Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be good timing. Finish Q1 strong on production and make line changes for next step from 2000+ on way to 5000 a week. The February 20-24 downtime seemed critical to get on path to 2000, which seems like what they’ve been doing the last two weeks. If they can get past 3000 a week in April this will be good news.
I’m also sure there’s been overtime in March and the line guys can use a break.

They were supposed to be getting the Grohmann line this month and preparing for installation. Hopefully the work will proceed quickly in Q2. Significant periods of downtime over the course of the quarter seem inevitable.

it's not exponential, it's not linear ramp, it stopped last few days
VIN assignments:
View attachment 289944

Thanks. What do you make of this data?

I'd love to know what level of production they can sustain and gradually increase, as opposed to one-time burst speed. I'm afraid the only reliable way to get this info is to wait till the end of Q2 and see how many cars were delivered/produced - neither Bloomberg's model nor Elon's anecdotes seem to give an accurate picture of current production. Does your research give any additional clues on the sustainable rate?

They were supposed to be getting the Grohmann line this month and preparing for installation. Hopefully the work will proceed quickly in Q2. Significant periods of downtime over the course of the quarter seem inevitable.
The Grohmann line is for Gigafactory, should not cause a Fremont car production line shutdown. Also the Grohmann line is planned to be installed in parallel to 3 other existing semi-auto battery module lines, so may not require shutdown of those lines either.

The Grohmann line is for Gigafactory, should not cause a Fremont car production line shutdown. Also the Grohmann line is planned to be installed in parallel to 3 other existing semi-auto battery module lines, so may not require shutdown of those lines either.

There was no context given as to which line was being discussed; I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) Gigafactory rather than Fremont.

Given that the Grohmann line is to replace zones 1 and 2 (transporting/placing parts) of pack assembly, I can't imagine how it can be truly "in parallel"; it must interface with zones 3 and 4. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Thanks. What do you make of this data?

I'd love to know what level of production they can sustain and gradually increase, as opposed to one-time burst speed. I'm afraid the only reliable way to get this info is to wait till the end of Q2 and see how many cars were delivered/produced - neither Bloomberg's model nor Elon's anecdotes seem to give an accurate picture of current production. Does your research give any additional clues on the sustainable rate?
I don't know about sustained rate. I think they spent the whole 3 months tweaking the line, so there is no such thing as a sustained rate.

As for few day bursts, I am of two minds:
- More pessimistic view is that they've run at 1200-2000 a week, but on a daily level.
- But looking at VINs in December vs. Q1, makes me consider that they actually crossed 2000, and may have approached 2500 on their best day
I stick with pessimistic view, it's safer with TSLA and it hurts less

There was no context given as to which line was being discussed; I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) Gigafactory rather than Fremont.

Given that the Grohmann line is to replace zones 1 and 2 (transporting/placing parts) of pack assembly, I can't imagine how it can be truly "in parallel"; it must interface with zones 3 and 4. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes we're discussing zone 2 of the battery module line at GGF. My understanding is that there are 4 parallel lines that was the old design and running in semi-auto mode, and one of them will be converted to be the Grohmann line.

From what I've seen in past videos, the interface is likely robotic carts shuttling modules from/to zone 3, so I imagine building a new line (or converting one of the 4 existing lines to Grohmann) in zone 2 should cause minimum disruption to those traffic from the existing 3 lines in zone 2.

Yes we're discussing zone 2 of the battery module line at GGF. My understanding is that there are 4 parallel lines that was the old design and running in semi-auto mode, and one of them will be converted to be the Grohmann line.

From what I've seen in past videos, the interface is likely robotic carts shuttling modules from/to zone 3, so I imagine building a new line (or converting one of the 4 existing lines to Grohmann) in zone 2 should cause minimum disruption to those traffic from the existing 3 lines in zone 2.

To extend on that
My understanding:
The 4 original lines were reprogrammed by Tesla to be somewhat functional. Then they changed a line to a different setup and it was faster than the other 3 (4?) put together. I believe that is the semi-autonomous line style.

Thing I typed for initial response...
Stage 1 and 2 are some form of assembly process (bandoliers?). Current method is partly mechanical partly human (semi-autonomous line). Multiple of these lines are what is getting Tesla to 2.5k/wk. The Grohmann line is fully automatic and will do an additional 2,500/wk. Down the road, another auto line will replace the semi-automatic for cost effectiveness.

The negative sentiment is absolutely incredible. It's just old news being recirculated again and now it's being done in mainstream media.

The only way to reverse the trend or at least cauterize it to stop the bleeding is in next weeks report it tells us what production level was reached for Model 3.

I'm assuming that institutional investors have sold a significant portion of the holdings, in order to avoid further losses, and make their Q1 numbers look decent. Hopefully this means they will buy back in April 2nd.
I'm thinking the same thing. If they want to make outsize gains in Q2, hello TSLA. At this valuation, how can they lose? That is, if they can get past this resurgence of the thesis that TSLA is about to go bankrupt.

Reactions: Lessmog
I could be wrong but if looking at 2Y chart, we went from $250 to $290-$300 area very quickly, it made sense that there was a lot of back and forth happening around $290-300 recently, then when it broke below $290 it went through $270/280 down to $250-260 very quickly. However looking at Q1 2017, there was a lot of back and forth around $250-$260 area, so I think it will take some time to break through this range. Given that the Q1 delivery report is only 2 trading days away, and if it comes out as we expect it should shatter the FUD about M3 ramp and Tesla's financial stability, I'm hopeful that the current range will hold up for few more days of short attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: elasalle
The down movement seems to only apply to TSLA as macro is looking solid with other tech names edging up slowly.
Lets not get fooled into thinking this dip is a macro dip like Feb 2016. The FUD about M3 delivery, bankruptcy, etc are all target at Tesla. Shorts just used the macro to amplify the effect, along with the Uber autonomous accident and Tesla HW101 fatal crash timing. As Tesla approaches M3 mass volume production and financial "escape velocity", I think Tesla opponents know this is one of the last chances they may have to derail Tesla's missions. Their effort will only grow more desperate. Investors need to hold on and let Tesla deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.