Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, its one of the shorter narratives, when really tesla is about 10 years ahead of everybody else in delivering. Would I have liked my Model 3 more in 2017 than january 2018? Who cares, its epic and awesome and I am thankful! No other car manufacturer has anything remotely close as awesome at the price point. Period.
In 10 years, the only people that might care are US customers who might have bought shares with the extra tax benefit. At net present value, that could be a $30,000 difference.

• Love
Reactions: juanmedina
Very cool open letter to Chanos here: An Open Letter to Jim Chanos about Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA)
We need more of that. I am SO baffled by the negativity and satisfaction some people seem to get if Tesla would fail.

Good grief, Tesla is not overvalued and if truth serum existed I’d bet 50:1 Chanos knows this. He’s too smart too believe even 10% of the rubbish he tosses in Tesla’s direction.

sorry- my nerves sometimes get going when I see long’s concede BS propaganda points to shorts (ie, “yes, technically overvalued” :confused: nonsense! “yes, maybe we are a cult” :confused: nonsense!) as the author of the open letter did.

That letter is easy pickings for Chanos to twist and mock with nearly all the media both having his back and smiling at the chance to hit one of their favorite habits at the same time- lumping “millennials” together and dumping sourness on them.

If I remember correctly, GS predicted *production* of 22,000. All their previous predictions were *production*, anyway. If they suddenly switched for this one, it was suspicious and I see why Musk didn't notice the sleight-of-hand.

Deliveries. Goldman always does DELIVERIES.

Here is the link (for Q2) which Musk referenced in his mail.
Goldman reiterates sell on Tesla and expects Model 3 deliveries to miss estimates

Here is the GS Q1 prediction for DELIVERIES
GOLDMAN SACHS: Tesla may fall 'well short' on its first-quarter deliveries (TSLA) | Markets Insider

Good grief, Tesla is not overvalued and if truth serum existed I’d bet 50:1 Chanos knows this. He’s too smart too believe even 10% of the rubbish he tosses in Tesla’s direction.

sorry- my nerves sometimes get going when I see long’s concede BS propaganda points to shorts (ie, “yes, technically overvalued” :confused: nonsense! “yes, maybe we are a cult” :confused: nonsense!) as the author of the open letter did.

That letter is easy pickings for Chanos to twist and mock with nearly all the media both having his back and smiling at the chance to hit one of their favorite habits at the same time- lumping “millennials” together and dumping sourness on them.

That open letter is funny. In reality, the only thing Chanos is good at is that he knows how to paint himself as an intelligent short. If you study the past carefully, you know he is not good at all. If he is good, show us the audited long term results, and explain all the illegal tactics he used. Truly intelligent people don't do illegal stuff. They win by intelligence. Whitney Tilson's investment career was destroyed by shorting TSLA. Chanos' career will be over after his spectacular failure on TSLA. What about CAT? BABA? China? FairFax? There are so many failures. I don't judge people based on the outcome. I judge based on his reasoning. His reasoning on shorting BABA, CAT, China, FairFax, and especially TSLA shows he really doesn't have a clue what he is doing. I'm not surprised why he got so wrong on so many companies.

A coworker of mine has been bitten by the Tesla bug. After test driving the Model X, he debated whether to go with the Model S or Model 3. Finally today he told me that, without reservation, he has made his order for a P3D. It should arrive in about 4 months.

He told me about his choices and we laughed about how Tesla could add a few colors to the palette. We'd love to see green and brown be offer, but maybe not yellow or orange. Cuz no one needs that.

As I drove home, I spotted a Model 3. It was yellow. It was quite striking. Holy sheet, I'm a bad judge of what customers want.

That open letter is funny. In reality, the only thing Chanos is good at is that he knows how to paint himself as an intelligent short. If you study the past carefully, you know he is not good at all. If he is good, show us the audited long term results, and explain all the illegal tactics he used. Truly intelligent people don't do illegal stuff. They win by intelligence. Whitney Tilson's investment career was destroyed by shorting TSLA. Chanos' career will be over after his spectacular failure on TSLA. What about CAT? BABA? China? FairFax? There are so many failures. I don't judge people based on the outcome. I judge based on his reasoning. His reasoning on shorting BABA, CAT, China, FairFax, and especially TSLA shows he really doesn't have a clue what he is doing. I'm not surprised why he got so wrong on so many companies.

as I said, if we had truth serum, I’d bet 50:1 what he does not believe what he says about Tesla. he’s just working real hard to get some of the rest of us to believe it. this can happen with very high cognitive aptitude but plenty to work on re awareness/maturity (no shortage of people with that combo).

A burglar doesn't have to be brilliant. Crash a door, break a window, see if an alarm goes off. If not, loot the place.

Marvel not if a short seller stumbles upon an easy hit.

He probably got lucky with Enron, and now thinks it was because of his superior analysis skills instead of luck.

Context matters. The author's words were, "Looking at it through your point of view, which is based solely on the technicals, you are right, it is incredibly overvalued."

I think the author did a fine job of poking fun at Chanos as well as get the message across with a modicum of respect. Whether or not Chanos picks it apart is a separate matter, but he won't be able to ignore his huge losses on Alibaba.

The dig at Chanos' incredibly stupid short of Alibaba has to hurt, if Chanos reads it, which he won't. It's true that Alibaba has hinky financials... Chanos thinks they're hiding losses, but he's wrong. (I'm beginning to suspect Alibaba is hiding misappropriation of funds by Jack and Simon, which is a different thing, and doesn't really help a short-seller as long as Alibaba is still wildly profitable.) Sorry about the off topic.

Reactions: 2virgule5
A coworker of mine has been bitten by the Tesla bug. After test driving the Model X, he debated whether to go with the Model S or Model 3. Finally today he told me that, without reservation, he has made his order for a P3D. It should arrive in about 4 months.

He told me about his choices and we laughed about how Tesla could add a few colors to the palette. We'd love to see green and brown be offer, but maybe not yellow or orange. Cuz no one needs that.

As I drove home, I spotted a Model 3. It was yellow. It was quite striking. Holy sheet, I'm a bad judge of what customers want.
Purple, please.

The thing is, I really wish Tesla would offer plain white. It's the easiest color to wrap or overpaint. :)

Reactions: jhm and Lessmog

The lack of color choices is a sore point for me as well. I understand the math behind it and I also know 80% of the cars sold are black, white or some shade of grey. Still I would never buy cars like that. So once I can rationalize to myself putting so much money into a Tesla vs TSLA, I would go for the red.

I am half joking when I say I should wrap one in yellow and become a taxi driver. I could both drive it all day long and justify the investment. Once FSD is enabled I would just let it do the work for me why I sip my ice latte on some beach.

The lack of color choices is a sore point for me as well. I understand the math behind it and I also know 80% of the cars sold are black, white or some shade of grey. Still I would never buy cars like that. So once I can rationalize to myself putting so much money into a Tesla vs TSLA, I would go for the red.

I am half joking when I say I should wrap one in yellow and become a taxi driver. I could both drive it all day long and justify the investment. Once FSD is enabled I would just let it do the work for me why I sip my ice latte on some beach.
Unknown.jpeg
. here you go.

He probably got lucky with Enron, and now thinks it was because of his superior analysis skills instead of luck.
I just watched Galileo's vid and learned a lot in a short time about Mr Chanos. He may have been a big cheese ONCE but it would seem that maturity has made him a victim of his own prejudices, largely with other people's money. I think it was Jeff Cooper who said that men will spend an inordinate amount of time money and effort to win a little tin cup (shooting /golf/ whatever) I think Tesla has become Mr Chanos' "little tin cup" P.s. Sorry for the Jed Clampett homespun philosophy Ref--(Jeff Cooper - Gunsite Ranch Arizona- RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.