macro dip like Feb 2016. The FUD about M3 delivery, bankruptcy, etc are all target at Tesla. Shorts just used the macro to amplify the effect, along with the Uber autonomous accident and Tesla HW101 fatal crash timing. As Tesla approaches M3 mass volume production and financial "escape velocity", I think Tesla opponents know this is one of the last chances they may have to derail Tesla's missions. Their effort will only grow more desperate. Investors need to hold on and let Tesla deliver.

The desperation they are fighting with can certainly be felt, it’s a smart move on their part. Bravo to them for taking control of this conversation. As a veteran long-term investor, I can say I expected a dip (based on the missed projected ramp), but I certainly did not foresee such a massive one based on such uneventful storylines within the press (what else can we expect from them—Tesla doesn’t use their advertising channels..).

The amount of doom and gloom reports that have been trending is almost comical (who trusts Moody’s anymore? Since they were one of the orchestrators of the last recession). Consider this dip a gift if you have money sitting on the sidelines, all my dry powder will certainly be deployed after numbers are released, that is when the market will start to understand the bigger picture.

Overall Tesla remains healthy, steadily making progress towards a ramp that will cement their place in the automotive industry—profitability. All else considered, if Tesla stops expanding today, they will be profitable, but that isn’t their goal. Tesla’s goal is to dominate the EV industry much in the way that the iPhone has... you can tell by the endless software updates and engineering breakthroughs from batteries to AP, navigation, maps, TE, solar, Semi, Roadster, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, Greece engineering plant, etc. These are all signs of a healthy growing company (they’ve even had 2 acquisitions in robotics lately—think Grohman...). It’s when you stop seeing these advances that will generally be signs of a contracting company (think Fisker, all talk but no walk).

For those who are worried due to the recent misses in production, Tesla’s comment on profitability has been quite consistent—5,000/ week will get them there. They are, theoretically one quarter away from that. Their balance sheets are getting better by the Q due to the M3 ramp, not worse, albeit slower than we’d like. Like most of you, I am waiting for April 1st-4th as a re-entry point. At that point I would expect a lot of the Fudsters arguements to be less effective as a ramp of 1,500-2,000 will be about 2-3x better than last Q. If they can replicate this for next Q, they will be at 3,000-4,500 (give or take 2 weeks) for Q2 production. This is where the bear arguments will start to show signs of fallacy, a steady clip of 5,000 M3 units in Q3 will likely shoot us to the moon as it’ll guarantees Tesla’s survival.

Lastly, Tesla has over $3 billion in cash, even if they burn through $500m-$1b the next 2 Q they’ll have plenty of reserves left (which is why Deepak/Elon has stated “Zero” capital raise needed). What they’ll need the capital raise for is further expansion into China for another GF.. make no mistake about it, they’re waiting for the best timing to get the best bang, that time is when they turn a profit somewhere in Q3. Profits are coming whether the shorts spread FUD or not. Make no mistake about it, shorts! Elon is coming for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.