Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I have followed stocks and CNBC for years and not seen this level of dishonesty with any other stock I have followed. This is a very cleverly worded statement, purposely made to deceive.

I have been a long time fan of Gene Munster due to his analysis on AAPL. Now I am considering adding him to my ignore list. Not just because of this latest episode, there are several cases made me to change my view on him. TSLA is a much more complicated case than AAPL. I found there several things about Elon and Tesla that he failed to understand.

Many years ago, some idiots voted Steve Jobs out of Apple, look what happened after he left Apple? They almost drove Apple to the ground; Those PayPal guys decided to sell PayPal against then largest shareholder/CEO Elon Musk (while he was on vacation), they sold PayPal for $1.5B. Elon said if they kept PayPal, it has huge upside potential. Today PayPal's market cap is $106B.

In my view, those who don't like the founder/CEO, should find companies they like and invest in those, instead of trying to remove the founder/CEO. I rarely see good outcome when they replace the founder/CEO.

Ultimately, Elon and his team are doing the heavy lifting, they created amazing products that people love. Most investors, including Gene Munster and those institution investors are just taking free rides. If you don't like it, just vote with your feet, get out of it. Let Elon and his team do the job.

By far the biggest mistake Elon made was to sacrifice sleep. Lack of sleep will affect judgement, creativity, and health. That can lead to other problems. I hope he will learn the lesson. Don't do real time interviews, everything should be checked by the lawyers before publishing. Don't give out anything with concrete dates.

I have been a long time fan of Gene Munster due to his analysis on AAPL. Now I am considering adding him to my ignore list. Not just because of this latest episode, there are several cases made me to change my view on him. TSLA is a much more complicated case than AAPL. I found there several things about Elon and Tesla that he failed to understand.

Many years ago, some idiots voted Steve Jobs out of Apple, look what happened after he left Apple? They almost drove Apple to the ground; Those PayPal guys decided to sell PayPal against then largest shareholder/CEO Elon Musk (while he was on vacation), they sold PayPal for $1.5B. Elon said if they kept PayPal, it has huge upside potential. Today PayPal's market cap is $106B.

In my view, those who don't like the founder/CEO, should find companies they like and invest in those, instead of trying to remove the founder/CEO. I rarely see good outcome when they replace the founder/CEO.

Ultimately, Elon and his team are doing the heavy lifting, they created amazing products that people love. Most investors, including Gene Munster and those institution investors are just taking free rides. If you don't like it, just vote with your feet, get out of it. Let Elon and his team do the job.

By far the biggest mistake Elon made was to sacrifice sleep. Lack of sleep will affect judgement, creativity, and health. That can lead to other problems. I hope he will learn the lesson. Don't do real time interviews, everything should be checked by the lawyers before publishing. Don't give out anything with concrete dates.

Just one point; he’s not sacrificing sleep. He can’t sleep because he can’t quiet his mind.

At least the board should drop Kimbal Musk. Pick up a few more independent board members. Let Elon remain chairperson.

I think it was great to add the recent independent board members in the past year. As I think it helped in the most recent reorg and creation of President of Automotive.
Totally agree about KM.

I don't trust anyone to be honest and trustworthy when it comes to criticizing a company that has demonstrated it is a clear and present danger to the continued wealth of some pretty evil corporations. All you need do is see how Republicans criticized Trump before and after he was elected, only to vote with him. People sell out. Munster in 2017 had hopes of collecting 20 million for his Loop Ventures. I didn't investigate further, but that small amount means he doesn't have that much in TSLA. He may have sold out for some offer. Or not. I certainly have no proof but I suspect everyone of ulterior motives when it comes to attacking Elon as a means of hurting Tesla.

Personally I am tired of reading criticism of Musk taking a toke. Or his pedo tweet. Or that of funding secured. More model 3s are being produced than the naysayers predicted and the quality has improved along with performance being better than advertised. He is not looking for funding, but if he is, it isn't from traditional sources. Can you say China?

What does the guy have to do to be exempt him from pretty criticism? Or is it more that some short term traders, who claim to be bulls, lost a stack of bills during the recent dip? Like Serena claiming there was a referee to blame for her losing the match when she was being taken out pretty easily by a stronger competitor without any help from officials.

Perhaps there is some benefit in increasing the size of the board, but because Tesla and Musk are so much a focus of everyone in business as well as entertainment, the only obvious addition has to be someone who is both popular, respected, and is most likely to engage EM in some really interesting debates both publicly and behind doors. That person is Neil deGrasse Tyson. Who wouldn't want to watch three hours or more of the two of them discussing the future?

OK, that's my rant. I'm just letting off steam. Nothing we discuss here will make a damn bit of difference. Nobody here will be able to change the board or Musk's behavior. If you haven't invested for the long term, don't complain about what Musk says or does. The better advice would be to make sure your "investments" cover both extremes of market reaction.

Hopefully, they are away from Crabtree creek?

I just flew into MYR to pick up my Blue X and drive to Charlotte. Beach is pretty quiet but those who are left are quite worried.

Mandatory evacuation off OIB for tourists 8am tomorrow, residents Wednesday.

Irma hit Naples LY and now Florence is taking aim at my beach house. I’m thinking Jim Cantore doesn’t like me.

Hoping for the best.
Jim Cantore line was funny, but I know how you feel. We lost our vacation house on Pensacola Beach in 2004 with Ivan. Found the foundation under 2 feet of beautiful white sand. Found our fridge a few blocks away. What had been a nicely chilled bottle of vodka was still in the freezer, unbroken. Goofy.

I don't trust anyone to be honest and trustworthy when it comes to criticizing a company that has demonstrated it is a clear and present danger to the continued wealth of some pretty evil corporations. All you need do is see how Republicans criticized Trump before and after he was elected, only to vote with him. People sell out. Munster in 2017 had hopes of collecting 20 million for his Loop Ventures. I didn't investigate further, but that small amount means he doesn't have that much in TSLA. He may have sold out for some offer. Or not. I certainly have no proof but I suspect everyone of ulterior motives when it comes to attacking Elon as a means of hurting Tesla.

Personally I am tired of reading criticism of Musk taking a toke. Or his pedo tweet. Or that of funding secured. More model 3s are being produced than the naysayers predicted and the quality has improved along with performance being better than advertised. He is not looking for funding, but if he is, it isn't from traditional sources. Can you say China?

What does the guy have to do to be exempt him from pretty criticism? Or is it more that some short term traders, who claim to be bulls, lost a stack of bills during the recent dip? Like Serena claiming there was a referee to blame for her losing the match when she was being taken out pretty easily by a stronger competitor without any help from officials.

Perhaps there is some benefit in increasing the size of the board, but because Tesla and Musk are so much a focus of everyone in business as well as entertainment, the only obvious addition has to be someone who is both popular, respected, and is most likely to engage EM in some really interesting debates both publicly and behind doors. That person is Neil deGrasse Tyson. Who wouldn't want to watch three hours or more of the two of them discussing the future?

OK, that's my rant. I'm just letting off steam. Nothing we discuss here will make a damn bit of difference. Nobody here will be able to change the board or Musk's behavior. If you haven't invested for the long term, don't complain about what Musk says or does. The better advice would be to make sure your "investments" cover both extremes of market reaction.
Mr. Tyson might be an interesting BoD addition to SpaceX but not Tesla. How about someone with some shipping or manufacturing experience? That would be a great addition don't you think?

Just about any business background would be more useful than a chef getting paid $1.5 million, who seems to do nothing but cash his very cheap options each quarter. Because he is Elon's brother he has to recuse himself from every important vote or committee. So why is he still there?

A relative and I were discussing this today after all the cars we saw up in Charlotte recently. Some of our friends are already being evacuated from SC and the coastal areas of NC. Hopefully, Tesla is looking for parking structures or possible empty warehouses. Finding enough carriers to move cars at this point is probably not going to happen. Hospital parking structures have been used by some dealers here in Florida. But most multi-story parking will do. They are all-concrete and great for protection from rain, flying debris, and hail.
I sure hope they can find some to rent! Maybe make an m3 donation to the boss, would be a cheap investment.

If this does not reduce demand, it adds in 16 million a month profit.
It was bound to rise again. Demand is too high for AWD and not high enough for RWD. Solution: Increase the price spread between the options to get the order rate back into Tesla's preferred balance for optimum production levels. Bloomberg is now predicting about 3,500 units this week, so the balance is off.

Increase AWD price but maintain performance model price. Increase demand for Performance model. Smart
Exactly. The price points got too close together for RWD and AWD so people said what the heck lets go for AWD. If you look at Troy's spreadsheet AWD is far and away leaving RWD in the dust to the point where production cannot keep up. So make AWD less popular for those who do not need it. If you do really need it you will willingly pay more. Smart move.

Seems like this could affect trading tomorrow, or later this week. I gather Tesla's on top of it, but it's a fine topic for FUD. Other brands are also affected.

Hackers Can Steal a Tesla Model S in Seconds by Cloning Its Key Fob

"Wired" article about key fob cloning

It's not great, but:
1) it's harder to pull off than the headline would have you believe (attacker needs to be within fob range of a target car, and then get within 3 feet of that car's fob. Then they can compute the future codes in seconds, on their computer with several-terabyte hard drive.
2) Tesla has already done a lot to address it, via upgraded fobs on vehicles since June, and PIN to drive and software update allowing fixed fobs to be added to vulnerable older Model S vehicles. What have the other impacted manufacturers done? (Signal-blocking pouches. I am not joking.)
3) "Starts the engine?" Come on, Wired. You're better than that...

It was bound to rise again. Demand is too high for AWD and not high enough for RWD. Solution: Increase the price spread between the options to get the order rate back into Tesla's preferred balance for optimum production levels. Bloomberg is now predicting about 3,500 units this week, so the balance is off.

BUT: Bloomberg has updated also this...

Screenshot_20180911-072405_Chrome.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Status
Not open for further replies.