Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still weird that Elon was tweeting about the stock price before he was about to buy 33k shares.

Perhaps it was an effort to dissuade insider trading accusations in that he tried to pump the stock price before he bought just to look "clean".

for sure. he couldn't have done it the other way round. All in all he wants clearly give investors and employees (who hold options) confidence with both moves.

Last edited:
What exactly did Buffet say? Do you have a quote?
I knew I'd read something today that made me include Buffett on the list, but now that I tracked it down, I'll agree it's somewhat vague. It was this phrase at the end of this WSJ article:

But Mr. Buffett also couldn’t help bringing up the latest Tesla headlines, saying he heard Mr. Musk has to raise some money.

So no, he didn't say Tesla was in trouble, but given Mr Buffett's propensity to understatement, maybe it could be read that way. OTOH, the article doesn't directly quote him, so this as a source for my original statement is pretty weak. I am retracting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggr
I don't think Wnuk was saying that Elon's volume drove the price, but his "message". (I don't think it did either way).

The message was muddled. The proxy shows Elon has vested and un-exercised options for 4.2 million shares with an exercise strike price of $31.17. These transactions were almost 10x more expensive. All of Elon's prior purchases were when TSLA sold additional common shares in follow-on offerings. It's un-clear if the prior purchases (after May, 2011) were to maintain his relative percentage minority ownership position or as an accommodation to the Investment Banks to help them market the issue. Probably a bit of both.

In bear country, there has been speculation that Elon may have to put up additional collateral for his draws against the IBs' banking affiliates' personal credit lines extended to him. Normally, when a CEO buys on the open market it's bullish. Who knows? Either way, I closed out short naked put position until the situation clarifies. As Elon said: "If you can't stand the volatility, get out."

There's no reason to think Musk's purchase is a one day event. He could buy $10M per day for the next month. SpaceX just went way up in value so he has plenty of room to borrow. I don't think there's any big news to announce, he's just confident Model 3 is on track.

You make a great point. He could literally buy up all available shares that have potential to be shorted. Can’t say he didn’t warn you. Would be awesome for us Bulls!

Reactions: sundaymorning
Roko's basilisk is a thought experiment about the potential risks involved in developing artificial intelligence. The premise is that an all-powerful artificial intelligence from the future could retroactively punish those who did not help bring about its existence, including those who merely knew about the possible development of such a being.

Oh snap! Is he dropping an analogy bomb related to his statements regarding pending launch of Tesla's market cap? Those that shorted get hurt bad, those that didn't hold stock are left saddened.

Edit: Then he tweeted a link to this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rococo
So who ever knows...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.