Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that they have tons of unsold RWD LR cars sitting all over the country. I was at the Charlotte Sales/Service Center yesterday and they must have 200 to 250 M3s sitting on the lot. Granted, some of those are probably sold, but I was told a significant portion (does that mean 10 cars or 150 cars, I don't know) were staged cars. Would it be best at this point to software limit them and sell them as SR? Or have them sit on the lot until a buyer can be found?

Stop it.

"SImply missed their shipment window" to a buyer who placed the order back east? So since they would not be able to get it delivered by 9/30 they canceled the shipment and are selling it locally in CA instead?

For a Tesla employee to even admit that would be insane and should be immediately fired. Thankfully that is not the case. These are cars built as spec units that just have yet to be matched to an existing or new order.

Stop with the slick car salesman pitch and talking like you know anything about how Tesla works.

Do you think this through?

- Batch of 100 cars misses train that can carry 100 cars
- Next batch of 100 cars is produced bound for distance destination
- 200 cars for remote-destination now staged. Next train can only carry 100
- 100 cars make train, 100 still waiting.
- Next batch of 100 cars produced for remote destination
- Etc...

Surely you can see the folly of your statement....
Two points

1) I did not say it is not happening at all. I said you do not admit it; thereby telling customers their sales are not as important as getting a Q3 profit by selling their car sooner if they can.
2) They would not be having to cancel and reschedule deliveries multiple times (which is really p*ssing people off) if the DC personnel scheduled deliveries once the car has arrived and is inspected. Instead, they have personnel in CA or NV doing the scheduling with no clue what is going on in the transport department.

I am reposting this from yesterday. I think checking out Papafox's thread will also be useful for interpreting market action today. The MMD does not appear to be gaining much traction this morning.

As always- TSLA and Tesla are great rides.

I'm thinking Monday and Tuesday are going to be interesting skirmishes on the market battlefield.
The distracting 'culture wars FUD' remains at peak levels but the Q3 expectations are seeping into the mix.
Papafox (love his work) made this observation on his thread:

So I am thinking we will likely see a stepwise increase Monday (when the shorts have less control of the levers) followed by another surge of FUD and downward pressure on Tuesday. The market almost never does what I think it will, but something to think about...

No, there's enough evidence that this is actually happening; some people are getting their deliveries cancelled and a new one built for them simply because their car "missed the train". I know it's pretty weird, but apparently the delivery logistics right now are such that this gets them their car *faster* than trying to get the pre-built car to them. (Yes, this implies some serious delivery logistics problems, I know. I don't think this practice is going to continue for long.)

You don't need a MENSA IQ to understand that opening the production flood-gates might cause logistical issues with deliveries.

Seems good sense to me to operate in this was and although you could argue that Tesla should have foreseen it, kudos for them to reacting quickly and making the best out of the situation.

I disagree it is a bad idea, though it might not be a great idea. If Tesla is Fremont limited, and not GF1 (pack/ cell limited), then the extra 25kWh * $100 = $2.5k ish (cell cost only) profit hit right now (assuming gross margin profitability) may be worth the possibility of a 9k+ upgrade later.
The long term profitability can be much better (depending on upgrade percentage).

It would be interesting to know the upgrade stats on the S 40s. What was the upgrade for that? I don’t recall. Thought it was only 2.5k? 9k is pretty steep for this market segment and we aren’t talking 4% of a a few thousand cars.

Nope. We’ve just had our first disagreement. Sorry, but our relationship has no where to go but down now.

I'm already blacklisted at Electrec, my comments do not show up anymore.
Be careful with calling him for what he is, he will blacklist you.

My "one step to far" was a comment: "Who needs enemies, with friends like this".

Think I might have been too - I was sure I posted a comment the other day, but couldn't find it back?

Fred's credibility is fading daily. What a shame, he was a great source for several years.

Nice to see the typical 100k shares per minute rate and climbing from the dip and green (relative to previous close)...

I wonder if the shorts loaded up on real shares Friday to try and drive it down today (much red volume at open). Guessing that takes more cash?

Thought they sold everything Friday in pre-market 50 points below the SP...

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
It would be interesting to know the upgrade stats on the S 40s. What was the upgrade for that? I don’t recall. Thought it was only 2.5k? 9k is pretty steep for this market segment and we aren’t talking 4% of a a few thousand cars.

If I recall correctly it was originally $10k to upgrade from a S40 to a S60. Plus another $2,500 to enabled Supercharging.

They did eventually, really only recently, drop the upgrade price to something reasonable.

There were also the 75s limited to 60s, for the Model S and X.

Ah, that is true, but how many? Not many. We’re in a different size dimension with the 3.

Nobody has put any numbers to this idea yet. Nobody (in the scheme of things) wanted a 40s. The limited 75s were a result of Tesla changing the battery size while still having some orders for 60s to be fulfilled, so Tesla gave them what they ordered. Different circumstances.

WOW! 300 close this week?
I would love to say yes, but I have come to have a deep seeded respect (loathing) for the short's ability to rebound regardless of the accuracy of information they choose to do it with. When no information is free from being spun any way you want, your limitations become nonexistent.

Dan

So one problem with the LR-limited-to-SR idea for existing inventory (which is still moving quickly, AFAIK, just not as quickly as AWD) is that a fair amount of the SR buyers may also want a non-premium interior, to actually get their $35-36k car. (For that matter, if I were in the market (I'm not right now), LR non-premium RWD is what I'd want. (It's not even the cost that's the biggest factor, it's the fact that I despise leather and vinyl interiors, and actually prefer textile.))

Another problem is that they advertised the weight of an SR car as being significantly lighter than LR, and an artificially reduced capacity LR would not meet that requirement. (However, I could see a Model Y Medium Range based on the LR battery and upgradeable to LR after the fact making more sense, to avoid having three module sizes in the production pipeline, and allow a cheaper entry point after LR demand is satisfied.)

Ah, that is true, but how many? Not many. We’re in a different size dimension with the 3.

Nobody has put any numbers to this idea yet. Nobody (in the scheme of things) wanted a 40s. The limited 75s were a result of Tesla changing the battery size while still having some orders for 60s to be fulfilled, so Tesla gave them what they ordered. Different circumstances.

That's not true. When I ordered my 60D S in May 2016 they had 3 models: 60(locked from 75), 75 and 90. That setup lasted at least 6 months if not more, and there was definitely no "fulfill old configuration order' business. It was very explicit and price difference was significant for me to choose 60S. They dropped upgrade price from 10,000 to 2,000 recently.

I know at least 2 other people locally who have ordered a 60 around the same time and haven't upgraded...

Open looked strange, first +3%, then +0%, then +6% in a minute. Some bots got rich on behalf of some whale?
looks like in first 8 minutes, same number of shares, more or less, bought /sold
oops, top graph is price, low ~$263, high spike to $278, last is graph is ~$272.5
upload_2018-9-10_10-16-29.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.