Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3000 Euro? That is approx. 4'000 usd which would value the company at close to 700 billion (like Amazon). No car company ever exceeded 200B, Toyota currently valued at 204B...

Pleasw think again. .
Yeah he's really dumb and should take your advice! He must be as dumb as buying stock from some computer company with a fruit logo in the early 2000's ran by some crazy stubborn CEO who didn't even want to support his own daughter, even though he's a billionaire, who shouted at suppliers stuff like "f*cking d*ckless a$$h*les", firing people on the spot for not meeting his high level of quality! How much can a computer company be worth? Let me quickly check their market cap now ..... oh wait....

You definitely are not alone in having options deeply red from this latest drop.
My shortest-term options play is an October short put with strike of $250 -- I still expect it to expire.
Most of the rest of my options are short puts expiring in January or in 2020, with the highest strike being $320. I still expect them to expire. If they don't, I still make money at any price over *$270*. In *January*.

If I get margin-called in the meantime due to rising implied volatility (which is unlikely, I still seem to have plenty of equity in that account) I can move stock over from another account (I'm a big enough customer I assume they'll give me the couple of days necessary to do the DTC wire).

And don't forget Canada. Does anyone have any numbers for Canada?

Nothing solid, but an article about the law-suit of Tesla vs Ontario (which was won by Tesla forcing the Ontario gov to allow the wind-down period of the EV incentive to include Model 3s) mentioned that the ruling affected about 600 people, so that implies a total of 600 Model 3 sales in Ontario for the 2 months of July + August. No info about the break-down, and also no info abut other provinces.

So InsideEvs is saying approx 17800 Model 3 delivered in Aug, which is about 4450/week. Musk has said many times they need to reach 5000/week to be profitable. Thoughts?

Deliveries (InsideEVs number is US only) lag production (Musk's 5k comment). Additionally, cars are being ordered with higher content (more margin). This should result in good Q3 numbers to support the SP...

Try "Twitter".
Robin
The $TSLA drop at the beginning of the day was in lock-step with the -1.5% drop on NASDAQ, i.e. standard correlation. The high volume spikes looked like long position stop orders cascading.

Rest of the day so far was dip-buying with a fair amount of shorts covering as well I believe: $280 price levels are pretty good to cover at, for those shorts that shorted at around $300 levels sometime during the year and who have no intention to risk holding a short position across the Q3 deliveries and production letter which is only 3.5 weeks away, and the Q3 quarterly report which is 7.5 weeks away.

There was no significant TLSA-specific selling pressure that I've seen so far, price action was mainly macro driven.

I'd hate calling a bottom because the probability of getting the call right is so low statistically, but during most of the day buying pressure was at least equal to selling pressure, despite the very negative macro environment. Absent some negative event it's a pretty good discount if you are bullish about the rest Tesla's financial year.
I was referring not only this day, but the whole drop below 300. I understand, that after privatisation fizzled, price dropped, but I can’t understand what has happened since then.

Disagree all you like, but this could easily be the top story on CNBC by the end of the day.
And why people should worry about what CNBC will talk about? They will talk about Tesla anyway and it will be something ridiculous and negative. Anyway....

Btw these lawyers "with ties to DC regulatory...." are successful lawyers dealing with SEC actions. If Musk hires them now, as Gasparino claims, it would mean that the real SEC investigation has started only now, and not when all these "journalists" claimed. The rest of the stories they chew has the same credibility.
In any case the worst what would happen and that is the case if he didn't start financial preparations before this tweet is him getting a fine of ~200mln. Hardly the end of the world.

Nothing solid, but an article about the law-suit of Tesla vs Ontario (which was won by Tesla forcing the Ontario gov to allow the wind-down period of the EV incentive to include Model 3s) mentioned that the ruling affected about 600 people, so that implies a total of 600 Model 3 sales in Ontario for the 2 months of July + August. No info about the break-down, and also no info abut other provinces.

Confused. As I remember, the Ontario thing only affected people who bought a Tesla before July 11, and received it after that.

Reactions: neroden
I was referring not only this day, but the whole drop below 300. I understand, that after privatisation fizzled, price dropped, but I can’t understand what has happened since then.

The smart shorts have been covering, so we need to look for other "culprits".

Elon vs the trolls/cavers/pedos may be causing some institutional investors to flee the stock, looking for a more predictable CEO. I'll stick to the less predictable, more inspiring CEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.