Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think you can make any predictions of production rate based on previous quarters.

Each quarter is very different. Has different challenges, different bottlenecks, and different areas that Tesla is focusing on. The ramp is nonlinear.

Way too many variables to say that there’s any kind of pattern more reliable than a random number generator. We wish the answer were different, but I think the reality is that trying to predict how Q2 will go is futile.

No, I don't see how this estimate continues past the 5,000/week target.
I believe they would need capex to go significantly over 5k. Basically a duplication of parts of the line. Some parts will not require duplication as they will run at higher through puts. The nice thing is that going from 5k to 6k to 8k an beyond could be fairly quick and the cap ex would have very little impact because Tesla wouldn't need to pay for any of the equipment until it's certified to be working and since it's a duplicate, it can add to production as soon as it works. So production goes up in concert with the cap ex instead of the cap ex piling up for several quarters while they work through bottlenecks. $1B in capex can be offset in a quarter when it's due so it doesn't impact the balance sheet that much. It could have even smaller impact on the cash flow because the cogs to suppliers is not due right away but the cars will be delivered in weeks to NA customers. Though I would imagine that some might start to head over seas by then. 2000 cars would add $1B in revenues to a full quarter and only about half the cogs would come due by the end of the quarter. If it takes 2 full quarters to get to 9000/w, then the robots would be paid for by the end of that second quarter. Let's say Q1 and Q2 of next year. So equipment could come in at the end of this year with no capex impact until it's half paid for. This would be a very efficient way to operate. Of course the capex for model Y would be hitting at the same time so it's not all rainbows and sunshine. I believed model Y will take a lot from how model 3 is built with the exception of the wiring, which will be that new 48v system and 1/4 the wire as the model 3. This should allow more automation while still leveraging a lot from model 3 lines. No need to start from scratch for everything, only the wiring.

My wife, a kindergarten teacher, asked what one of her students was making....
View attachment 290714
This child knows that Tesla cars are all electric, don't run on gas, and there is a Tesla car floating in space. The future for Tesla is bright. I wonder what car he is going to buy when he grows up?
Look at those panel gaps!

Q1 is going to be another good reminder than the best predictor for quarterly production is taking the claimed exit rate for the previous quarter and assuming that will be the steady rate for the next quarter.
That could be correct but for now the quarterly production numbers are pretty much irrelevant. For now it’s all about the production rate.

A lot of news is covered by Rupert Murdoch, who owns 20th century fox, the Times, The Wall Street Journal, etc. he's also an oil man and has ownership stakes in Genie Oil and Gas Inc., he’s also the chairman of Newscorp. Eventually his entities will be taken down my Musk Enterprise.

I found this on Reddit today, it speaks volumes about what many members here already know about the media.

This is what happens when one company owns dozens of local news stations • r/videos

So since the market closed Thursday, we've had this - Tesla issues a voluntary recall for power-steering bolts in all 123,000 pre-April 2016 Model S vehicles, this - Tesla confirms Autopilot was activated during fatal crash under investigation after reviewing data logs, and myriad articles from even reputable sources like this - Tesla Looked Like the Future. Now Some Ask if It Has One. I'm long Tesla but I wouldn't be surprised if we see SP<200 early in the week, lower if Q1 numbers are below most estimates...

Last edited:
Because it's CASH not revenue that has to increase greatly (you have to reduce the revenue by the cash consumed in producing what is being sold.)

IMO, those who castigate Moody's now as being the pawn of FUDsters may be overlooking the fact that Moody's qualified it's initial B3 rating in early August 2017 with the caveat:

"The rating could be downgraded if there are major production or quality problems for the Model 3, if consumer demand erodes to the degree that the company cannot maintain its 5,000 per week production target through 2018, or if the level of Model 3 reservations supported by $1,000 deposits fall from the current level of 455,000 to below 350,000. A ratio of EBIT/interest approximating 0.5x would also pressure the rating."

At the same time S&P, while maintaining its B- ratings on Tesla's debt, warned:

“We could lower our ratings on Tesla if execution issues related to the Model 3 launch later this year or the ongoing expansion of its Models S and X production lead to significant cost overruns,” S&P said in a statement on the bonds."

When these evaluations were made, Tesla's guidance was the it would be producing 5,000 M3s a week by the end of December and Elon had just stated in the 2Q17 earnings conference call:

“What people should absolutely have zero concern about, and I mean 0, is that Tesla will achieve a 10,000 unit production week by the end of next year. […] I think people should really not have any concerns that we won’t reach that outcome from a production rate.”
The credit rating agencies were vilified after the 2008 financial crisis for having conflicts of interest and being too lenient in rating the flaky debt products that were being floated as a result of the Community Reinvestment Act amendments. One would presume they would be a little gun shy, but Moody's exhibited forebearance when Tesla's guidance was pushed back twice, by a quarter each time--once in November 2017 when the 3Q17 results were announced and again in February 2018 when the 4Q17 results were announced. Whether the Bloomberg tracker is precisely accurate or not, Moody's decided it could not wait until guidance was pushed back again.

Credit ratings rise and fall based on risk assessments and execution consistent with plans. Conservative managers of other people’s money tend to go to the side lines when they fall. The high beta players could care less.

Yes that's all interesting, and cash is king, but really it's cashflow that is king not necessarily cash balance. But back to the original question why raise cash now? If you assume that at some point in the next six or nine months model 3 production hits its stride, Tesla likely will have greatly increased revenue/cashflow/cash. It's possible (I would say likely) that by the end of the year Tesla will be making lots of m3, posted a profitable quarter, had it's credit ratings improved, and the stock would likely follow suit. So bearing that in mind and they have quite a lot of cash already, it seems like the smart thing to do is wait to raise cash until the aforementioned has transpired and they can do it on very favorable terms. And if you do the math I'm not sure they will even need to raise cash anymore unless they start doing multiple gigafactories at a time. For example in 2019, if they sell 300,000 m3 *$50,000=15B*.2(20% margin)=3B. And while that math assumes they finally
get m3 production nailed down, it's actually fairly conservative since the world market for m3 is likely 4-500k per year (bmw 3 series sales) ,they plan for it to be at 25% margin IIRC, and avg sales price could easily be higher than 50k. If you factor 500k @ 50k and 25% margin that's 6.25 B.

So since the market closed Thursday, we've had this - Tesla issues a voluntary recall for power-steering bolts in all 123,000 pre-April 2016 Model S vehicles, this - Tesla confirms Autopilot was activated during fatal crash under investigation after reviewing data logs, and myriad articles from even reputable sources like this - Tesla Looked Like the Future. Now Some Ask if It Has One. I'm long Tesla but I wouldn't be surprised if we see SP<200 early in the week, lower if Q1 numbers are below most estimates...
I share SarahsDad's concerns. The table is set for a very bad week. But it could be a trading opportunity.

Yes that's all interesting, and cash is king, but really it's cashflow that is king not necessarily cash balance. But back to the original question why raise cash now? If you assume that at some point in the next six or nine months model 3 production hits its stride, Tesla likely will have greatly increased revenue/cashflow/cash. It's possible (I would say likely) that by the end of the year Tesla will be making lots of m3, posted a profitable quarter, had it's credit ratings improved, and the stock would likely follow suit. So bearing that in mind and they have quite a lot of cash already, it seems like the smart thing to do is wait to raise cash until the aforementioned has transpired and they can do it on very favorable terms. And if you do the math I'm not sure they will even need to raise cash anymore unless they start doing multiple gigafactories at a time. For example in 2019, if they sell 300,000 m3 *$50,000=15B*.2(20% margin)=3B. And while that math assumes they finally
get m3 production nailed down, it's actually fairly conservative since the world market for m3 is likely 4-500k per year (bmw 3 series sales) ,they plan for it to be at 25% margin IIRC, and avg sales price could easily be higher than 50k. If you factor 500k @ 50k and 25% margin that's 6.25 B.

They don’t have to raise cash, but it would be cutting it close. The prudent thing to do is ask for $500M if they are confident. Then ramp up, ask for more for GF 3-5 once M3 is at 7,000-10,000/ week.

Reactions: tander
Fatal Tesla Crash Raises New Questions About Autopilot System

Another attack by the so-called paper of record.

Best part is towards the end when it casts doubt on the entire technology by pointing out the lack of Lidar which competitors insist is crucial for any safe autonomous system. Then it details accidents that occurred on Tesla autopilot...without making mention of the pedestrian just mowed down in AZ by a lidar system.

Can’t make this stuff up.

Fatal Tesla Crash Raises New Questions About Autopilot System

Another attack by the so-called paper of record.

Best part is towards the end when it casts doubt on the entire technology by pointing out the lack of Lidar which competitors insist is crucial for any safe autonomous system. Then it details accidents that occurred on Tesla autopilot...without making mention of the pedestrian just mowed down in AZ by a lidar system.

Can’t make this stuff up.

That and AP is specifically not an autonomous driving system at all. It's the opposite. It's a human controller driver assist system that requires no less attention to the upcoming gore point then a car on cruise control. Supposedly, this person complained about this very spot a bunch of times and still refused to pay attention. Obviously Tesla's fault for somehow hypnotically making him ignore the road for long periods of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: dc_h and bdy0627
<s>I heard some dude in a Mazda crashed and died today and his cruise control was engaged before the crash.

Now I have a lot of concerns about the safety of cruise control.

I also heard some 18 year-old kid plowed into a wall while texting his girlfriend and died today. And he was using an iPhone.

Therefore, I think the texting app in all phones should disable when the phone is detected to be in motion.

However, I have no concerns about the drivers who should have been paying attention at these times.</s>

When we as a society (including journalists) look to blame the manufacturer of a system instead of criticizing the improper and negligent operation of that system, we marginalize the responsibility of the operator and do no favors to anyone. It’s why drivers in general suck at driving. We set the bar too low.

<s>BTW, I’m selling all my Mazda and Apple stock tomorrow</s>.

<s>I heard some dude in a Mazda crashed and died today and his cruise control was engaged before the crash.

Now I have a lot of concerns about the safety of cruise control.

I also heard some 18 year-old kid plowed into a wall while texting his girlfriend and died today. And he was using an iPhone.

Therefore, I think the texting app in all phones should disable when the phone is detected to be in motion.

However, I have no concerns about the drivers who should have been paying attention at these times.</s>

When we as a society (including journalists) look to blame the manufacturer of a system instead of criticizing the improper and negligent operation of that system, we marginalize the responsibility of the operator and do no favors to anyone. It’s why drivers in general suck at driving. We set the bar too low.

<s>BTW, I’m selling all my Mazda and Apple stock tomorrow</s>.

It appears Tesla is reluctant to put more controls on the system. It's an expensive option at 8K, people won't pay if the system won't "drive" for them. Any more restrictions, it just becomes adaptive cruise control, available from many, at far less cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.