Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guessed before I even clicked on the link that it wasn't a mainstream media site. Sure enough - Teslerati. Hmm, wonder why main stream media won't cover something like this for Tesla right now. Maybe because it doesn't fit the narrative about Elon and Tesla they are force feeding the public right now? It's ridiculous.
Yup, you're right. It doesn't fit their narrative. Notice that while it is a Teslaratti article, it was an analyst that toured the factory. Should be fair game for everyone. It just ain't right.

Dan

You know, I originally posted a prediction of $275 for today last night, and deleted it... but we're this far down pre-market, there's nothing I see backstopping this, maybe we WILL hit $275...

yep, elon (and all of us) complain about the smear, but he sure created a lot of uncertainty in the last few “chess” moves, i gotta say.

Any ideas on where the bottom might be?
Given where we are dropping to premarket, this is starting to feel like an exhaustion drop at this point. Drops this hard and this fast do not usually consolidate when they bottom. Fundamentals are continuing to improve, the model 3 ramp is going very strong now. This drop is extremely exaggerated based upon lingering uncertain over the buyout with the narrative completely taken over by the media. Not only have they spun this into the buyout is extremely unlikely, but Tesla is in a leadership crisis. They have an absolute circus going on about Elon, most of which is highly speculative as well. It's all totally irrational. This buyout could be moving along just fine, or not. Even if not, given the model 3 ramp progress at this point, this stock will be climbing over the next 6 months regardless.

One last point, when things have gotten this excruciating on dips in the past, with fear completely taking over, it has proven to be the absolute best time to buy. This time could be different, but I would not bet on that.

That's a straw man argument that misrepresents the claim, the claim was, exactly:

"Arianna, If Ive learned anything these last few years launching Model X,being in Production and now being in Service as Model 3 is landing, is that in order to advance the world to sustainable energy, our behavior isn’t irrational, it’s almost an operational requirement."​

Tesla EVs are an important step to convert energy production and consumption to sustainable sources: a very large chunk of the planet's carbon footprint comes from vehicles burning fossil fuels and from power plants burning coal and natural gas.

Tesla is working on an all-around sustainable solution to that:
  • Tesla solar cell installations to generate electricity for your home,
  • Tesla PowerWall to store your solar energy during the day,
  • A Tesla car to use that electricity
Such a complete, all-around, sustainable solution replaces all carbon polluting sources I mentioned: the gas burning vehicles, the coal and natural gas burning power plants.

Building Tesla cars is key to that strategy of long term sustainability: the high volume of battery cells manufactured for cars helps ramp up the volume for Tesla Energy products that will transform the whole chain to sustainable. Tesla, in their Q2 conference call, estimated that their Energy business division to generate higher revenue in a couple of years than their automotive segment.

The only thing "ludicrous" about Teslas is their launch mode.

I may have misrepresented you, but the general notion seems to be that Tesla cars are "green".

As for solar cell panels, that's good, but not really related to buying Teslas or, for example, giving huge financial incentives to buyers of Teslas. There are many players in the solar industry. One can't hide the unsustainability of big and heavy Tesla cars behind the solar cell operation. Increased use of solar energy has no dependence on Tesla cars.

Cars should be avoided and discouraged as a mode of transport. Rail based public transport should be promoted all around the world. It is especially in the US a big potential for improvement of sustainability if they're able to build more rail based public transport and denser cities.

The car is here in direct opposition to a sustainable built up environment, whether it's a Model 3 (let's not even talk about the grotesque model X) or a guzzling VW, both of which are roughly equally bad for the environment but in different ways.

Promoting the car leads to sprawling and space, time and resource inefficient cities. It's bad in many ways.

Promoting public transport, and - of course - preferably rail based public transport, leads to a denser and more efficient built up environment, and as a bonus, livelier and more pleasant cities.

Given where we are dropping to premarket, this is starting to feel like an exhaustion drop at this point. Drops this hard and this fast do not usually consolidate when they bottom. Fundamentals are continuing to improve, the model 3 ramp is going very strong now. This drop is extremely exaggerated based upon lingering uncertain over the buyout with the narrative completely taken over by the media. Not only have they spun this into the buyout is extremely unlikely, but Tesla is in a leadership crisis. They have an absolute circus going on about Elon, most of which is highly speculative as well. It's all totally irrational. This buyout could be moving along just fine, or not. Even if not, given the model 3 ramp progress at this point, this stock will be climbing over the next 6 months regardless.

One last point, when things have gotten this excruciating on dips in the past, with fear completely taking over, it has proven to be the absolute best time to buy. This time could be different, but I would not bet on that.

I am buying here. I think a lot of recent buyers around the $420 buy out speculation are cutting their losses and/or being stopped out as well which is accelerating the downward SP. I can't believe we were at $350+ a mere 1-2 weeks ago. These current prices look pretty good, imo.

Expected technical lines of resistance/support from the daily chart, centered around the current pre-market price of $288:
  • The $286 line was broken in pre-market on decent volume, so it's probably weaker now, but could act as minor support
  • There's a strong line of resistance at around $273
  • There's not much between the 2018 low of $244 and $273, other than minor technical levels - so $273 might be strong support
On the upside:
  • there's $294 of a February low, minor resistance/support
  • $300 is a psychological level, both up and down,
  • $310 is a usual level for bounce/support, tested a number of times in the past, weaker lately.

I am buying here. I think a lot of recent buyers around the $420 buy out speculation are cutting their losses and/or being stopped out as well which is accelerating the downward SP. I can't believe we were at $350+ a mere 1-2 weeks ago. These current prices look pretty good, imo.

The high was $387. We’re down $100 in 1.5 weeks....This is insane!

people are listening to the news and are scared sh!tless

cnbc and nyt are pumping out propaganda saying everything short of “run for the hills”.

he played into their hands. he messed up. period. disagree all you want, fact is we were fine, and now $100 later it’s the same doom and gloom story all recycled. we have to accept it and move forward.

whoever was on cnbc this morning was questioning demand for 3, profitability, elon getting margin called? (don’t even know wtf that’s all about)
@bdy0627 is right. 3s are pumping better than ever, and we have a whole month+ left of this. the q3 prod/delv report should be positive. q3 earn should be positive.
problem is we have a vacuum of time between now and then, who knows where we’re going...it’s f’ing derailed for the time being.

Last edited:
Cars should be avoided and discouraged as a mode of transport.

That is your (factually incorrect) opinion, which opinion is not shared by a large part of humanity.

Tesla is a high-tech company that does not include mind control and forced re-education technologies.

Anyway, this is highly off topic for the market action thread ...

Expected technical lines of resistance/support from the daily chart, centered around the current pre-market price of $288:
  • The $286 line was broken in pre-market on decent volume, so it's probably weaker now, but could act as minor support
  • There's a strong line of resistance at around $273
  • There's not much between the 2018 low of $244 and $273, other than minor technical levels - so $273 might be strong support
On the upside:
  • there's $294 of a February low, minor resistance/support
  • $300 is a psychological level, both up and down,
  • $310 is a usual level for bounce/support, tested a number of times in the past, weaker lately.
Old breakout was from $287, so that's supportive.

Sure big investors should lap-up shares at this price?

Don’t forget we touched 242 a few weeks ago...

Greetings from Toscana, BTW

Unless of course they are prohibited/hindered from buying on the open market due to being in negotions about part-taking in the go private deal.

Enjoy Tuscany!

This is really surreal. Model 3 production is exciting right now. Tesla looks set to beat 6,000 at the end of the month. There has been no sign of stopping since early July. Yet the stock is under attack. And, if Elon did the conventional thing here, he wouldn't have said anything about privatization at this point and we may have already been approaching $400.

Status
Not open for further replies.